Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I'm pretty sure he/she is asking how many people are stuck... want to leave but can't afford it
that's my interpretation too.

Personally, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's easier to get stuck in cheap places.

Seems like with expensive places, the savings from the cost of not paying rent is enough to get you to a cheaper place. Plus if someone were stuck in Hawaii, it implies they come from somewhere where they could go back to family or whatnot...which would help them get setup quickly again to where they were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
that's my interpretation too.

Personally, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's easier to get stuck in cheap places.

Seems like with expensive places, the savings from the cost of not paying rent is enough to get you to a cheaper place. Plus if someone were stuck in Hawaii, it implies they come from somewhere where they could go back to family or whatnot...which would help them get setup quickly again to where they were before.
yeah, I can see it both ways. At least if you live someplace where you can save a little money then you can prepare for a move and if you are in the continental U.S. somewhere you can probably just pack your car and go for pretty cheap.

If you can't save any money because you are just scraping by in Hawaii and it costs a lot to relocate then you can definitely get stuck there too. We sent everything USPS, sold all of our furniture, sold my moped, and it still cost us about $5k to for the move to the east coast (including plane tickets for my wife and I + our dogs). I was fortunate enough to get a relocation package from my employer when I left so it wasn't a huge deal but I would hate to have paid for it out of pocket.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,655 times
Hmm. By the time I was forty-five I had lived in sixty-four places. We haven't moved much in the past decade (I'm 55 now), mostly because of health issues, and I've reached the point where I feel that I have one more move left in me, and it'll either be to Hawai'i or we simply won't bother.

Moving our business from Canada to the States is becoming more of a hassle than we anticipated and the tax structure in the States is outrageous. Gift taxes, death taxes, and in general being taxed thrice on every dollar earned. Canada has no gift or death taxes and no one is taxed more than once on every dollar earned.

Couple that with all the red tape and 'Tylenol' immigration issues and we're thinking twice about bothering. We both love Hawai'i, we always have, and I'm sure that if we're spared we'll still visit, but we're not so sure (this week) that we want to move anywhere in the States. If Hawai'i were independent, we'd be there in a heartbeat!

FWIW,

Mahrie.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM

388 posts, read 1,127,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
By the time I was forty-five I had lived in sixty-four places.
Sometime when you are bored I would love to hear that story!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Hmm. By the time I was forty-five I had lived in sixty-four places.
Houses, right? As opposed to different cities/towns...

I think I'm pretty close. I lived in about 20 houses by the time I was 18. Since I've been an adult, it seems like I've moved around even a lot more. I'd have to count them, but I'm pretty sure I must be around at least 60-70 different moves.

I just moved from a place that I've spent the most time ever in my life - 2 1/2 years straight.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
You came, saw, conquered, survived, lasted, and advise others...would YOU STILL stay even now, IF you could (knowing ALL that you DO know) leave cheaply, lose nothing, sell your home and profit, or lease no problems, and pick the location anywhere ELSE that you have the "hots" for most?? Are YOU so adamant, passionate, enchanted, and fiercely loyal, that YOU feel that Hawaii is THE # 1 place to live and DIE !?? Be practical and emotional but with factual reasons that anyone may relate to and believe! I am enthralled with your certainty! Or, not.....?

I'd add this criterion: "Be able to support yourself wherever you decide to go". Because you may be able to leave Hawaii easily, but if you cannot make a living or be financially free in the new place, you won't leave.

My answer to your question, if my own criterion is met, YES. I'd love to spend one year in a different place for the rest of my life...till I can't move anymore. Travel light, get to know the place, the people, and move on after a year. To do that I'd have to be financially free or at least be able to make income not based on a particular geographical location. Of course it would make doing taxes a headache, but the adventure would be absolutely memorable. How many people can say they do that (apart from homeless people)?

A lot of people spend time in 1 place and occasionally if ever take a vacation in another place. Then there are people who spend time in only 2 places. It would be fun to spend time in a brand new place annually, forever. I'd hate to limit myself to Hawaii as the only place on earth worth sticking to.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:53 PM

49 posts, read 157,416 times
Even If the cost of living in Hawaii were cheaper, I would still move. That's just me and my lifestyle. Im more into multi-cultural and vibrant cities, and by that I mean variety, other than asian there's no other BIG variety. With all the respect to Asian people, all I see in the island is mainly asian, not a big italian,spanish,indian influence. so definetely Hawaii is not the ''multi-cultural'' city some people brag about. So even If everything was different it is not the city I'm looking for.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM

270 posts, read 506,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
Even If the cost of living in Hawaii were cheaper, I would still move. That's just me and my lifestyle. Im more into multi-cultural and vibrant cities, and by that I mean variety, other than asian there's no other BIG variety. With all the respect to Asian people, all I see in the island is mainly asian, not a big italian,spanish,indian influence. so definetely Hawaii is not the ''multi-cultural'' city some people brag about. So even If everything was different it is not the city I'm looking for.

After living in & around, the radius of Miami, Florida w/in 40 miles, for about 20 years until a few years ago, the city seemed to have the most varied number of ethnically cultured peoples. Of course, Hispanics including those from Central and ALL of S. America, Cuba, Asians from everywhere, Eastern Europe, Samoans, Guam, PI, UK, Germanic, Ukraine, Turkey, Barbados, Dominica, Trinidad, and a long list more. These were groups, not just individuals. In addition, tourists from all over the globe, all the time. Getting out frequently and meeting many and seeing so much is important too. Those that stayed in one spot only felt a limited variety, but with blinders would miss those above in all scenarios. Even the free open air concerts at South Point Park early 90s near Government Cut on Friday nights, had an international feel with lounge chairs in the grass and easy going fun listening to various music types.
Currently, not sure how the South Beach area and McArthur Causeway/ Star Island/ Palm Island areas towards Miami per se, are doing. Bayfront Park right there, was always really nice too. A really nice, wide, easy going beach is at Hollywood, some miles northward, complete with a wide paved walking shopfront "boardwalk/broadwalk" for a long distance and near the historic Hollywood Resort Hotel. Lots of people in/ around South Florida !

Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM

49 posts, read 157,416 times
Jeepers, I couldn't agree more with you. I have lived in Florida and I almost forgot how much I liked it! I lived there in 2007! and had no problems making friends, landing on a job and meeting people from all over the globe. my feet never gets settle in one place and afterwards I moved to Colorado then Texas and now I landed to Hawaii, Im leaving the island in 2 months after giving it a try of 6 months, tried it,experience it, done it,now I'm ready to go, unfortunately it was not what I expected, but hey thats life, you have to do it otherwise you'll never know. this has been a life lesson and I have grow as a person and I have now I clear mentality to the type of place suits better for me.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
Jeepers, I couldn't agree more with you. I have lived in Florida and I almost forgot how much I liked it! I lived there in 2007! and had no problems making friends, landing on a job and meeting people from all over the globe. my feet never gets settle in one place and afterwards I moved to Colorado then Texas and now I landed to Hawaii, Im leaving the island in 2 months after giving it a try of 6 months, tried it,experience it, done it,now I'm ready to go, unfortunately it was not what I expected, but hey thats life, you have to do it otherwise you'll never know. this has been a life lesson and I have grow as a person and I have now I clear mentality to the type of place suits better for me.
I like your thinking, as it's similar to mine.

Plus, once you've experienced it, you can cross it off the list.

San Francisco is one city I tried, and didn't like. Not enough 'asian culture', which was why I had decided to give that city a shot. It seems to me that Honolulu might be the only city that oozing Asian culture all over the place.

But, yeah, each city has it's own characteristics, and each person either connects or doesn't connect with it, depending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: