Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 AM

62 posts, read 223,678 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected. I have never known a company to give you access to their router. That opens up all kinds of issues. If you can access the equipment it makes it a lot easier to hack to get to BIN files and such. Honestly, that really suprises me that they allow that. Thanks for the correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Default Hawaiian Telcom sucks!!!

I know this is and old thread, but just in case there are other people out there looking for information on Oahu's internet choices. I have had both Oceanic Roadrunner and Hawaiian Telcom DSL and I can say that Hawaiian Telcom's DSL service is terrible if you live in the Ewa area. Don't even bother paying for the higher speed plans because you are not going to get it. Ewa is at the far reaches of Hawaiian Telcom's service area and the best your speeds will be is around 4/5 mbps. I have continually battled with them about how slow my internet speed is and it's inconsistency and I'm always told there is nothing they can do about it because the hardware/lines/equipment in our area is not up to date. So when you pay for a plan that says $20 lifetime for "Up to 7mpbs" that doesn't mean you are going to get 7mbps. That means you can get "up to" 7mbps and not that you will actually get it. So before choosing Hawaiian Telcom, I would ask them how the service is in your part of the island.

I understand that with Roadrunner, if you live in a busy area, that speeds will slow down, but even though Hawaiian Telcom's DSL lines are dedicated lines to your homes/businesses, the inconsistent fluctuations in the speeds are just as annoying as Roadrunners "slow" times. The lesser of two evils in my opinion, IF YOU LIVE IN EWA, is that you go with Roadrunner.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
I pay for standard Oceanic internet in Kailua - and get consistently get the "Turbo" speeds or over 20Mbps

Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,867 times
We have Hawaiian Telcom here in the Hilo area and while I've never tried Oceanic, our up and download speeds are smokin'. We're super happy with it, and we even got a cheap landline bundled in with it.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
I get 20 mbps down and 2 mbps upload all day and all night long with roadrunner turbo, here in Ewa Beach. Road Runner has really changed in the last few months. There service is the best as far as speed to price ratio.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,643 times
There are two people on our little lane that fit this description -- architecture and engineering -so how do we end up with o%?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 AM

30 posts, read 42,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I have Hawaiian Telcom DSL service and just recently started having issues with it. Whenever I get a phone call and I'm on the computer the computer poops out. Then I have to reboot the router. Really annoying.
Has me getting all nostalgic about dial-up.
I'll call them and see if they can do anything but if it continues I'll think about going with RoadRunner.
Lol i have the same issue its very frustrating.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kaluna View Post
Lol i have the same issue its very frustrating.
If the router is getting HOT, it can do that. Put a fan on it, or ask for a new router.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Bound View Post
I stand corrected. I have never known a company to give you access to their router. That opens up all kinds of issues. If you can access the equipment it makes it a lot easier to hack to get to BIN files and such. Honestly, that really suprises me that they allow that. Thanks for the correction.
I have never had a company NOT allow me to get into the wireless router... The defaults generally aren't good enough for what I need and I separate the wireless into a separate virtual network from the wired side. Keeps the boys gaming away from my real work and I can set speed limits for connections.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Well, our internet connection is via Roadrunner and it's been progressively degrading. However, it is now suspected that it is a combination of the old modem and old wireless router. We own the router so access isn't a problem, but the modem is from Roadrunner. We've been paying $6 a month to rent it from Roadrunner but apparently it is okay to buy your own modem and use that instead. So, we will be replacing the old equipment with new as soon as we figure out which equipment to get. That should speed things up, we hope. I suppose we will have to mail order the stuff, too, unless someone knows of a place on the Big Island to get stuff like this? Radio Shack doesn't carry routers or modems. Office Max? Hmm, maybe the computer place next to where the car dealership used to be over by Hilo Shopping center. Well, dunno as if it's worth a separate trip into Hilo or Kailua-Kona, it's usually cheaper to pay to have things mailed than to drive. Amazing how many things the price of gasoline can change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii