Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM

159 posts, read 367,396 times

Advertisements

We'll definately be on the dry side of Oahu or Maui, I've seen enough rain in Amsterdam to last me a life time. lol

Catz, great that you mentioned mattresses, 'cause that was one of the things I was going to sell. We'll keep the queen set and just sell the king since most rentals seem to have full-size showing. But I don't want DH touching me while I sleep. "Move your elbows, damn it." Don't be thinking dirty...I heard your brain working overtime. ; )

Jolie, Eksotia is in Honolulu and her's are doing ok. I'm just going to contain myself and only buy my bookcases with glass doors for my reference books I need for work.

If the bedframe fits in the container, I'll take it, otherwise I donate it with the other last minute things we decide not to take.

Appreciate the input from all. ; ) Ruby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Read the product description. If it says wood, you only havsed to deal with humidity changes that can cause some to warp. If it says mositure resistant MDF, fiberboard, or particle board, it's coated againt himidity. If it only says MDF, particle board or fiberboard, the exposed areas can have problems. Just apply a sealer to exposed edges to keep moisture from being sucked into it. But in heavy humid areas, it still can start to crumble or expand.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
We haven't decided on Oahu or Maui, running the numbers based on hubby's monthly retirement funds. I'll want to work, just because I would go crazy otherwise. Have a diverse background so I'm sure I could find something...also clean up well. haha

What city to you live in?

Thanks again for your input! Ruby
We're in Kihei. It feels "dry" to me, until I go to the mainland and get really not-humid!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha_silverlining View Post
We'll definately be on the dry side of Oahu or Maui, I've seen enough rain in Amsterdam to last me a life time. lol

Catz, great that you mentioned mattresses, 'cause that was one of the things I was going to sell. We'll keep the queen set and just sell the king since most rentals seem to have full-size showing. But I don't want DH touching me while I sleep. "Move your elbows, damn it." Don't be thinking dirty...I heard your brain working overtime. ; )

Jolie, Eksotia is in Honolulu and her's are doing ok. I'm just going to contain myself and only buy my bookcases with glass doors for my reference books I need for work.

If the bedframe fits in the container, I'll take it, otherwise I donate it with the other last minute things we decide not to take.

Appreciate the input from all. ; ) Ruby
The kona side of Maui isn't going to destroy your furniture.

From a lot of posts on this forum you'd think Hawaii was all rainforest. In reality, it's not any more humid than the south, even in the rainforests.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:33 PM

159 posts, read 367,396 times
Calico, we went from 60 raining to 98 drier than dirt in one day. You're skin would look like a raisin after last week. LOL

Wink, just the locals, trying to keep us from coming over. ; ) I know that the islands have differant micro-climates within each island, but I do want to stay on the dryest side plus near the ocean. We've live in or near the foothills most of our lives, no more mountains for me, want something different.

Besides if I really liked a lot of rain, I'd go back home to Holland. Don't like gray and wet, that's why I'm in the States. hehe.

Good day, Ruby

Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In reality, it's not any more humid than the south, even in the rainforests.
It's 7am up here in Volcano, I'm making coffee, and it's 63 degrees and 96 percent humidity.

Another thing to consider about your move, especially if you do settle in a place with high humidity, is that books and art prints and watercolors, etc. have a propensity to mildew. Heck, everything paper does.

Heck, everything does... I hung a cloth shopping bag on a hook on the wall... it must have been damp, because next time I grabbed it, the side facing the wall was mildewed. Same for the inside of the suitcase I just pulled down from the shelf. Same for the back of a picture I just moved to sweep away a cobweb.

Same same for the kitchen cabinets, which are solid wood, and which I have to wipe down with a light bleach solution from time to time to remove the mildew that keeps trying to catch hold, and the bathroom is a constant strugg Anyway, I'm a book lover myself, but I sold off some art and fine books before moving over because I knew they wouldn't fare so well here. And I'm never surprised when I pick up a used book at the thrift store and notice it's got some mildew damage. It just goes with the territory. Even the dry side of each island can be quite damp near the ocean.

Another thing, amusing to me, when talking about population centers, the state of Hawai'i it's more accurate to ask "What town do you live in?" Honolulu is a city. Effectively that's the entire list of cities for the state. The rest is just towns, if that.

At about 46,000 population, Hilo is still technically a city, I think, having been incorporated in 1911, but it isn't run that way today. The government is county, and county runs the island. Most of the towns don't even have a local government.

Hawai'i is small. And much of it is damp. It's funny to me how surprised people can be by one or the other of those facts.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-05-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Read the product description. If it says wood, you only havsed to deal with humidity changes that can cause some to warp. If it says mositure resistant MDF, fiberboard, or particle board, it's coated againt himidity. If it only says MDF, particle board or fiberboard, the exposed areas can have problems. Just apply a sealer to exposed edges to keep moisture from being sucked into it. But in heavy humid areas, it still can start to crumble or expand.
Great points. I was curious, so I checked the IKEA site for a Hemnes bed. Under Product Information it said:

Head/footboards:
Moisture resistant MDF, Acrylic paint

Bed sides:
Particleboard, Acrylic paint

Soooooo, the sides need some attention to treat against humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii