Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 16,307 times

Advertisements

Ive looked around at all the post and they have some great information, but I havent seen anything from the East coast area.. So a little information.. me and my ex fiance broke up so im moving back to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.. where my parents live and im not sure about shipping my car there or just paying the money and returning it to the dealer.. I have a 2011 Nissan Altima and Im leasing it for 3 years, and next month it will be 1 year having it... So i can either pay to turn it in early which is about 4,000$ or ship my car for about 2,000$... I have no idea what to do.. im pretty stuck.. I will be working on Schofield and I know I can get a transfer from my work.. i just dont know how long the transfer will take.. may be a while.. But if I ship it.. who should i go through? I seen Horizon is a really good company.. and i wonder how long it will take from PA to Hawaii...Also I asked if the leasing company and they said it was okay for me to transfer it..

If anyone can give me any suggestions that would be perfect!! Thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylergurl05 View Post
Ive looked around at all the post and they have some great information, but I havent seen anything from the East coast area.. So a little information.. me and my ex fiance broke up so im moving back to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.. where my parents live and im not sure about shipping my car there or just paying the money and returning it to the dealer.. I have a 2011 Nissan Altima and Im leasing it for 3 years, and next month it will be 1 year having it... So i can either pay to turn it in early which is about 4,000$ or ship my car for about 2,000$... I have no idea what to do.. im pretty stuck.. I will be working on Schofield and I know I can get a transfer from my work.. i just dont know how long the transfer will take.. may be a while.. But if I ship it.. who should i go through? I seen Horizon is a really good company.. and i wonder how long it will take from PA to Hawaii...Also I asked if the leasing company and they said it was okay for me to transfer it..

If anyone can give me any suggestions that would be perfect!! Thank you very much!!
Call the leasing company if they will let you register your car in Hawaii - many don't allow it like Lexus and Toyota - you can get the car there but getting registered can be a problem.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
So you are wondering if you should pay $4,000 and have no car, or pay $2,000 to ship the car to Hawaii and have a car there? Sounds like a no-brainer, unless you don't plan to keep the car after the lease is up, in which case you'll have to pay $2,000 to ship it back to PA so you'll still be out $4,000.

As far as who to ship through, there's Horizon, Matson and Pasha (there are also brokers who will handle all of the shipping for you). They all have great websites with lots of information. We drove our car to the west coast and shipped it from Long Beach through Matson. I suggest that you call them directly and ask your questions, especially about what you would need to ship a leased car.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Here's a fairly decent comparison of the choices you have in shipping your car to Hawai'i.

Shipping Cars To Hawaii | Moving To Hawaii

Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I had a friend who shipped a car from Baltimore to Kauai and it took about 6 weeks.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
How about drive your car to Long Beach or San Diego and ship it for $1200 and fly out of SoCal? Airfares probably cheaper as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

I can't drive my car to CA because I have a set amount of miles I can't go over and of I drive that far then I will be diffently over them.. =[ I talked to Horizon and they said I did not need a dealer letter saying it was ok to ship only of I'm shipping from Hawaii to somewhere else.. And I also talked to the dealer and they said my payment might change because of hawaiis sale tax.. But I don't understand i didn't buy the car I just leased it.. And I seem hawaiis sales tax is 4% and PAs sales tax is 6%... So it really might be cheaper.. Lol

Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
I can't drive my car to CA because I have a set amount of miles I can't go over and of I drive that far then I will be diffently over them.. =[ I talked to Horizon and they said I did not need a dealer letter saying it was ok to ship only of I'm shipping from Hawaii to somewhere else.. And I also talked to the dealer and they said my payment might change because of hawaiis sale tax.. But I don't understand i didn't buy the car I just leased it.. And I seem hawaiis sales tax is 4% and PAs sales tax is 6%... So it really might be cheaper.. Lol
I'll reiterate - many leasing companies don't allow you to ship your car to Hawaii. Your dealer will probably be little help - you need to read your contract and call your leasing company.

The shipping companies don't really care when the car comes from the mainland - they'll take your money and ship it. Your downside if you get the car here and you want to register it is that you need a release letter to proceed with registration. If you don't get the release you can't register your car. You can still drive it but you are setting yourself up to getting pulled over by the police by because of your out of state plates.

Toyota Financial and Lexus Financial are specific examples of leasing companies that don't allow cars leased on the mainland to be in Hawaii. I've got to think there are others. Those leasing companies will not give the release to register the car (unless you are active military with orders).

The runaround I got from Lexus Financial was this - they stated they never give the release unless active military because they don't do business in Hawaii - huh??????. Yep - Lexus and Toyota Financial only do business in North America while Lexus in Hawaii is operated by Lexus of Japan. My first, that's Hawaii moment.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:

Get the OK from the leasing company in writing.

Don't worry about the extra miles of driving it to California because you will most likely drive very little on Oahu compared to where you are now. You CAN go over the lease miles, but it costs you, per mile when you turn it in at the end of the lease.

Matson, Pasha and Horizon are the only actual shippers of vehicles to/from Hawaii and their prices are within a dollar or two of each other. Anyone else is a broker and they will simply put your car on one of those three companies ships anyway.

Dependent upon shipping schedules and what port you drop it off at, it can take as little as 7 days to three weeks. If you drive the vehicle to a West coast port, you can drop off the car and fly over from there, saving on your plane ticket as well.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys! i think im going to use shipmyvehicle thats the same as Horizon correct? And I have to go through Nissan Corp to deal with my leasing company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii