Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times

Advertisements

it doesn't take 45 minutes to get from makaha to kapolei which has a multiplex theater and many places to eat (mostly family style or casual with some fast food). some fine dining at ko olina. roy's is nice in kapolei--pacific rim food that's very very tasty. i totally recommend roy's! next stop to catch a movie would be at the pearl highlands shopping complex and then to pearl ridge shopping center. if there's traffic, it would take app. 30-45 from makaha.

Last edited by kani-lehua; 12-12-2007 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedxKiss View Post
My mom has always wanted to see Hawaii but has no idea how to research it to find a place she would like to go, so I am giving it a shot for her.

I can handle researching condos to find out about pools and such, but does anyone have any suggestions of cities or islands to look up? I don't know anything about Hawaii besides what I saw the time the Brady Bunch went there.
I think Kauai is the most unspoiled of the Hawaiian Islands, and that includes Molokai.

Princeville, Kauai is a beautiful spot. South Pacific was made there. Here is a webcam that you can control to see the view from Puu Poa point at Princeville:

http://www.seehawaiilive.com/pvh-cam.cfm (broken link)

It's a rainy day today. Check the weather report for zip 96722 and try when it's sunny.

There is a condo that overlooks this beach, called Hanalei Bay Resort, and there is also a hotel, the Princeville Resort.

Hank

Old 12-15-2007, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 80,124 times
Default Reality check...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
As a white 'haole' military member I lived in Makaha, and no, I was never warned to stay away from there, nor was anyone else... heck, a lot of white military members live in this town. I went all over the place in my uniform, too, over the years, it was no secret I was in the service. There's an Army base right on the ocean, there, in Waianae, with an awesome beach and cabins that servicemembers rent. In all of my adult life, I lived in Makaha longer than any other town. And I'm not talking about way back in the valley, either, I'm talking about down on Jade St. by Farrington Highway. I even worked part time at the Cornet. I love Makaha. And again, I can't emphasize this enough... military members are not specifically briefed to not go to that part of the island. That is not true. Heck, if all the military members and their families moved out of the Waianae Coast, the population would probably drop by 25%.

The previous poster was correct about the length of time it takes to get to Honolulu, however, but that's about all. There are plenty of movie theaters and nice restaurants a heck of a lot closer than 45 minutes away. And I suppose it might be true you'll be driving thru one of the most run down areas of the island, but that don't mean it's bad.

Here's my hint for getting along in Makaha. If you go there, yes, keep your eyes open and your wits about you, and you'll be fine.

Anyway, the person that said to stay in Makaha said to stay at the Sheraton, way back in the valley. It's like heaven back there, and if I could afford it, I'd definitely live there or visit there.

With all that being said, I can honestly say, without degrading, condemning or disrespecting Makaha, as the previous poster did, that there are plenty of other places to stay that might suit your mother better.
Thank you, Jondalar! I was going to reply that the Sheraton Makaha was a great choice until I saw that the post was rather dated. But, I need to say that I was raised in Makaha from the age of ten until I reached 20. Went to Waianae Elementary, Intermediate and High School.

I used to run at 10:00 at night without thinking twice about it. I will NEVER do that near Waikiki or anywhere else on the island for that matter. There is NOTHING wrong with Makaha and I see a lot more run down places just off of Kapiolani Blvd near Moiliili!

Give me a break! Military people get treated just like any other person would be. The only time they would be mistreated is when they behave like idiots... like anyone else would do every once in a while.

For the record, I used to love that drive (outside of rush hour) because it was peaceful and a time to think and some quiet, alone time. Of course cell phones didn't help that much.

The air is also drier out there so it's better for anyone with respiratory problems. I miss it. Town is okay because the commute to work is so much easier, but, living on the Leeward side is so much more like country living.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 80,124 times
Thumbs up Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
it doesn't take 45 minutes to get from makaha to kapolei which has a multiplex theater and many places to eat (mostly family style or casual with some fast food). some fine dining at ko olina. roy's is nice in kapolei--pacific rim food that's very very tasty. i totally recommend roy's! next stop to catch a movie would be at the pearl highlands shopping complex and then to pearl ridge shopping center. if there's traffic, it would take app. 30-45 from makaha.
That's all, just "Bingo!" From my mind to your fingers!

Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM

oops! i erroneously said that roy's was in kapolei. actually, it's at ko olina. don't want people to get lost out that way.

i actually love the leeward side of the island. it's so much better for me with my allergies. like honolulusprite said, it's drier. lots of good memories growing up in ewa beach and having a home in kapolei. kailua is beautiful but i'm going through my allergy medication like there's no tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 AM

90 posts, read 296,730 times
Are you talking about Hawaii the island or Hawaii the state?

If the state, I'd recommend staying somewhere in Kihei, Wailea or Lahaina on Maui.

If you're talking about the island, stay put.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:44 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlene View Post
Are you talking about Hawaii the island or Hawaii the state?

If the state, I'd recommend staying somewhere in Kihei, Wailea or Lahaina on Maui.

If you're talking about the island, stay put.
So, what is exactly wrong with the big island?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 AM

90 posts, read 296,730 times
I didn't say anything was wrong with it. It's just not an ideal vacation or living spot. It's too limited.
There are better options.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
Well, I can't speak to living spots (having not lived there... yet) but we had a FANTASTIC vacation on the BI! Walking over the lava fields to see actual flowing lava up close was probably one of the highlights of my life (and I've traveled extensively all over the world). There are so many wonderful and different kinds of places on the BI - I guess it wouldn't be a hot vacation spot for someone looking for a lot of 'mainland-type-nightlife', or stuff like that. But we loved the snorkeling (I was just bummed that I had to leave before making it to K-bay), hiking, gorgeous drives around Waimea, beaches, tidepools, funky little towns, etc.

Depends what you like. (We also liked Kauai enough that we're probably going to move there next summer. But it seems like, for a lot of folks, Kauai is too rural or something, hardly anyone seems to even mention it as an option for relocation. Or, it could be that there just aren't a lot of jobs there, which is true.)

Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
So, what is exactly wrong with the big island?

nothing at all! love, love, love the big island!!!! can't wait to move there! so much to see and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii