Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 14,499 times

Advertisements

Hello guys...Me and my family will be moving to the Big Island beginning of September. I currently have a 3rd, 6th, 7th and 11th grader. Here in Georgia my kids were offered to take a test to have them promoted to a higher grade than they are currently in because of their academic grades and gifted classes that they are in. On the island, is it possible to have them tested as well their to be promoted or whats the likely-hood of it happening? I also considered homeschooling for a year than have them tested before they go into the public schools. I would love to hear suggestions as I don't want to hold them back from possibly finishing school earlier if they can. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Sounds like a sure way to gaurantee your kids get their asses kicked. I'm guessing they're in a suburban school district right now, where there isn't pressure against doing well in school. It's going to be different on the Big Island. Think inner city schools.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM

We are currently in county about 15 minutes south of Atlanta, GA. So the curriculum is harder where they are now. Before moving to GA we were in Nashville TN and they attended a montossori school. Also we're African American so they definately won't have a problem in an inner city school. We're in the south...lol.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaicam12 View Post
We are currently in county about 15 minutes south of Atlanta, GA. So the curriculum is harder where they are now. Before moving to GA we were in Nashville TN and they attended a montossori school.

Would you send them to an urban Atlanta school? If not, you might want to reconsider the Big Island

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
I would ask that you consider the disadvantage of having a 16 or 17 year old go off to college, living on their own.

They will have barely learned to drive and will be asked to pick a career or field of study that will impact them for the rest of their lives.

Or, if there are no plans for college, they'll end doing what? Most employers won't hire kids under 18, due to work permits and restricted hours.

Just some food for thought...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If they were my kids, I'd enroll them in the public school systems for the peer group interactions such as sports, band, etc., and then cover their core education by homeschooling. I don't think we have all that many "gifted" classes in our public schools, but I haven't looked.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks HotCatz I will do that. Is it possible to just enroll them for the interaction, if so how would I do that?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
I'll let her speak for herself, but I think hotzcatz meant that you would enroll the kids as usual, and supplement their education at home. I don't know if there is a way to have a mix of public schooling but grades derived from home schooling...

I firmly believe that parents need to enhance and supplement public schooling at all times, no matter the location or grade. The public schools are simply not funded, equipped, or motivated in a way to provide the education and follow up that children will need to get a really great basis for life. I'm talking about today, but even decades ago when I was in school, my parents were very involved in our schooling.

We don't have kids, but I haven't heard of any advanced programs in the public schools on Maui. There are extra-curricular activities that aren't sports based, but I don't think they are offered by the regular system.

I agree - put them in a school system, whether public or private, to get all the benefits of group interaction and development, meeting people, learning more about themselves outside of the family group. Then be VERY involved with education, offer them additional classes at home, and look into any other activities to stimulate and further their interests.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaicam12 View Post
Hello guys...Me and my family will be moving to the Big Island beginning of September. I currently have a 3rd, 6th, 7th and 11th grader. Here in Georgia my kids were offered to take a test to have them promoted to a higher grade than they are currently in because of their academic grades and gifted classes that they are in. On the island, is it possible to have them tested as well their to be promoted or whats the likely-hood of it happening? I also considered homeschooling for a year than have them tested before they go into the public schools. I would love to hear suggestions as I don't want to hold them back from possibly finishing school earlier if they can. Thanks.
What part of the Big Island are you planning to move to? In some parts of the Big Island, kids are considered "gifted" if they can speak standard English and read at grade level.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
I have been trying to get one of mine (now in 8th) promoted an extra grade up for over two years. He is in the gifted range, has perfect grades, social abilities and is already older than the rest of his Hawaiian classmates due to his birth date, which on the mainland caused him to wait an extra year to start school. In reality, he could jump two grades and be fine. When in 6th, they gave him both 7th and 8th grade algebra and while in seventh, he took freshman high school algebra. Other subjects have been modified for him as well.

Essentially, approval needs to eventually be given by someone in Honolulu. It is a nightmare of paperwork, etc. and the process seems to restart each year.

edit to add: He has had ZERO trouble with any local or local-wannabee kids either. This is due partly to his ability to show equal respect to other kids and partly because he is the tallest kid in the class. He also volunteered to read to preschool and kindergarten children while in 6th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii