Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hawaiian Islands you'd realistically live in...?
The Big Island 15 38.46%
Oahu (Honolulu) 21 53.85%
Maui 9 23.08%
Other: Kauai, etc. 8 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times

Advertisements

The inspiration for this thread is simply because I notice most posters are either interested in living cheaply in the Big Island, or a dream-like existance in Maui.

I seldom see interest in Honolulu, which I personally love as a city. I can see why people might not necessarily want to live in a city though if they are attracted to the islands.

I like the mix of people in Hawaii quite a bit, so an urban mixture of them appeals greatly to me.

Nontheless, out of curiousity...which islands are ones you'd consider living in. Taking into realistic accounts of income, finances, jobs, etc. Not your 'dream island', but where do you realistically seeing yourself living in Hawaii with your current income, future income possibilities, etc.?

I kind of assume it'll mostly be Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island...so I'll list those with 'other island' as the 4th option.

You can also vote for more than one, if you so desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
The island that I realistically already chose to live ON (not in) is the Big Island. Originally I would have chosen any island just to be in Hawaii, but we chose the Big Island because (1) it is the largest land mass and so less chance of getting “island fever” (2) it is the most affordable, and (3) it has the lifestyle that we were seeking for our retirement. Why even consider living on an island where you can't afford to buy the kind of house that you want to live in?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,525,997 times
Kauai for me!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,837 times
I don't know why, but the vast majority of mainlanders I know who vacation in Hawaii go to a resort hotel or vacation condo on Maui. A smaller percentage go to the Kona Coast on the BI, and many of those have already been to Maui. An even smaller percentage go to Kauai. Only a handful go to Hilo or Oahu. Most people who vacation in Hawaii want to "get away from it all in paradise," and Honolulu is perceived as being too big of a city to get away from it all. I can't think of anyone who has specifically gone to Waikiki on vacation, although back in the 1960s, Waikiki was what Maui is now.

Since most people who want to move to Hawaii do so because they fell in love with the islands on vacation, that explains the skew toward Maui. The BI attracts people who want to live a simpler life -- especially those who want to be self-sufficient --and also people who can't afford to live on another island. My wife and I would love to live in Honolulu, because it has the city culture and diversity we like, and Oahu is as beautiful as any of the other islands. Realistically, though, we can't move to Hawaii until she retires in a few years, and I don't see any way we can afford a house or condo on Oahu. So the BI is our realistic option, because it's the least expensive, and it's where she's from, so we have a network of friends and family there. We both love Kauai, but it's more expensive than the BI, and she doesn't know anyone there. I've never been to Maui, but it's my wife's least favorite island. She finds most of it dry and unattractive (like the Waikoloa area of the BI), and too touristy.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
We visited Oahu twice in the 15+ years we have been going to the islands on vacation and did enjoy our time there. Once you get away from Honolulu, the city life many want to avoid on vacation, there are beautiful areas of the island to visit.

We have stayed on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Lanai and the island of Hawaii. Each has it's own unique beauty and lifestyle. We have stayed at resorts and condos and prefer the condo type visit. If I had to choose where to live, it would be Maui or Kauai.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,544 times
I can't imagine living on any island than Oahu, for the same reason I can't imagine living in the small town where my mom grew up, a 2.5 hour drive from the nearest city. I love the beach more than anything in the world, but I'm also a city girl at heart.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I don't know why, but the vast majority of mainlanders I know who vacation in Hawaii go to a resort hotel or vacation condo on Maui. A smaller percentage go to the Kona Coast on the BI, and many of those have already been to Maui. An even smaller percentage go to Kauai. Only a handful go to Hilo or Oahu. Most people who vacation in Hawaii want to "get away from it all in paradise," and Honolulu is perceived as being too big of a city to get away from it all. I can't think of anyone who has specifically gone to Waikiki on vacation, although back in the 1960s, Waikiki was what Maui is now.
That may be what your friends do, but here are the actual arrival statistics, numbers of people, by island, for May 2011:

O‘ahu 1,741,506
Maui 891,348
Moloka'i 25,169
Lāna'i 34,177
Kaua‘i 400,790
Hawai‘i Island 552,714

Source:

Visitor Highlights - Hawaii Tourism Authority (http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/research-reports/research/visitor-highlights/ - broken link)
Hank

Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM

698 posts, read 1,511,512 times
I like the other islands to visit, but Honolulu is only the place I would live. I prefer the city life.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times
The poll results are really surprising me.

Usually people talk about Maui and the Big Island. I just assumed Honolulu was seldom spoken about, because so few people were interested in it.

Who knows, maybe Honolulu might get its own forum somday?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The inspiration for this thread is simply because I notice most posters are either interested in living cheaply in the Big Island, or a dream-like existance in Maui.

I seldom see interest in Honolulu, which I personally love as a city. I can see why people might not necessarily want to live in a city though if they are attracted to the islands.

I like the mix of people in Hawaii quite a bit, so an urban mixture of them appeals greatly to me.

Nontheless, out of curiousity...which islands are ones you'd consider living in. Taking into realistic accounts of income, finances, jobs, etc. Not your 'dream island', but where do you realistically seeing yourself living in Hawaii with your current income, future income possibilities, etc.?

I kind of assume it'll mostly be Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island...so I'll list those with 'other island' as the 4th option.

You can also vote for more than one, if you so desire.
Tiger Beer, where in Japan do you live? How does Kyushu compare to Hawaii, weather wise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii