Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 72,637 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move permanently to Maui, HI late May to get out of the Arizona heat.
We have everything sorted and and close of the house tomorrow, however with ATA going out of business a couple of weeks ago, I have no longer a way to bring my 2 cats, (who have all their rabies test, vaccines and chips ready done can come April 26th) over in the Cabin. I believe ATA were the only airline allowing Pets in the Cabin flying INTO Hawaii.

Anyone know if the other airlines are changing policy to help us pet owners out? Is there any service which could help here? I contacted a number of Air Charter Brokers and have them checking for empty legs into Honolulu or Maui from AZ or CA, Anyone else with this problem who would work with me?

Last edited by rmm13; 04-14-2008 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: sent before finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM

227 posts, read 914,895 times
I am going through the same thing with 2 dogs and a bird moving in August. I was told that there is no way a animal can go in the cabin from mainland to Hawaii. It is set up that way because of the animal control wants the airlines to take the pets direct to them. Also if you are in the quick release program you have to fly into Honolulu. After they have been released and you fly to another island then they can go in the cabin with you.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 PM

23 posts, read 72,637 times
Actually there is direct release in Kauai, Maui and the Big Island as well as Honolulu. This was changed Sept 2007 - there is info on the Hi AG web site.
News Release - NR07-18 - September 7, 2007 — Hawaii Department of Agriculture (broken link)

We are going to Maui and I have been talking to the Vets and Humane Society there - United flys direct, but only pets in cargo and allows direct release in Maui - costs money and you have to arrange it - but would make it easier than flying to Honolulu then interisland!.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,995 times
We have the same issue with two cats, planning to go in a couple of months.

One possibility might be US Airways. Their on-line regulations say no pets in cabin on transatlantic flights, but seems to allow them to Hawaii. Here's the page:
US Airways | Pets

If you find anything else out, it would be great if you post it... clearly lots of us have the same issue!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 306,013 times
Default Airline carriers for pet transport?

Are there any differences in how the different airline carriers (United, Hawaiian Air, etc) handle the transport of pets to Hawaii? Are some carriers better than others, or do some treat the pet cargo better?

I'm trying to decide between United or Hawaiian, but can anyone share their experience?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,081 times
I have used United for my 2 dogs (golden retrievers) and 1 cat and was very satisfied with there service. They let me know when the animals were on board initially and when we switched planes in SFO.
Dave

Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 PM

649 posts, read 3,435,999 times
Continental offers a climate-controlled pet area, separate from regular baggage/cargo. I plan to use that airline for my cats in July, though I don't have any personal experience with transporting pets yet. It just sounded good to me.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,995 times
Check out the airline websites for their specific restrictions.

Reasons I'm not going with Hawaiian:
1. Pet limit (no more than one pet per person, even in cargo). This is a problem for me & my husband & our three pets. I saw this on their website, and called to confirm it with an agent.

2. Pet size limit. Dog + carrier must weigh less than 70lb. Ours is under, but barely. I don't want to get to the airport and have any problems or surprises.

3. Carrier restrictions. It seems like the largest carrier they allow is one inch smaller in every dimension than the standard one sold for medium dogs. It seems like one inch in each dimension (especially when that's the standard size) shouldn't be a big deal, but again, this is stressful for me & the dog already. Why take a chance on having some last-minute difficulty at the airport.

Thanks for the info about Continental... I'm going to check them out right now!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM

126 posts, read 686,836 times
I did exhaustive reasearch two years ago and ATA was the only one.

I brought my bird (ATA), and I would absolutely not fly her across the pacific in the belly of the plane.

eta that you cannot bring the bird in the cabin with you interisland with Hawaiian. You used to be able to with Aloha. You can with Go.

I fear for the ability to bring pets, particularly a bird, back out of Hawaii if you choose not to stay.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,383,973 times
Default Hawaiian Inter-island

We had to do a bit of shuffling around ourselves. However, we did find that Hawaiian Airlines is allowing us to bring our dog as 'carry-on' luggage from Honolulu to the BI with no extra charge, and pet/kennel have to remain under combined weight of 25 lbs. Seattle to Honolulu was another story. Joey has to ride in Baggage at $175.00. Then to Quarantine Station at Honolulu Airport for Direct Release then he is free to go. Be sure you have a confirmation # assigned for any/all pets you are bringing with you to be sure they are accounted for and that no embargo is in place for your planned date of arrival.

Our decision to fly via Honolulu was actually made for us since there are no direct flights to the BI anyway.

Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii