Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

270 posts, read 507,548 times

Advertisements

For several months, I have put all expenses for Hawaii into a separate expense area to see if I can, and then, if I am happy about it. Lease, food, utilities, car, gas, initial trip air fares, and car shipping fees, plus any pallet of items to send. Extra costs for Oahu are those placed aside, "as if" I were already there, and, experiencing the costs. I lived in a smaller area of my place, and did not use more area. Without a book report here, I lived smaller and with LESS. I turned off the a/c when humid and use fans and ceiling fans. I added the triple rate per kwh, for all electricity that is in Hawaii, versus where I am now. In summary, I CAN exist quite well, but, decided that Hawaii is just not worth the trouble. Congestion is in Miami and from Palm Beach southward. Beaches are all over and so is traffic. I am now many months in an area near beaches and lower costs than Hawaii, by FAR. For EVERYTHING versus Hawaii. With due respect to all here, a visit later on, but for now, no thanks.

Try it first, if you feel serious about moving and, you MAY save yourself a lot of time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
Well, that was an interesting experiment, Jeepers! However, on your experiment you had all the negatives of living in Hawaii without being offset by the positives. There are positives to living in Hawaii or none of us would put up with the negatives. However, you've got beaches nearby and a comfortable spot so staying there and saving enough money for the occasional Hawaii trip will allow you to have the best of Hawaii without all the negatives. Sounds like a great plan to me!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 20,167 times
interesting. i hope my husband doesn't see this post and decide to try this before we do anything further

Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post
interesting. i hope my husband doesn't see this post and decide to try this before we do anything further

LOL. Well, I believe in a light touch on a hot object prior to grabbing with both hands and lifting. Seriously, you may well be served in a positive manner, by reading many comments on the forum about various aspects in Oahu/Hawaii before committing resources and time. Perspectives are just that, but facts are facts. I WANT Hawaii to be terrific and many there clearly believe it is, terrific. Bless them all and more power to them ! The clear facts show that the state is very expensive across the spectrum. If anyone can accept and deal with that, good for them too ! Explore what prompts YOU on the "positives" side, and determine if those "positives" are what YOU think they are, in depth. No one else sustains another by paying your bills, on THEIR opinions. If we all felt the same way, fashion designers and car makers would be selling each of us the same vehicle and set of clothes. Best success to you!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:24 PM

i am just amazed at your self control

Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideyed.karen View Post
i am just amazed at your self control

Thank you for the kind comment. Now, I have to go outside and plunder the town, while driving & texting, running over pedestrians. LOL

PS-Must hurry though, because the early week "Saturday Night Live" , aka GOP Debate, comes on at 8 PM EST.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM

haha!!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM

4,419 posts, read 4,950,452 times
If the only factors you are going to use to decide where you want to live is a financial spreadsheet, then I suggest one of those locations where you can sponsor a child for 40 cents per day.

I don't know what the value of this post is, other than trying to "prove" that moving to Hawaii is the wrong decision based on misinformation. Like another poster said, "your experiment you had all the negatives of living in Hawaii without being offset by the positives". Personally, I would rather throw myself down a flight of stairs than live in Florida. But I love living in Hawaii. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,820,963 times
I'd rather live in 1/2 the size home, drive a car twice as old, and earn less per hour, just to be able to live in Hawaii. Hawaii, where the sunshine is free, sunsets are free, warm ocean is free, gentle breezes are free, going barefoot year-round is free, walks at 5pm any month of the year are free, tropical flowers in the yard are free. Need I say more? And yes, I live here.

Yes, there are probably 100 reasons for someone to NOT move to Hawaii, but putting money aside in a jar would not exposed those "real" reasons.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM

To reiterate -
I WANT Hawaii to be terrific and many there clearly believe it is, terrific. Bless them all and more power to them ! The clear facts show that the state is very expensive across the spectrum. If anyone can accept and deal with that, good for them too ! Explore what prompts YOU on the "positives" side, and determine if those "positives" are what YOU think they are, in depth. No one else sustains another by paying your bills, on THEIR opinions. If we all felt the same way, fashion designers and car makers would be selling each of us the same vehicle and set of clothes. Best success to you!
As for those with stairs, be careful and maintain health care; especially if ever going to Florida. Oops !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii