Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 AM

682 posts, read 2,785,995 times

Advertisements

For sushi plus other Japanese food, I'd recommend Maguro-ya on Waialae. Don't know if you'll have any real reason to be hanging out in Kaimuki as a tourist, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,871,452 times
Catch of the Sea is a fun sushi place on Oahu. The sushi comes around on little boats. You can order specific things if you like and some of the sushi is cooked.

Genki Sushi is good, too. They have a conveyor belt that the sushi goes around on. You gather up the ones you like as they go by and then you pay for the pile of plates left on your table afterwards. Same with Catch of the Sea.

There are tons of eateries on Oahu, I'm sure you will find one everyone can like.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM

77 posts, read 212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
For sushi plus other Japanese food, I'd recommend Maguro-ya on Waialae. Don't know if you'll have any real reason to be hanging out in Kaimuki as a tourist, though.
We'll only be a tourist for a few weeks, then rolling into the grind of living there, so a variety of places to see and eat will be in order Thank you!

And Hotcatz - thanks! That one with the boat sounds like one my friends and I used to have all of our Hail and Farewell dinners at in Okinawa - I can't wait to try it!

Thanks for all the suggestions, the more the better! With 3+ years I'm sure there will be time for a lot of eating out, especially with family and friends visiting

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,500,247 times
Sensei Sushi was always my favorite! SANSEI Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - Dinner Nightly 5:30 to 10:00 P.M.
It's located inside the Mariott in Waikiki. My dad, who is super picky and will not touch raw fish, was very happy with the other options available!

And if you haven't tried poke yet, definitely give it a go - you can find it at just about every single market/grocery store/etc. Poke was one of my favorite foods when I lived in Hawaii. I was actually able to find a grocery store here in Syracuse NY that had sushi AND understood what poke was. Of course Hawaii's is always better, but I can still get my fix whenever I want

Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Hey, thanks!!! That sounds perfect! Is Poke pronounced like "I'm gonna poke you", or like "po-kee"?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
Hey, thanks!!! That sounds perfect! Is Poke pronounced like "I'm gonna poke you", or like "po-kee"?
It's pronounced "po-kay"

Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,457,444 times
Poke is great!

Hawaii's Home for Poke | Foodland

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM

It looks delicious!!!! Can't wait to try that "po-kay"

Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,574,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Sensei Sushi was always my favorite! SANSEI Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar - Dinner Nightly 5:30 to 10:00 P.M.
It's located inside the Mariott in Waikiki. My dad, who is super picky and will not touch raw fish, was very happy with the other options available!

I will second that in fact I will eat there this weekend although I do like the sushi boat places

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
It looks delicious!!!! Can't wait to try that "po-kay"
To tell the truth, where I trade I hear it said "pokee" as much as "po kay", and sometimes halfway between. As in I like poke ahi (pokee ah hee), which is made from 'ahi tuna. Tako poke is made from octopus. Lomi Poke from salmon, often salted salmon. The most common is ahi, often offered in several flavors at supermarkets... such as plain (usually with onions and seaweed) , teriyaki, and sesame. Flavor preferences are like condiment preferences for hot dogs... very personal and all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii