Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 36,760 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for information on shipping costs from Hawaii to Seattle, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I have a large 1 bedroom apt and would like to ship most my things with me when I move back to the mainland. I was hoping to pay under 2grand since there really isn't that much to move. I'm okay with boxing things up myself and even driving it out to sand island to be loaded up in a pallet if it can cut down on costs- I just want to see if a few of my nicer things- glass computer desks, kitchen utensils, framed artwork, electronics can make it to the west coast safely and without being too expensive.

Is there a cheaper alternative than pods or matson? If there is no cheap solution, I'm okay with selling everything but I would still need to ship electronics safely (couple desktop computers and lcd monitors). Anyone recommend a cheap safe way for shipping these items?

Thanks!

Last edited by MajiiDe; 06-18-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
Cheapest way I've ever found to ship stuff is to box it up yourself and deliver it to the docks where it is shipped as "mixed freight" in a G-van with other people's stuff. You get to load it into the container and unload it on the other end, too. We've only done that inter-island, though, dunno what the Hawaii-mainland version would be. Securely boxed and then all the boxes shrink wrapped on a pallet is a nice secure way to ship since they can't take any one box without disturbing the load. Other folks will be in and out of the small container so having it nicely wrapped cuts down on possible pilferage.

Usually, ocean freight goes by volume and not weight so wrapped in as small a volume as possible is best. We occasionally ship in small heavy things via ocean freight just because any other shipping method is too expensive, but that's with a food co-op where there are enough people ordering to fill up several pallets so we get a discount on the quantity shipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii