Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 AM

7 posts, read 16,378 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'd like to check out the big island as well...maybe I'll do that when I'm out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 17,870 times
""EDIT: My biggest concern when I get over there, provided I do get the job and do make the move...is how all I'm going to manage work, surfing/diving/, and playing Modern Warfare 3 when it drops in Nov.""

I would think that once you get out there, you may not be too interested in MW3 for long...I cant say for sure, because I am still on the ML as well, but the allure of the outdoors, the beauty, the beaches probably outweighs the addiction of shooting people on a tv all day indoors- but what do I know? I was addicted to EQ2, so I understand I guess although that was in Detroit during the winter

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 32,587 times
cstoner, hi! I am also new to the site and also in WA state. I am outside Seattle though. I am also considering moving to Hawaii.

I have not been to the big island but I have been to Oahu and Maui. I love love love Maui and I am very partial but it's the only place I would want to move to.

There are absolutely plenty of restaurants. If you do get out there, check out areas around Lahaina and Kaanapali. Also check out Kihei and Wailea. If you're into restaurants those would be the places to aim for.

As for beaches, all of them are great but my favorite was the black sand beach in Hana. A heck of a trip to get there but well worth it.

I did really like Oahu a lot but Maui holds a very special place in my heart and I hope it always will.

Good luck with the decisions. Where would your room mates want to go? It's a good thing you will have people to go with as prices are staggering.

And as for your game you mentioned and finding time for it all, I can reiterate what lsdalicex9 said- I think the amazing things about Hawaii will quickly overshadow any game.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:00 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Everyone I know who lives on the Big Island complains about the rain. They come to Maui to escape the rain. I know there is a dry side, but that's not where you'd be living... There are also few sandy beaches. Black sand maybe.

Live on Maui, in Kihei or Lahaina. There are people who like the rain and the jungle, and there are people who like the beach. Obviously you like the beach...

Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 88,685 times
Well everyone I think I have come up with a great plan!! I have a friend that works on a cruise ship that goes to all of these islands and more....so I am interviewing for a position on that ship in November. This will allow me to experience all of the islands without investing any money. Not to mention - free room and board! So I am crossing my fingers

Thank you for all of your advice everyone!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 589,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
Well everyone I think I have come up with a great plan!! I have a friend that works on a cruise ship that goes to all of these islands and more....so I am interviewing for a position on that ship in November. This will allow me to experience all of the islands without investing any money. Not to mention - free room and board! So I am crossing my fingers

Thank you for all of your advice everyone!
Better check to make sure they will let crew off the ship in port.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 88,685 times
Yes, they let the crew off in port. I have a bunch of girlfriends on that ship and while the ship is in port, they are allowed to hang out as well. We all got pedicures in Kona while I was in town

I am pretty excited!!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 34,695 times
That sounds like an awesome plan! After you get the job, please let me know if they are hiring more. I am in!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Since you want to be a waiter, like dry parts, and like beaches and such... Live on Maui. I moved TO the desert because it's cheaper. I also happen to like the dryness too. I've never been to the Big Island but I do know it has few beaches, and the tourism industry isn't as developed as it is here.

Edit: Oh wait you're a woman. *waittress

Old 11-23-2011, 07:51 PM

181 posts, read 585,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_margarita View Post
I vote for Big Island.

Climate:
Temperatures and humidity tend to be a bit less extreme due to near-constant trade winds from the east. Summer temperature is 80s °F during the day and mid 70s at night. Winter day temperatures are usually in the low to mid 80s and 60s at night.
Crime: Average crime rate is less than U.S. average.
There are so many restaurants available there so I think this is best.
One cannot simply choose "The Big Island". The east side is so different than the west side that you could be on another planet.

The east side (Hilo) gets on average over 150 inches a rain a year (mostly at night so its not nearly as bad as one would think). Everywhere you look is GREEN.

The west side (Kona) gets on average less than 40 inches of rain a year. The landscape is DRY, except where it is irrigated.

Temperatures are very similar on both sides

Hilo, though larger, is sleepy compared to Kona. Kona has lots of restaurants, Hilo not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii