Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:21 PM

17 posts, read 46,155 times

Advertisements

Is big island any good compared to Oahu?

What's the best phone company to go with for land line and cell phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HawaiiOahu View Post

What's the best phone company to go with for land line and cell phone?
It is like a comparison between New York City and rural village.
Some like the big city and some can't stand it.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM

17 posts, read 46,155 times
Ahh ok thanks for that I have never gone to other island except for Maui and i found that island to be real full of racist white people. I could see it being trashed out on non white people especially at restaurants where they dont get served food like white people would.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
That's a bizarre experience of Maui, what areas were you in? It's been decades since I've been on Maui, though, so I wouldn't know how normal that experience is but we do have some forum folks on Maui who might be able to chime in on if that's a usual sort of thing to expect.

I'm not sure if you could compare Oahu to Hawaii (Big Island) other than the fact that they are both islands near each other. Totally different vibe, resources, density, etc.

I think there is only one phone company you can use if you want a land line, Hawaiian Tel. For cell phone, the best one seems to do with your location since some of them have better coverage in some areas than others.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,769 times
Quote:
Ahh ok thanks for that I have never gone to other island except for Maui and i found that island to be real full of racist white people. I could see it being trashed out on non white people especially at restaurants where they dont get served food like white people would.
I go to Maui monthly and have yet to see anyone "trashed out" at any restaurants or bars regardless of color. I did see a couple bozo's throw out of the Macaroni Grill in Waikaloa yesterday for using foul language and disturbing other diners. It had nothing to do with their color and everything to do with their behaviour.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Depends on what you like. The way you phrase implies that you do believe Oahu is best, and implies your asking if the Big Island is similar. It's not similar, it's a completely different island in feel in almost every conceivable way.

Reading your additional posts on this thread...it looks like you've only been to Maui besides Oahu. Well, Big Island is about as laid-back in feeling....but completely different. If you are on the Hilo side, it has more of a local feel. Maui basically attracts people who have a lot more money, and the Big Island seems to attract some with money, and a whole lot without as well.

Quote:
However, your statements about racist white people on Maui. It sounds like you really don't like white people at all...and if thats the case, you'll see white people on both Oahu and the Big Island as well.

If you do have an inherent bias against whites, you'll probably experience that same bias and dislike of them wherever you go.

As a white guy myself, I've seen numerous numerous numerous times where I didn't get great service by white people...so if that's your issue with them...than it's certainly an interesting one to tie it exclusively into racism claims. You might want to just examine all your racial biases in general.

If your giving off 'I hate white people' vibes wherever you go, it's also possible they are picking up on it.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,797 times
Quote:
...bradah..put the ice pipe down and get some sleep...

Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,718 times
Quote:
I can sell you a small pack of commas real cheap.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Everyone has different tastes and needs. Some people love the Big Island. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances. Some people feel they have experienced racism on Maui; I would find that very surprising. One family on this board states they have found their Paradise in a condo in Makaha. To me that would be more like Hell than Paradise.I love Honolulu. A lot of people don't. Everyone has different tolerances. That's why these boards are only the beginning step in exploring a new place to live.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:03 PM

159 posts, read 367,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Everyone has different tastes and needs. Some people love the Big Island. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances. Some people feel they have experienced racism on Maui; I would find that very surprising. One family on this board states they have found their Paradise in a condo in Makaha. To me that would be more like Hell than Paradise.I love Honolulu. A lot of people don't. Everyone has different tolerances. That's why these boards are only the beginning step in exploring a new place to live.
Aloha Eureka, made me laugh...one man's trash, is another man's treasure. So true about tolerances and such. We've been driving all over and when we make the turn on Kili Drive, we still love our mountains, beach and quiet the best from the 15th floor. BUT if I wasn't able to telecommute and had to work Downtown...I would be in a high-rise there. I'm a view person as high up as I can afford. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii