U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 92,041 times

Advertisements

My mom has always wanted to see Hawaii but has no idea how to research it to find a place she would like to go, so I am giving it a shot for her.

Here is the list of things she is looking for in a place to stay:

"non-tourist trap"
"sleepy town"
beach
oceanfront condo with pool

So, summarized, she wants someplace that isn't going to be a big town with a whole lot going on, where she'll be able to sit on the beach. We stay in a retirement community in FL every summer currently, and it's like her dream vacation.. haha. So that's the sort of speed she's looking for.

I can handle researching condos to find out about pools and such, but does anyone have any suggestions of cities or islands to look up? I don't know anything about Hawaii besides what I saw the time the Brady Bunch went there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,188,936 times
Lanai is one of our favorite islands, quiet, not a whole lot of tourism...Great beaches, beautiful snorkeling. You can get "lost" there. I amazed us to be able to sit on a beach and not see another living soul.. Hotel Lanai is awesome. Good luck with your research!

Old 08-17-2007, 04:47 PM

1,375 posts, read 5,964,335 times
When my family (in their 60s/70s) visit the Big Island, they get a vacation rental in Puako. Not sure about pools there, but they love that part of the island for its small community feel and easy access to the best beaches on the Kohala coast. Also an easy drive to Waimea and Hawi if you want to explore, shop or have dinner. (They prefer to avoid the tourist-y areas too, except for having lunch at a resort hotel every once in a while.) Explore Kohala Coast, Puako at ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) for possibilities.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,679 posts, read 6,924,032 times
If you want laid back, non touristy, actual piece of old Hawaii, Molokai is the place to be. I did a project there, and getting off the ferry, going into town, was like stepping back in time. Kind of like Kihei was when I moved here in 1975.

Aloha

Old 08-18-2007, 02:27 AM

13 posts, read 63,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedxKiss View Post
My mom has always wanted to see Hawaii but has no idea how to research it to find a place she would like to go, so I am giving it a shot for her.

Here is the list of things she is looking for in a place to stay:

"non-tourist trap"
"sleepy town"
beach

So, summarized, she wants someplace that isn't going to be a big town with a whole lot going on, where she'll be able to sit on the beach. We stay in a retirement community in FL every summer currently, and it's like her dream vacation.. haha. So that's the sort of speed she's looking for.

I can handle researching condos to find out about pools and such, but does anyone have any suggestions of cities or islands to look up? I don't know anything about Hawaii besides what I saw the time the Brady Bunch went there.
Makaha Sheraton Resort Condo. It's located in a very secluded valley. Makaha surfing beach is only a 1/4mi from there.

Goodluck!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,609,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedxKiss View Post
"non-tourist trap"
"sleepy town"
beach
Here's an oceanfront Condo on Kauai, in a "sleepy town". Kauai is not as "touristy" as Oahu, Mauai, or the Big Island, but they don't roll the sidewalks up at 5PM every night like Lanai or Molokai. Lanai has no town at all, and Molokai has a really tiny town. One restaurant, as I remember.

Kapaa Oceanfront Condo - Pono Kai Resort

I found this by a google search for oceanfront condo kapaa. (I have a friend who used to own a unit there, so it jumped out at me.) I would also look at

oceanfront condo poipu
oceanfront condo Hanalei

Hank

Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 AM

6,497 posts, read 14,257,875 times
We go to Maui every year and stay in Wailea on Maui. We rent a condo at Ekahi, grounds are beautiful, oceanfront pool, gorgeous beach a few steps from the pool.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM

29 posts, read 276,699 times
On the Big Island in Ka'u there is Sea Mountain Resort at Punalu'u. It's ocean front, has a pool, it's not a tourist area, it's located near the world famous Black Sand Beach where the sea turtles are. it's halfway to Hilo, halfway to Kona so you can explore and enjoy the entire island. I also recommend the Andrew Dougherty books on Hawaii. He has one for Oahu, Maui, Kuai'i,and the Big Island. I call them the island bibles. You can do a google search for "kau real estate" and find a handfull of local agents who can help you with a vacation rental there or call the office at Sea Mountain themselves the link is Big Island Resort Hawaii Apartment rental condo Beach Golf Resort Hawaii Kona Hilo On Golf Course Vacation rent golf ... though I think you can get a better deal by dealing with an agent.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 28,193 times
Default Whoever said Makaha should be ashamed

DO NOT GO TO MAKAHA. If your mother decides she want to try and catch a movie, or go to a nice restaurant, she will be at least 45 mins away from anything even closely resembling that and will have to drive through one of the most run down areas of the island. When military members come here, they a specifically briefed to NOT go to that part of the island in their uniform and especially if they are white (in civies). MAKAHA is a baaaaaaaad idea.

Good ideas:

Kauai- "Look boss! The plane, the plane!!" Yep Fantasy Island was filmed there so if you want a preview of how beautiful and fragrant (kind of known as the flower island) is then Kauai is your place. Its small, secluded, and caters to tourists without being touristy.

Big Island-My favorite. Huuuuge island. 13 different climates (moutains with snow to desert like areas to volcanoes you can visit and watch the lava flow into the ocean). There is even a black sand beach! I spent my time just driving around and was completely satisfied with my vaction. You can also see the other islands from some spots, awesome views.

Maui-The chill island I like to call it. Laid back, fun, and uncrowded like Oahu can be sometimes.

This should be a good start for you. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
Default Whoever said Makaha should be proud!

As a white 'haole' military member I lived in Makaha, and no, I was never warned to stay away from there, nor was anyone else... heck, a lot of white military members live in this town. I went all over the place in my uniform, too, over the years, it was no secret I was in the service. There's an Army base right on the ocean, there, in Waianae, with an awesome beach and cabins that servicemembers rent. In all of my adult life, I lived in Makaha longer than any other town. And I'm not talking about way back in the valley, either, I'm talking about down on Jade St. by Farrington Highway. I even worked part time at the Cornet. I love Makaha. And again, I can't emphasize this enough... military members are not specifically briefed to not go to that part of the island. That is not true. Heck, if all the military members and their families moved out of the Waianae Coast, the population would probably drop by 25%.

The previous poster was correct about the length of time it takes to get to Honolulu, however, but that's about all. There are plenty of movie theaters and nice restaurants a heck of a lot closer than 45 minutes away. And I suppose it might be true you'll be driving thru one of the most run down areas of the island, but that don't mean it's bad.

Here's my hint for getting along in Makaha. If you go there, yes, keep your eyes open and your wits about you, and you'll be fine.

Anyway, the person that said to stay in Makaha said to stay at the Sheraton, way back in the valley. It's like heaven back there, and if I could afford it, I'd definitely live there or visit there.

With all that being said, I can honestly say, without degrading, condemning or disrespecting Makaha, as the previous poster did, that there are plenty of other places to stay that might suit your mother better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii