Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times

Advertisements

I've been to Kaho'olawe, back in the mid-seventies, with a Hawaiian buddy of mine, opihi picking in Kamohio Bay, then we motored around the west end, went back on shore at Pedro Bay, and shot a couple of goats. Quite the experience. Quite a few local guys were going over there back in the seventies, before all the protect Kaho'olawe protests and occupations started, and those guys, the ones who had a little side money coming in from selling fresh, (and quite large), opihi were not too happy with all the attention that Mitchell and Helm were drawing to the Island.
If Kaho'olawe were located on the other side of our 10 foot tall mountain, it would be a completely different Island.
AND, I can't recommend Kaho'olawe goat. We marinated it in shoyu, garlic, and bourbon. The bourbon was essential, and a lot of it didn't end up on the goat.

Okolemaluna

Last edited by Jungjohann; 10-25-2017 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 PM

518 posts, read 764,993 times
Just found a paragraph on the KIRC website:

Quote:
This has been a major transitional period for the KIRC due to funding and resources. Therefore, the necessary scaling back of on-island operations and activities has come into effect. Previously we were able to support weekly volunteer trips; today, we have scaled back to smaller and less frequent trips per month.
With the KIRC’s limited capabilities, our priority at this time is to focus on grant funded obligations and to support partnerships that align with our vision for Kahoʻolawe. We greatly appreciate the strong desire folks have to contribute to the healing of the island, but we simple can’t accommodate the many requests we receive.
So translated: extremely unlikely for any lay public person to go anytime soon.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post

One quick question, from where does the Niihau Helicopter depart from? I assume they have a helipad access from Honolulu?
They operate out of Kaumakani, Kauai. It was a great experience for sure! You have to make reservations and even then it's not guaranteed that you will get to go. If they need the helicopter for anything else, the trip gets canceled. They also tell you that if while out on Niʻihau the helicopter needs to be used for an emergency, then you have to just wait on the island until they can come back to get you.

If you get a chance to go to Niʻihau, I would highly recommend it.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:19 PM

518 posts, read 764,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It's not the same as being there but you can Google "Street View" Kahoolawe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ka...4d-156.6057378
Nice. Now that's pretty cool. Probably as close as I'll ever get to experience this island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've been to Kaho'olawe, back in the mid-seventies, with a Hawaiian buddy of mine, opihi picking in Kamohio Bay, then we motored around the west end, went back on shore at Pedro Bay, and shot a couple of goats. Quite the experience. Quite a few local guys were going over there back in the seventies, before all the protect Kaho'olawe protests and occupations started, and those guys, the ones who had a little side money coming in from selling fresh, (and quite large), opihi were not too happy with all the attention that Mitchell and Helm were drawing to the Island.
If Kaho'olawe were located on the other side of our 10 foot tall mountain, it would be a completely different Island.
AND, I can't recommend Kaho'olawe goat. We marinated it in shoyu, garlic, and bourbon. The bourbon was essential, and a lot of it didn't end up on the goat.

Okolemaluna
Very interesting. Thanks for the insight and information. Seems like the goat meat probably wasn't the best eh....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
They operate out of Kaumakani, Kauai. It was a great experience for sure! You have to make reservations and even then it's not guaranteed that you will get to go. If they need the helicopter for anything else, the trip gets canceled. They also tell you that if while out on Niʻihau the helicopter needs to be used for an emergency, then you have to just wait on the island until they can come back to get you.

If you get a chance to go to Niʻihau, I would highly recommend it.
Thanks for the tip. Actually it'd be great if we get delayed leaving Niihau...just means more time on the island, hah! Yeah I just emailed and got a response back and I'll need to pick a few dates to go. ANd definitely agreed on their need to use the helicopter for local needs first.

I'll have to see when would be the best. The price is obviously a bit steeper than many other excursion type activities but it looks like it's worth it and a once in a life time, bucket list activitiy.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
"Seems like the goat meat probably wasn't the best eh....lol"

Goat and sheep meat are very similar. Most hunters smoke the goat. Generally, un-smoked goat needs to be eaten before the animal turns 1 and will taste pretty much like lamb. Older goat is gamey and tough unless smoked. I've never had older goat that wasn't smoked, but based on the reviews, I don't want to try it. Same thing with mutton.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
I'll stick with prime rib eye Costco. 6-7 minutes a side on the grill.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
Where's your sense of adventure?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Where's your sense of adventure?
Dealing with the craziness of Costco is plenty of adventure

Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,578,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Dealing with the craziness of Costco is plenty of adventure
I always wear a hardhat, and some kevlar in my boardshorts when I'm in there.

Last time I was in there, most of the folks in the warehouse/coliseum seemed to be either from way out in the sticks, or, tourists fighting jetlag and buying a years supply of toilet paper. And most of them had that COSTYA gaze, the kind of trance like state in which they're projecting, 'That's mine, that's mine, that's mine, get the hell out of my way, that's mine, that's mine,,'

Maybe it was a full moon.. And, if it was a full moon, you know they probably have a sh#tload of them at COSTYA.

Aisle 6, right next to the toilet paper

Behind the,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, Guiness The Great Wall Of Guiness

Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
they're nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii