Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Gotta be one small dog to fit under a seat!

How many inches tall can the carrier be?

Do they have to stay in the carrier the whole trip?

My JRT and Poodle/Bichon fit under the seat. It has to be soft sided and way back when I first started flying with pets was told specifically that it had to be a Sherpa bag.

They do have to stay inside the whole flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,100 times
The following carrier size is accepted on Alaska Airlines for travel in the cabin:
TypeKennel SizeDimensions (height x width x depth)Hard-sided507.5" x 12" x 17"Soft-sided509.5" x 12" x 17

"Alaska Airlines accepts cats and dogs only for travel to and from Hawaii.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
I've never seen a pet carrier that can fit under an airplane seat...

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,462,658 times
Putting even a small dog or cat into a 7.5" carrier for hours is pretty cruel.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,822,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
How many inches tall can the carrier be?
Do they have to stay in the carrier the whole trip?
I've taken cats onboard both inbound and outbound. I've never tried a [small] dog, but if it stays quiet it should be fine.
Over the years, I've found that:
Some airlines only allow one animal per flight.
Some allow more than one, but only one per compartment.
There are special airline carries that fit under the seat. Travelers need to make sure that the carrier they plan to use is specifically accepted by the airline they are booked on. (Airline #A might approve a type of carrier that Airline #B will not.)
Yes, the pet has to stay in the carrier the whole trip. And stay under the seat (you cannot hold the carrier on your lap).
I did send a dog inner-island once in cargo. The airline "lost" my dog (in the crate) for about 6 hours.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
I hope all the petlovers take advantage of this new policy so other carriers will be prompted to follow or at the very least Alaska will keep it.
Thats the issue. Alaska is NEW at in cabin pets to Hawaii. They do not yet know of all the problems that could happen. Remember that before it went bankrupt ATA (last hold out) had decided to cease pets in cabin to hawaii starting 15 June 2009. They were also tired of all the problems and threw int he towel. Alaska has never been in the ring to know how hard the punches could be. Its all up to the passenegers to decide if this remains on Alaska and so far, none of the others are talking about brining it back except for an occassional test here and there to see if pasengers have changed.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Unfortunately this means I will have to go back to making explicit requests to Alaska staff that no animals be seated near me.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Unfortunately this means I will have to go back to making explicit requests to Alaska staff that no animals be seated near me.
Or inform their powers that you were using them because of the no pet policy in cabin but now that you have no way of knowing if one will or won;t be in the cabin, that unfortunetely, you will have to start using another airline. Thank them for their great service, and wish them well. Send it to one of the top executives and thats all you can do. They hear from those who want them to allow pets in the cabin, but not from those who don;t because there was no pets in the cabin. So you have to be just as outspoken and tell them you think its a mistake for the few they will carry to have the potential of people using another airline to avoid the pets.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,193,267 times
Interesting. I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with reservations for Alaska air. I am skeptical but the agent stated that Alaska is flying dogs in the cargo to Kona also. In the past I had to change from flying with Alaska to Hawaiian because they did not have the ability to fly dogs into Kona because they didn't have a cargo facility. The person had to go to supervisor to get answer. That is great news if again she is correct. Due to my dogs ticket would go from $750.00 one way on Hawaiian to $100 on Alaska. She stated all that was needed was the Direct release. I will be re checking again before I make a reservation.. Good luck if that is the case. As Alaska used to only fly animals in cargo (big dogs) to Honolulu and Maui.

FYI she did state that no animals would be flying for the month of Feb 2012.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,193,267 times
OK FYI again. Called Kona cargo for Alaska Air to confirm. No inbound flights other than in cabin to the Big Island on Alaska. Kona only does outbound - out of islands flights with bigger dogs. And still no animals except in cabin - cargo still only to Honolulu and Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: