Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

I haven't met many people who've been to these two lessser-known islands. Anyone been, and what was your experience and impression of them?

I'd also welcome heresay, or any other various thing you've heard or read, just to generate a discussion about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I haven't met many people who've been to these two lessser-known islands. Anyone been, and what was your experience and impression of them?

I'd also welcome heresay, or any other various thing you've heard or read, just to generate a discussion about them.
Lanai is an easily accessible from Maui, been there many times with Resorts (2 Four Seasons hotels) and golf for day trips - Molokai, remote, no hotels - never been.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
We have yet to go to Lana'i and Moloka'i but will be going next October. So, I am looking forward to reading this thread. However, we did get to go to the even lesser known island of Ni'ihau just over a month ago and that was awesome!

Has anyone here got to volunteer to go to Kaho'olawe and help with the clean up? If so, what was it like there?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Lana'i and Molokai both have ferry service from Maui. We go to Lana'i once or twice a year, and to Molokai every time we get a chance. (Less often since the Ranch closed down, but we have a friend whose family owns a house near Waialua.) There is still a hotel on Moloka'i, BTW. Aqua operates Hotel Molokai, about five miles from the port town of Kaunakakai. There are also vacation rentals at Kuluakoi and Wavecrest (condos), and a few houses here and there. Very few restaurant options -- it's not a resort destination, just a great place to get away.

Lana'i has the two Four Seasons plus another small hotel in Lana'i City. It's a great day trip from Maui, but also a fun place to spend several days.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
went to Lanai to dive (the Cathedrals) so I saw the island upclose but didn't actually go onto the island..it was an hour boatride from Maui but the crossing was really rough.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
We have yet to go to Lana'i and Moloka'i but will be going next October. So, I am looking forward to reading this thread. However, we did get to go to the even lesser known island of Ni'ihau just over a month ago and that was awesome!

Has anyone here got to volunteer to go to Kaho'olawe and help with the clean up? If so, what was it like there?
I am likely the only one on this forum who knows Kaho'olawe first hand ... no, I didn't go help with clean up ... I was part of the culture that trashed it back in the day ... yes, really ... pounded the place with ordinance.

What's it like? Uh, well, barren, actually ... no more than a bit of scrub here and there.

Moloka'i? Yes ... I pretty much love the place ... but not completely: hard to get decent groceries there, let alone restaurant food (there really isn't any now the Ranch is gone). You can get an okay meal at the Hotel Moloka'i ... bands used to play live music to a crowd of a half-dozen or so a couple nights too ... it's fun -- for Moloka'i ... heh ... Right, there is nothing to do there, so if that's what you like, with no good food, knock yourselves out. BTW, it is called the "Friendly Isle", but I couldn't tell you why. I am not calling the locals mean, but they don't want you there, even to visit ... although they can be pleasant, particularly if you are spending a few bucks at the coupla stores in Kaunakaki, or at the coffee plantation tour, or mule ride, the island character is not exactly outgoing 'aloha' to tourism.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We used to sail to Lanai every summer before they built the hotels there and haven't been there after they built them so I'm sure it's changed significantly. It was very small and very friendly before the hotels were built. Lotsa pineapple and folks who would put okolehau in pineapple and then throw parties. Whew! Big shindings down to White Manele beach. Music, bonfires, imu, those pineapples, lasted several days, usually. Can't do that anymore, though, what with the hotels there.

We'd sail to the old barge harbor on Molokai and it was pretty much deserted. Nice beach, deserted, though. Old boy scout camp which still had the solar hot water working. Big kiawe thorns, though, on the path which flattened our bicycle tires almost instantly. Went up to the small town of Maunakea to forage for food, but it was very small. Had a kite shop, though, which I thought was strange. Nice, but strange. Also have been to Kauanakakai for some work but that was a day trip to do a drafting job at the Molokai hospital. As mentioned, food options are very limited and depending on the time of day, almost non-existent. Very small town. But, this was years ago, perhaps it has changed, but from the sounds of it, not really.

All the folks I know from Molokai like the island, but none of them have stories of affluence in Molokai to go along with their Molokai stories.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,193 times
McFrostyJ: how did you visit Ni'ihau? Did you do the helicopter tour, and if so, where did you land?

The only other outsiders who get to go are Dept. of Education for the school, and military occasionaly.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM

229 posts, read 929,290 times
This recent photo gives you an idea of what Molokai is like now.
Attached Thumbnails
The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi-go-home.jpeg  

Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
This recent photo gives you an idea of what Molokai is like now.
And there I was, trying to be so 'diplomatic' in the way I treated the issue of "The Friendly Isle" being - uh, well - not so exactly open and friendly ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii