Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM

29 posts, read 286,966 times

Advertisements

Aloha

I thought it would be nice to talk about where we live in Hawaii and what we like about where we live. Please note the word like ... I want to know what you like or love about where you live. Please, lets keep it positive.

I'll start ...

My husband and I have 2 children and we live in the Ka'u district of Hawai'i. That is on The Big Island in the most Southern District of the USA. I love it here. We have breezes called trade winds almost every day. The weather is so perfect we build our houses without heat and airconditioning. My windows and doors are always open and it seems there is something in the air that just makes the skin feel so soft. We are building our family home in Mark Twain Estates. It is very lush and green. We have excellent views of both the ocean and the Waiohinu hills and on a clear day we can see the plume from the volcano steaming into the sky. I have seen some of the most incredible sunrises. The sky in the morning is just so colorful. Crayola hasn't yet caught up with Mother Nature. Off in the South Point direction you can see the sunset. Ka'u is the only place I know where you can get a sunrise and sunset sitting in the same exact spot. The moon rises are just as amazing. The stars at night, I swear one night I am going to touch one. They seem so much closer than anywhere else I have ever been. I think perhaps the Earth's soul lies here. I feel so lucky to be able to raise my babies in such a wonderful place filled with amazing people from all over the world. We have met some really great people and I know that collectively and individually they each made us better people for having met them. I feel so lucky, so blessed. Like they say ... lucky you live Hawai'i. I really am.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM

41 posts, read 195,021 times
I live on Oahu. In Foster Village By the Aloha stadium, inner city to be sure, but, I live on a cliff of the Halawa Valley and the stream runs about 100 ft below me.

I hear traffic, I see planes. Usual city stuff, but even with that, it is an enchanting place full of breezes, stars, green, misty rain, and you can feel the mana of the Aina and those that went before.

I am a lifelong guitar player and have never played better or with more inspiration than sitting on my lanai coaxing out some bad slack key, looking at the sky full of stars or the morning mist with rainbows. Never mind the garbage trucks!!!! ;-)

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick in Hawaii View Post
I live on Oahu. In Foster Village By the Aloha stadium, inner city to be sure, but, I live on a cliff of the Halawa Valley and the stream runs about 100 ft below me.

I hear traffic, I see planes. Usual city stuff, but even with that, it is an enchanting place full of breezes, stars, green, misty rain, and you can feel the mana of the Aina and those that went before.

I am a lifelong guitar player and have never played better or with more inspiration than sitting on my lanai coaxing out some bad slack key, looking at the sky full of stars or the morning mist with rainbows. Never mind the garbage trucks!!!! ;-)

Great post. I lived in Salt Lake for a while...

What you capture here is the essence of Hawaii for me. (I would have loved having you as my neighbor if you make a habit of playing guitar on your lanai!) Even in the middle of the "daily" there is always a touch of that "mana" your refer to making its way through. I've often said that something about Hawaii reaches deep into the soul--if you are open to it.

I live in Hilo and today was one of those crystal clear, crisp days with just a few clouds in the sky and the mountain standing out so vividly on the horizon. There are days like this that make me completely understand the surfer's delimma. I just wanted to drop all responsibilities and head down to the ocean and let the day pass by.

Why Hilo for me? My SO and I both moved to Hilo for jobs. Though both of us have moved on to other work situations, one of the major conveniences that I just can't quite be persuaded to let go of is the easy access to town. My SO's business depends on it to a certain extent right now, and although we have considered a move to HOVE or Leilani Estates for more acerage and less traffic, neither of us are quite ready to give up a five minute drive to shopping, dining, and, for me, my office. We are both former city-dwellers and are not quite ready to make the transition to moving away from town. Now...a weekend cottage in Wood Valley....that would be ideal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii