Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAndi View Post
I booked my husband and I in Oahu for our 10 day vacation next month, but now I'm wondering after reading so many negative things on here about Oahu
Who's saying all the bad stuff about Oahu, and what are they saying?

I love Oahu myself. I can see the attractions to all of the various island as well.

I think some people just don't like cities...for me, I'm completely fine with cities. I find quite a bit of Oahu is not a city either. It's a great mix of both, which I personally enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I LOVE Oahu and think that it is a must stop on Hawaiian vacations. Many people only think of Waikiki when they think of Oahu but there is so much culture and history (Bishop museum, Iolani Palace, Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl...etc etc). Also, I love visiting the North Shore and driving back down through Kaneohe or going to Kailua/Lanikai.

However, Oahu is built up and many people don't care for the highways and highrises that exist there. I work at a hotel in Kauai and often receive visitors who arrive after being in Oahu. So many of them say that Kauai is the Hawaii that they were anticipating- slow pace, rural, green and lush. I think 10 days would give you adequate time to see 2 islands and would encourage you to visit Oahu and a neighbor island. Whether you go to Maui, Kauai or BI is up to you and what you like to do. Do some research- maybe visit Trip Advisor and decide from there...

Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Andi, here is a quiz you can take which will help you decide which island(s) would appeal to your personal likes and dislikes. I suggest you and your husband each take the quiz independently, and then compare results:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Default If it's not too late..

Hi, andi, please don't think it presumptuous of me to friend you before I even made my first comment, and I'm halfway through a PM that is turning out WAY too long, and I'm asleep on my feet (or derrière, as it were) so I'll try to get it to you before you leave. We're returning in September ourselves, before I go completely out of my mind (home pressures, and Maui is my happy place).
I felt I should try to contact you because, while I don't have fibro, I have many other issues, chronic pain being a huge part of my life. And as you know, unless someone's walked in your shoes, NOBODY gets it (which is quite clear from some of your well-meaning posters : ) ).
and then of course There's always the "really easy walk, maybe 100 yards!" problem : sure I can GET there....
But what if i can't get back? I have long term patches now, along with my break-through meds, AND THEY WORK GREAT--!except for sun/heat/water exposure (let's not forget the latex allergy). And the oral meds might be okay, but not @ every 12 hours.
If you have time, get back to me, I'll give you another contact if you'd like to follow through, even while you're there!ll
It's a shame we'll miss each other by a couple of days, too! If I don't hear from you, have a wonderful trip, DON'T over-pack, and gird yourself for sticker shock! Best of luck!
Aloha!
bunny

Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbunny View Post
so I'll try to get it to you before you leave. We're returning in September ourselves,

If you have time, get back to me, I'll give you another contact if you'd like to follow through, even while you're there!ll

It's a shame we'll miss each other by a couple of days, too!
I think you meant a couple of years. Nobody has posted here in 2 years.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
just a quick 2 cents. The Dole Plantation train tour was VERY fun and interesting for us. You can go and eat pineapple ice cream if nothing else! We love the little coffee shop on the way there, too. I recommend that. I love the waterfall at the north shore too, but catch a ride up there and walk back. (bring suits and swim at the waterfall!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii