Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM

270 posts, read 506,553 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever asked this company why they cannot consider adding a trail basis 10 passenger box on any spot of the ship for those having a dire need to reach another island? Charge whatever is required and "no frills" seat only spot and make passengers sign a statement that No dogs, or spoiled life attitudes tolerated !! (TRIP ONLY and shut up! )

+ Young Brothers, Limited +
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Lack of bathroom facilities, insurance, interference with the crew, lack of facilities for accidents or injuries, there is probably some law somewhere which has a list of "minimum" requirements for such things - not that I've looked for it. Also, what they have is working now, so why should they?

At the moment, the airlines can shift a person from one island to the next for $75, can the boat do it for less money? Is it in any way worthwhile for the barge to shift passengers for less money than this? A person is going to require more room than a 6' x 6' x 8' cube which will make more money being shifted from one island to the next. And the cube doesn't cause trouble.

What I'd like to see is the return of the Lurline type passenger ships. Ocean liners which were like the airplanes, you could book a one way passage on them. The cruise ships we have now don't shift people from one place to another, they take them all back to the starting point. I'm not sure if there is a name difference between a big boat which carries passengers from one point to another versus one which takes them out and brings them back?

Would the people stay overnight in their ten passenger box? It would need sleeping facilities since inter-island by boat takes a long time. It is also open ocean as soon as you leave port, so there would be a lot of seasick passengers, too.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 423,982 times
we used to have the superferry, but all those protestors stopped it and look now we are paying for it $200 dollars just to fly to oahu now. If lingle did her job and ignored the protestors message we would have had cheaper airfares plus a superferry where we could load our cars on it and ride to another island but now we dont have one cause these protestors.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,833 times
Well, there used to be the hydrofoil which could transport passengers easily. I know it existed because I took it several times between Oahu and Kauai and really enjoyed the ride. It was fairly small, very comfortable and equally affordable. I remember reading it broke down frequently but it seems with advanced technology available, some of those former issues could be resolved. Just looked for a picture and came up with this: An Interisland Hydrofoil Boat Fleet For Hawaii

Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I agree with Hotzcatz that beating interisland airfaire of $75 each way is going to be very difficult for any ferry service to beat.

Those Young Brothers ships are essentially large barges - even if Young Brothers said sure - we'll stuff 10 people in a container for what would be an overnight trip you have this thing called the US Coast Guard who would never approve something like that.

A ferry system is dead in Hawaii. Any ferry needs to be high speed and the protesters would go after any high speed ferry claiming it detrimental to the whales in the winter. A low speed ferry wouldn't have the demand or price point to make it effective.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM

206 posts, read 466,585 times
What we need is a sustainable-speed passenger ferry that can take us between the islands, and run as a public service so that making destructive shortcuts and stupid decisions in favor of a profit isn't the outcome. Such a scheme would work, what we need is a movement to make it happen and make sure it's done correctly, unlike the disgusting travesty that was the stupor-ferry.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
We need hovercraft ferries to keep the whales safe. But then we'd be killing birds I guess

Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM

270 posts, read 506,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
We need hovercraft ferries to keep the whales safe. But then we'd be killing birds I guess

Ok, I understand now. Thank you. I am perplexed with our society since other nations do things while we seem unable to overcome basic transport. In 1971, I took a hydrofoil from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Malmo, Sweden with at least 50 others. Simple and fast. I took in 1972 an actual TRAIN (cars decoupled), ferry, before the "Chunnel" (channel tunnel) between Pas-de-Calasi to Dover England across the English Channel. The ferry was overnight, sleeping in a berth in the train car, arrival next AM in Victoria Station. The current tunnel used today, was begun in 1988 and finished/opened 1994 ! Lowest underwater point in that tunnel is about 250 feet under the seas.
My point is that all these examples are what CAN be done! Over 35 YEARS ago, I used a daily efficient bus system in Berlin to reach the U -Bahn (subway) system that was a "wonder" of precision ! I literally got off a bus, walked down a stairway to a momentarily waiting subway, and OFF!! The fare was 1.90 Deutsche marks (then about 90 cents) for 90 minutes authorized travel with ANY combination of subway/bus going ONE general direction. The timetables were superb, and always ON TIME !! Each morning, living on the "economy" as a military member, you could travel free while IN uniform. All were clean and although full, people lined up in an orderly manner to board. When time came to depart, the doors closed and the bus left ! If you had not been there to board on time, too bad. BUT, the next bus during heavy travel periods were scheduled very frequently and a bus would be along in usually 5-7 minutes! Even in snow storms, buses were NEVER late!! "Pull over" spaces were on EVERY street OFF the lanes and not blocking traffic behind buses for boarding. Those "pull over" places were long enough for two buses, and signs posted stated that ANY parking by any vehicle was illegal and you would be towed or REMOVED. The removal was as follows: Each bus had a heavy front bumper. I twice saw firsthand an idiot that had parked! The bus pulled into the space and simply shoved that car OUT onto the sidewalk/curb with total disdain! Any damages were the total fault/responsibility of car owners !! I was in shock and simultaneously overjoyed! THAT action proved why buses were in part, always ON TIME. Next, when departing said "pull over" spaces, the buses put "on" the left blinkers that were VERY clear/obvious, and began to "pull OUT". They did NOT stop for ANYTHING!! IF you hit the bus, you would be fined very heavily, and, forced to pay ALL damages! Wonderful! Buses had the "right of way"!
There was NO tolerance for people not exhibiting personal responsibilities! NONE. On autobahns, same thing. Left lanes were passing only. IF you got there and did not make soon an attempt to move back, after passing, into the right lanes, very quickly a BMW-Porsche-Mercedes etc would be UP your tailpipe and blinking/flashing lights and shaking a fist at you. In addition, the Polizei (police) would give you a ticket. Over 40 years ago, Germany had CAMERAS that took license plate photos and a composite of the drivers/front seat passengers! Tickets were mailed to your home and you had to pay within a few weeks or refuse and go to court. If you lost at court, the fine was TRIPLED. Hard to argue with a photo -date-time-face and radar speed-illegal action in a total picture! Sometimes, divorces happened if the driver had his girlfriend in the front seat and NOT the wife. LOL.

Our country is great but we are sooo far behind doing basic things that would make life less stressful for " everyone", and reprimand those that always seem to feel "I am SPECIAL" and won't ! We stick a post into the ground and call it a bus stop right beside a ditch, no shelter or times. Then are surprised that FEW want to travel using public systems. Much is designed to FAIL. We "talk" about saving energy and having good public transportation yet do minimal. We need to KICK some rears and MAKE things happen! That includes a decent, viable ferry for you to travel between islands! Anything LESS is nonsense, an excuse, and total INCOMPETENCE!! People make things happen. Will YOU?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Nope Jeeps, we aren't going to make things happen. That's totally just not the way things work around here. There is a large social stigma against causing a fuss, not to mention we'd need someone to pay for it as well. And just because they do it on the mainland (we don't care which mainland) doesn't mean we are gonna do it here. That's about the least likely argument you can find to motivate folks around here.

I'm guessing there was a much higher population density for the folks building tunnels under rivers and oceans than we have here.

TheBus on Oahu is actually a pretty good bus system and has a lot of riders on it. Oahu is also working on light rail for public transport. They raised taxes to do it, I think. The rest of the islands don't have the population density to make more than a rudimentary bus system work.

Before pushing for inter-island travel, I'd rather see the trains which used to run between Pahoa and Pauuilo on the Island of Hawaii be restored. Those got eaten during the big tsunami on April 1st, 1946. Although some alternate forms of inter-island travel would be nice, but I don't see it happening. There is a huge economic hill to get over as well as dealing with the ocean itself.

A ferry between Maui, Lanai & Molokai is currently in use. That ferry operates in some fairly calm waters which are sort of protected from open ocean because of the way the islands are situated. To get between Oahu and Lanai/Molokai isn't too bad as far as distance but you're getting into some heavier seas. Between Oahu and Kauai is open ocean and a deep channel. Also not as much population so less reasons for folks to go between those two particular islands. The channel between Maui and the island of Hawaii is the Alenuihaha channel which is ferocious.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
I have an idea.... REALLY long Zip Lines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii