Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 24,763 times

Advertisements

I am possibly making a transfer to Hawaii from NH where I am in a management position with a major retail chain. I am concerned, as lots of families may be, with the cost of housing, school system and the best area to live.....and since there is a choice of islands available, which one to choose? My husband is a construction foreman and we haven't found any info on jobs in Hawaii in that profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If you can get a position on any island other than Oahu, you may be able to be a one income household if you are careful with spending. Construction is about flat lined and hiring a mainland foreman probably isn't likely these days.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by styxx7 View Post
I am possibly making a transfer to Hawaii from NH where I am in a management position with a major retail chain. I am concerned, as lots of families may be, with the cost of housing, school system and the best area to live.....and since there is a choice of islands available, which one to choose? My husband is a construction foreman and we haven't found any info on jobs in Hawaii in that profession.
With those kind of concerns why move?

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
You need to be a bit more specif as to your position. A management position with a major retail chain can be just about anything. Better than the title, the pay is the make or break it factor. A manager for a major chain could be paid $35,000 a year or $175,000 a year,

Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 AM

We are really just done with the cold weather. I realize we can move to a stateside warm state, but my job opportunity isn't available. Hawaii sounds wonderful and I have been truly reearching the cost of living and everythign else associated with such a move from the mainland. It sounds like a huge jump of faith to make it work so I appreicate all information.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM

82 posts, read 205,457 times
In all sincerity your casting a large net with your question. As Pacificights said its all about the $$$. Many or all the answers you seek can be found in previous posts. Your asking about different islands so we should presume your company has outlets and a position open for you on each island? If neither of you have visited here before I would say forget it. Or why not you take the transfer, get settled here, then bring the rest of the family 3-6 months later after experiencing life here.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
pay here sucks as does the public school system. everything else, food housing, gas, utilities are pretty expensive. get your offer in writing. look at the newspaper, craig's list and anywhere else you can think of to see what kind of employment your hubby can get. most people work outside their field and in a lot of cases two jobs. good luck

Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Most of the responses to similar questions on this forum have been negative, and people who don't live here accuse us who do of being too negative and wanting to keep other people out. The truth is that moving here right now DOES have a lot of negative implications. The economy in Hawaii is even worse than the mainland. Tourism is down; people who used to have second homes can't afford them any longer; people who used to retire here are not able to retire; etc., etc.

The island with the cheapest housing is the Big Island, but then there are way fewer jobs than on Oahu. And most of the public schools are pretty bad on the Big Island and things are a lot more expensive. There are a whole lot of out-of-work contractors right now and your husband being new would have a difficult time finding work.

There are a lot of threads on this forum discussing schools, job opportunities, etc. on all of the islands. If you look through those you may be able to get a clearer picture of which island would be better for you, if you still decide to come.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Thank you all for your insight. It's much appreciated! So much to consider.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:11 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
There are the beginnings of cautious optimistic outlooks beginning to be seen around here. I don't know if it is just the new year with new hopeful beginnings or what but perhaps things will begin to ease a bit. On the news this morning the economic guy was mentioning that even though construction was flat lined, there seemed to be a demand for project managers. That might be a step above a foreman, though, but at least it's hopeful.

Umm, also, the term "stateside" is rather offensive to folks who like to think they live in a state, too. We like to use the term "mainland" for the rest of you states in a clump over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii