Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:45 PM

270 posts, read 506,717 times

Advertisements

You came, saw, conquered, survived, lasted, and advise others...would YOU STILL stay even now, IF you could (knowing ALL that you DO know) leave cheaply, lose nothing, sell your home and profit, or lease no problems, and pick the location anywhere ELSE that you have the "hots" for most?? Are YOU so adamant, passionate, enchanted, and fiercely loyal, that YOU feel that Hawaii is THE # 1 place to live and DIE !?? Be practical and emotional but with factual reasons that anyone may relate to and believe! I am enthralled with your certainty! Or, not.....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,907,274 times
This is a great topic for a thread, Jeepers
Since I don't have a large financial investment in Hawaii, and live as I do so inexpensively, including military advantages, I won't contribute much comment ... I don't fit the profile you describe ... but I find the topic very intriguing ... +1

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,679,302 times
We love Hawaii, but found between two and three months a year is enough. It has nothing to do with expenses, but rather we miss family, friends and even the change in seasons. We miss traveling to various states on the mainland in our RV and seeing all the mainland has to offer. It is beautiful and the people are lovely, but home will always be on the mainland.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM

229 posts, read 929,778 times
My soul is here. My roots are in the ground. I would love to go to the mainland once a year to see family, but it doesn't always happen. I still belong here.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,005 times
For me, Hawai'i Nei is the "mainland." The continental United States is just a place that I visit from time to time.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,761,648 times
I would definitely still be living there if I could afford it and had enough $$$ as a hedge against the coming energy crisis.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,741 times
If I could have a job as great as I have now, and if I could go to sleep for a few months while someone else sold my condo, packed it up into a container, and moved everything for me, I *might* want to move to the Pacific NW... mostly to be closer to my sister. But I strongly suspect that round about the 20th consecutive cold & rainy day I'd be kicking myself for that choice.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times
I don't really understand "leave cheaply," but we have no desire to go. How do you put a price on quality of life, friendship and a sense of place? We haven't pursued the lowest-common-denominator in any of our career or location decisions, and we're not likely to start now. Every place has its positives and negatives, but we're happy to stay here until we're not happy with it anymore -- for whatever reason(s). There's more to life than return on investment. We just love seeing the sunrise and sunsets every day.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I don't really understand "leave cheaply,"
I'm pretty sure he/she is asking how many people are stuck... want to leave but can't afford it, don't have the skills to find a new job in this economy, or have obligations that make it tough for them to pack up and go. Unfortunately, a lot of those folks aren't gonna be on the internet because they are sleeping underneath a tarp by old stadium park. But you never know, there may be a few on here.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 AM

64 posts, read 148,555 times
I'd leave...lol

I love this place, my family is here, my friends are here, and I've been here for over half my life. But if I was given an opportunity somewhere else, I'd prolly take it.

But then again the grass is always greener, right? I haven't lived on the mainland since I was 14 y/o. So do I know what it's really like? No way. So in all honesty I'm not one to be able to give a realistic answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: