Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times

Advertisements

That's an interesting little plane. A bit long to actually fit inside most garages, but a special carport could be built. It would be similar (dimension wise) to driving a beer truck on the road but at least it would get much better gas mileage than a beer truck. It seems to have similar characteristics (fuel capacity, payload) of a Cessna. Wonder if it could be landed on a vacant stretch of road and then the wings folded up and driven away? There are a few sections of two lane one direction roadway which might almost be wide enough for the wings. Have to worry about overhead wires, though. If it has a license to be driven on the road, can it land on the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM

270 posts, read 507,136 times
Agents Uncover 'Most Sophisticated' Drug Tunnel in Years - Yahoo! News

Perhaps have the drug smugglers build the border fence, since they are doing so well UNDER ground; and, have them build tunnels between all the islands while they are at it.

Or, have the Chinese do it , since they produce much of what is bought cheaply these days.......they appear to have the ability for thousands of miles of tunnels too....

http://news.yahoo.com/digging-china-...013008319.html

Last edited by Jeepers Creepers; 11-30-2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,037,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
Well, there used to be the hydrofoil which could transport passengers easily. I know it existed because I took it several times between Oahu and Kauai and really enjoyed the ride. It was fairly small, very comfortable and equally affordable. I remember reading it broke down frequently but it seems with advanced technology available, some of those former issues could be resolved. Just looked for a picture and came up with this: An Interisland Hydrofoil Boat Fleet For Hawaii
Yes, in the 70s they're used to be Seaflight. It was awesome an only cost $35 to go inter island.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Yes, in the 70s they're used to be Seaflight. It was awesome an only cost $35 to go inter island.
$35 isn't exactly cheap in the 1970's - I tried some online calculators, $35 in 1975 is $155 in today's dollars.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
A Cessna 150 is only like 15k
Hey, if you can deliver them at Hilo Airport at that price, I'll probably order a dozen from you... which I will then make a fortune on. I'd say two dozen, but I doubt the local market is that large.

You do not list your current location, but I suspect it is not anywhere in the vicinity of the islands.

Hotzcatz, as usual, has a pretty good grasp of the real situation.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
Gee, OpenD, I'm *blushing* again!

They are trying to help and getting more folks thinking about things adds to the things to think about, but when folks are far away there are a lot of things which aren't in their database. Sometimes we get folks from the mainland who show up and look around at what is here to work with and say "why don't we do this" and proceed to get something viable and different going on. More frequently, unfortunately, we get mainland folks who just want to have what was available on the mainland without thinking about the support and infrastructure necessary for what ever was available there.

It would be really nice to be able to visit friends on Oahu and pop over there to shop or see a museum or such, however, due to the time and money required it isn't feasible for anything except really important stuff. Other than just physically getting to the other islands, once there we have the same problems of all tourists - how to get around and where to stay. Although if getting there were quick enough and cheap enough, we could go in the morning and then come back in the evenings.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,238,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hey, if you can deliver them at Hilo Airport at that price, I'll probably order a dozen from you... which I will then make a fortune on. I'd say two dozen, but I doubt the local market is that large.

You do not list your current location, but I suspect it is not anywhere in the vicinity of the islands.

Hotzcatz, as usual, has a pretty good grasp of the real situation.
If I had to do the leg work I would not sell them that cheap, but if your willing to do the work you can get them cheap. You would have to travel to where they are cheap, fly them to seatle, take the wings off, crate it up and ship it. You would be into it for the cost of the plane (15-20k), fuel and shipping which I have heard is not too shabby, around 1000$ or so. Living in Alaska looking into buying a pitts I have looked at all the angles but for here I can just fly it up without taking wings off still quite a bit of gas money but not as much as paying someone to do all that and the experience of flying a bi plane cross country is once in a life time.

Also you have to have some balls to fly a cessna over the sierra nevadas, just follow roads and you will be ok as long as its not the road to area 51 lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii