Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

55 posts, read 180,761 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear they can fly in the cabin - it is torture for pets to fly in the bottom of the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM

941 posts, read 1,972,515 times
openD wrote: "I find it interesting that your assumption is that I am the one who should be re-seated."

Actually, you make a very good point: if you bring up your pet issue with an agent, and if they find one seated near you, they should first try to move the person with the pet. And Pacific Flights gives you all the amunition you need to stand firm--though if push comes to shove, can you prove you have a medical condition that prevents you from being seated next to a pet? But if they mess up and you later discover a pet near you in flight, then I think it's safer if you move, because the area around the pet will keep whatever it is that bothers you (pet hair, smell?).

I will add, however, that some frequent fliers or high-mileage members (they could get their miles from credit cards), have an attitude of entitlement as well. I think that's what's a bit grating about your responses. Like how you relish the news that you can get reseated to first class (or get someone else deplaned) because you can't sit next to their pet. I think the cramped quarters on a airplane make people get on each other's nerves, but all passengers are in the same boat (except 1st class of course), so let's try to solve this issue so everyone (and a pet) can travel safely and with the least discomfort.

The difference for Hawaii is that airplanes are the only practical way to get there. So human and pets must fly. Like you say, pets could fly in cargo, but there was an eye-witness report of baggage handlers throwing a pet carrier, and I know my cats were left somewhere for an hour, which could've been dangerous under other circumstances (heat, dehydration, etc.). If they can fly safely in cabin, why not? So now we're going around in circles, back to "why is it unsafe to have one pet in the cabin," given the pet and it's owner can be moved away from other passengers who have issues.

openD also wrote: "In fact Alaska's policy allows 1 in First Class, 5 in Cabin." That seems to contradict the original information in this thread, but going back to read those posts, they didn't give their sources. So have you confirmed that this is the policy for Hawaii flights as well? I do agree that having more pets makes it more difficult for the agents to reseat them and would lead to more risk for someone with medical issues with pets--and it complicates the deplaning procedures for the flight attendants, leading to more chance of problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,516,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
I think that's what's a bit grating about your responses. Like how you relish the news that you can get reseated to first class (or get someone else deplaned) because you can't sit next to their pet.
I don't relish the news, I'm just greatly relieved to hear that I DO have some rights. And I am not unsympathetic to people wanting to take pets with them, but I can honestly say I don't think most pet owners return the sympathy or the understanding that their animal can make me, or others, sick.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,720,491 times
Quote:
And Pacific Flights gives you all the amunition you need to stand firm--though if push comes to shove, can you prove you have a medical condition that prevents you from being seated next to a pet?
Technically, the airline flight crew is legally prohibited from requring proof of any medical ailment as a condition of moving someone traveling with a pet. Passenegr claims "medical" flight crew must move the person with the pet, no questions asked. But a good passenegr will simple observe the aircraft cabin and determine if moving or making the other person move is the best decission for them. I mean if I;m squished next to Dog Faced Debbie and her cat and a few rows up is a middle seat between Hottie Helen and Sexy sally, I;m a movin!!!!!

Quote:
The difference for Hawaii is that airplanes are the only practical way to get there. So human and pets must fly. Like you say, pets could fly in cargo, but there was an eye-witness report of baggage handlers throwing a pet carrier, and I know my cats were left somewhere for an hour, which could've been dangerous under other circumstances (heat, dehydration, etc.).
Don't forget, you have more than the option of cargo in the belly, you can ship them cargo in the cabin. This is available but it sounds less like people are concerned about their pets traveling but more about how they the person can't be with the pet as it travels. Yes they leave them at alone for hours on end during their normal life but when it comes to air travel, suddenly if the pet is out of sight for 2 seconds it becomes a death sentance.

As far as eyewiness accounts, take much with a grain of salt as many of those so called reports turn out to be lies. Remember that all incidents with pets (be it real from events or second hand reports) are maintained in a way that everyone in the industry can check on them. Do a search on CD's pet forum and you''ll see time and time agsin where someone tried to fabricate a report or make it sound like something it wasn;t only to be busted by those who can access the reports.

I;m not sayingt hat pet air travel is without a risk, it clearly is due to the number of deaths, but if you read the reports, you will suddenly start asking who are these stupid pet owners who transport their pets by air with known illnesses or medical issues?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,192,561 times
I will step in again...
On Hawaiian I have seen a service dog poodle in cabin. Very well behaved during entire flight on lap of owner. A customer did ask to be moved and seats were traded with someone who didn't care. I believe the airlines would try to help someone with allergies or conditions as long as reasonable. (Don't know if they would for perfume or screaming child next to you?)

There is no way to try and beat the system. If you are traveling with animal it will have to go through proper procedures and I can't see it possible to sneak a pet on board let alone a tube of toothpaste! The animal will still have to go through Honolulu quarantine or Direct Release on other islands that the airline and island has to be gone through the process with a vet.

Cargo is not bad - or cargo people working. Maybe some short nose breeds have issues but the airlines have rules to follow.

I can state this as my dog has been in cargo on 8 flights - including 5 flights Seattle to Hilo. Would he rather be swiming on beach sure. Does he refuse to get into his crate knowing (remembering) ok this is gonna be a long flight. No he jumps right in. The cargo workers are very nice. They watch animals, talk to them. When transfering they always let me take him out - give water- on inboud to Hawaii. Out bound when having to transfer Hilo Honolulu and to Seattle I can't go let him out. However he has always shown up in good condition and the workers always say how much they like him. Extra large dog crate and that turns out with him in crate for 10 hours.

You can always go with other options. Yes it is hard to go through the process the first time. If coming for a short vacation- leave them at home I would advise but each their own.

I give high praise to the cargo workers and have no issues flying my dog in cargo. And again.. no cargo for animals to Kona on Alaska Air- only outbound.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM

941 posts, read 1,972,515 times
PacificFlights wrote: "Technically, the airline flight crew is legally prohibited from requring proof of any medical ailment as a condition of moving someone traveling with a pet."

Thanks for all the insider details. We're here trying to debate what's just and fair, so it helps to know how the system works and be corrected when we get it wrong.

OpenD wrote: "I'm just greatly relieved to hear that I DO have some rights."

It sounds like you had a bad experience once and for some reason had to suffer instead of the flight attendants moving you or the pet and its owner. But I think no one in this discussion is saying passengers don't have rights, especially those with medical conditions.

And " And I am not unsympathetic to people wanting to take pets with them,"

That's great to hear, because it hadn't come out yet.

"but I can honestly say I don't think most pet owners return the sympathy or the understanding that their animal can make me, or others, sick."

I think if you explained it better, people might be able to understand better. There were some extreme examples on this thread (Dthraco with cat poo, jimrob1 with rats), and you didn't really explain your situation (or your sympathy). Plus, with your comments about miles and seat reservations, it didn't always look like you were only concerned for your health.

As for pet owners, yes, some are basket cases or unsympathetic to others, but to make a blanket assumption and base your attitude on that is unfair. I'm sure the vast majority are caring and wouldn't want you to be ill. And I think in an airline situation, with gate attendants to handle the seating, you can get your seat and the pet owner can be moved a safe distance away.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM

11 posts, read 18,867 times
Default Private jets to Hawaii

Anyone interested in getting a private jet and helping with the fees to get our dogs to Hawaii within the next 6 months??

Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,583 times
When I flew from the mainland to move to the Virgin Islands with my toy spaniel last year, when the plane landed, I asked the people around me if I could have a little extra room so that I could pull my dog's carrier out from under the seat. Every single one of them was astounded that I had a dog with me. Shocked. They all asked to see him and were delighted by his doggy smile. He was under the seat in front of me for about 3-1/2 hours (considering boarding, flight, and waiting to deplane) and not one person had a clue that I had a dog...not even my seatmates, believe it or not...when I took my seat they didn't greet me and they just stuck their noses in their books for the whole flight.

We are flying both our small dogs to move to HI in August and I'll bet the same thing happens, nobody will even have a clue.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,442,892 times
This thread has migrated from a topic of pets flying in the cabin to allergies....hmmm.... I believe there is a Pet forum for such discussions.

7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: