Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,079 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how dangerous a centipede bite is to a small dog?
Dog is between 10 - 15lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
No more dangerous than a bee sting. The flat blue ones are venomous, but not deadly. The big red ones just have a big bad bite.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
I've never heard of a dog being bitten by a centipede. I think a scorpion may be more of a threat, I saw a full size one, by Maui standards anyways, maybe 3 inches long, at a job site in Pakakalo a few years back. I'ld be more concerned about those 2 ton monsters being driven by idiots in a hurry over here.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

Old 07-25-2007, 03:24 PM

It's the big red ones I am worried about.

We are moving and a friend told me they used to live in the same development - they had centipedes come in their place.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Centipedes are gonna get in, so are scorpions, ants, sumo sized cockroaches, geckos, (you gotta aloha those little guys). It makes no difference if you're in a mansion in Waliea, or a cane shack in Haiku, it's just a fact of life over here. I found one on the ceiling of my condo in Nuuanu once, and I was on the fifteenth floor, had to admire the multilegged guys determination. You're going to find biting critters anywhere you go, I'm sure there's something in your neighborhood. But look on the bright side, there's no snakes in Hawaii, well, at least so far, that we know of.

Aloha

Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM

376 posts, read 490,074 times
Are there really no snakes there? I never even thought about that. They are all over the mainland. From AZ (where I am) to VA (where friends are). As a matter of fact, my friend's dog was killed (in VA) by a snake bite. One of the many nice things about Hawaii. Oh, and when I came to visit Maui, I couldn't believe how there were wild cats everywhere. There was more than one occasion (this was only a week long trip) that people brought large bags of food out to the wild where families of kitties were. Out here, they would be rounded up and taken away. (many to be killed) If I see one or two strays here it is a big day. I am sure part of it is the lack of rabies, but surprising that they allow it there because of the excessive breeding. (I wonder if they do the catch, spay/neuter and release?) Many interesting differences between here and there! Aloha

Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Hawaii does have a relatively native snake, I caught one in my condo about a year ago, they get to be about 5 inches long, but are definitely snakes. They found a boa constrictor sleeping on a cops driveway here in Kihei a few years back, some idiot brought it over as a pet, probably, well hopefully anyways, not realizing it was against the law. As far as stray cats are concerned, I've got one sound asleep on the floor right now. Had her, and her daughter neutered long time ago. I feed a whole bunch of kittens every evening here, plan is to get them to the point where I can catch them, take them to the MHS, get them fixed, and bring them back. Ferile cats are a real problem over here.

Aloha

Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Centipedes are gonna get in, so are scorpions, ants, sumo sized cockroaches, geckos,
Bugs in general don't bother me, I'm worried about my dog being bitten/strung by a centipede.

Personally I've never seen scorpions in metro Honolulu and no one has ever told be about their experiences with them. However several friends and co-workers have had stories about centidepes. Centidepes freak me out.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM

67 posts, read 228,670 times
Get rid of centipedes. Spray your place with apple cider vinegar.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinethehowlingdemocrat View Post
Get rid of centipedes. Spray your place with apple cider vinegar.
Thanks for the tip! I heard boric acid works, just not sure how safe it is for the dog and humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii