Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 36,948 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in Oahu (Kaimuki) for a short period of time a few years ago and have since always wanted to move back to the islands. I never visited any of the other islands though.

Im in a specialized health care field and there are quite a few jobs in my field that have recently come to my attention. Kauai, Maui, and Oahu all have opportunities. As far as income Ill be in the $70-$80K a year range, possibly a little more but more then likely this is where Ill land.

Im trying to decide between the islands, having never been to either Maui or Kauai it makes it a bit difficult to do.

Im not much for nightlife, I hate clubs as a matter of fact. Im 33 and while there was a time in my life I loved that scene and took full advantage of it, these days I dont even drink and am much more outdoor activity oriented. I liked the options Honolulu brings with the different restaurants for the most part. Also, I do like the fact that with more people, comes more like minded personalities in which to do things with. As far as hiking groups or outdoor exercise teams. Then again though ... I hated the tourism.

From what Ive read Kauai sounds great and relaxing ....... but I do wonder if I would come to miss some of the options a city has to offer after a year or so. Then again, its not like they dont have ANY kind of restaurants or shops. Also, I like the idea of a more laid back community, with less tourism and less stress. Rural living on the islands sounds great, Im definately not against it... but as mentioned Im not sure if I would get bored after a year or so.

By far, my primary source of entertainment is the outdoors. Hard core hiking, diving, spearfishing ... and of course beaches with all their activities. I dont know much about Maui but from the sounds of it, it seems as maybe a half way point between Kauai and Oahu. Maybe a bit more options then Kauai but not as much as Oahu .... of course I hear theres more tourism there and Im not thrilled about that.

Im in a good, long term relationship with marriage in our future (maybe the next few years) so I'm pretty grounded these days and looking for things we can enjoy together, and shes as excited about outdoor activities and healthy living as I am. Kids are not part of our near future, so Im not concerned with the school situation.

Any input is greatly appreciated. If anyone that has living experience on the islands and could describe their feel and vib, and what they think about the pros and cons I would be eternally grateful. Ive been back and forth for awhile now and need to make a decision.

Thanks!!

Last edited by OZZZ; 03-31-2011 at 04:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
From reading your post, I think you are more suited for Maui. Although the tourism exists, and is a necessary part of the HI life, there are areas in Maui that are not devoted to the tourist lifestyle. IMO Kauai might be little too laid back for what you describe you are interested in, although activities such as hiking, snorkeling and numerous beautiful beaches are a wonderful part of Kauai.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks for your input.

I suppose I should mention that I would like to be able to garden. Its not a must, but would great if I can get away with it. Kauai and Maui both seem to have houses with small yards that can be rented in the $1200-$1400 range whereas in Oahu Im not seeing that.

Nothing crazy ... but maybe 10 plants or so would be great (bell pepper, tomato, chilli pepper, etc).

As I mentioned its not a must but it does seem like in Oahu if I dont want to spend over $1500 a month in rent ... Im looking at strictly apartments or condo's (which is ok), whereas in Kauai and Maui there are houses close to the hospitals in that range for rent.

Then again, Oahu has a great bus system. We will have one car but Ill be letting my girl use it and Ill probably take the bus. Thats another consideration. Either that or Ill need to be close enough to the hospital that I can ride a bike or walk.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
Honolulu: Pros - I wasn't a party person either but really appreciated there was never a lack of activities. The 2nd time I moved back I lived in a small 2-story complex right near the zoo that felt a world away from Waikiki – small but nice lanai and great cross breeze, no a/c necessary. This time around we were able to furnish our place a little nicer which gave us less of a transitory feeling. Within a block was a little co-op garden and two streets over the People's Market would set up once a week where I could buy fresh produce (somebody posted a great link a few days ago and I don't think I saw it listed but I did see one near Kapiolani CC not far away). The location of this place was ideal as I could walk right across Kapiolani Park and the beach was right there, very beautiful and walkable area. I worked downtown and it was easier to just hop on The Bus rather than drive but I did have a car for my frequent trips around the island – easy in, easy out. Management was choosy about who rented there which was a plus, always quiet, peaceful and residents were respectful. I also lived in Makiki and Kailua for awhile but this was my very favorite area. I do enjoy some of the in-town stuff - local concerts, swap meets, great restaurants and entertainment. I felt I had the best of both worlds.
Cons: For me, not too many!

Kauai: Only got to spend two years there but loved, loved, loved it. Unsurpassed beauty which I never took for granted. For me, I loved the old-style feel of the island. Maybe it’s changed somewhat but at the time, many of the structures were old, some plantation style with peeling paint that just gave the place such an authentic quality. I loved that. It was quiet living but we always had family visiting so never had time to get bored. We ran our car to the ground, lol. Kind of lost my confidence as a swimmer when I almost drowned at a place called Running Waters – Kauai taught me to be very, very respectful of anything in which mother nature had a hand! I left those waves (lethal at times) to the experts. Hiked into the Kalalau Valley, camped at Hanakapi’ai – that was an experience, spent a lot of time at Poipu, worked at a hotel which is no longer and created a lifetime of great memories. It was bittersweet leaving but I also looked forward getting back to Oahu.

I’m not qualified to really even offer an opinion since I only visited Maui when we were offered an opportunity to manage a tourist-oriented business going in. I can’t pinpoint exactly why it just didn’t appeal to me quite as much because it’s also very beautiful. It just seemed to have a more hip, trendy feel to it than Kauai. We stayed at a resort and mainly around the Lahaina area so that probably colored my view.

Last edited by ohmanon; 03-31-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
if the money you earn is the same on all three islands I would do either kauai or maui as you already know what oahu life is like. I think you would be fine on either island really. kauai does rain a lot more often than maui which is one thing that makes me wonder how I would do if I relocated there. I love the quietness of kauai.

if you don't want to commute more than say 20 mins or so every work day take a look at the map and see where you will be living. I don't know kauai enough to comment, but on maui the hospital is in an area where you don't see a lot of tourists. you should be able to find something where you can garden. heck you can have a container garden on your lanai if you don't have a yard. depending on where you live (and what your girl friend wants to do)having only one car and riding the bus might be hard. perhaps a bike or a small scooter? there are tons of places to eat here and tons of places to snorkel. good luck

Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
If you would make the same money no matter which island, then stay away from Oahu. The expenses of living there will eat up your money.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I will make the same amount of money, regardless of where I go. I agree with about everything said above ... lol ... which is what makes it so hard; gardening isnt an absolute must, and I certainly can do the container garden if need be as mentioned above (I had that planned in the event I ended up on Oahu).

I can see the appreciation for multiple activities that oahu has to offer ... plus the dining choices, and I did like it there. I also can see the appreciation for Kauai... quiet, beautiful... more laid back.

........ and then theres Maui.

I guess, if it comes down to Kauai or Maui ... I think I would pick Kauai from the research Ive done. Cant really put my finger on why though. So looking at it that way, that leaves me with Oahu or Kauai I guess lol. That would be a good way to think of it, the only problem is the Job that is on Maui is SLIGHTLY more appealing for a reason thats beyond the scope of this thread.

So now Im all screwed up again :P

In the end, I have not lived on Kauai or Maui ... so it would be great to experience one of the other islands, and if I can retain more of my income on those other islands than Oahu ... all the better.

I would have the option of jumping ship after a couple two or three years if I really wanted to... so thats always an option.

I mostly go back and forth between Kauai and Oahu. Just when I think Ive decided ... I read somethig else that throws me off.

Hell, maybe Ill just flip a coin and let life happen at a chance.

Literally

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Here's a quiz you can take which will help you rank all the islands according to your own particular sense of what's "important". It is geared toward visitors rather than residents, but should help:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Hank

Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, my scores on that quiz came up as follows:

Kauai 246ptsOahu 238ptsMaui 234ptsBig Island 230pts

However... Im not sure I trust their scoring system.

Look how they grade the restaraut selection:

Restaurants

[Oahu:9 Maui:10 Kauai:10 Big Island:8]

You mean to tell me Kauai has more of a food selection then Oahu? I dont think so

Unless Im mistaken but that goes agaist everything Ive read anyway??

Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
if you can you should invest in a flight and come over for a week. stay both in kauai and maui. you will know for sure which island then. well worth the investment if you are talking staying for 2 to 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii