Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 31,013 times

Advertisements

Aloha All,

Been lurking about in this group for long time now, reading and taking in all the interesting perspectives. It is a great group!

After 6 years of planning, working, making our businesses grow and function day-to-day without our interferences, we are finally moving to Hawai'i. Our first pick is Kauai (and it is where we are staying for a while), but price is sooooo high!!!! We can do it, but it will be a tiny teensy house, which is also OK. Seeing O'ahu housing prices drop drastically, so it is an interesting time. I have heard in the past that Kauai has a "season" for real estate---does anyone have experience with this????

We have been many many times and stayed for extended periods, we are comfortable no matter where we are: Leeward Oahu, Poipu Kauai, Hilo---even though we are blonde haoles, we've never received a stink eye (except Molokai, but that was a fluke, I think---the whole Case thing was going on at the time and I think ppl thought we were there to buy up land...). I think I am an elderly Japanese/Hawaiian woman in a haole body---you should see me at Marukai buying Spam Mitsubi at discount late in the day. I am a freak of nature.

We are bringing our pets (I feel like I could write a book on that subject alone!). We don't need to get a job and we have no children to send to school, although we are envisioning working with children in a philanthropic way---helping with after school programs, teaching computers, seeding small businesses---something that will allow us to give back. I love to cook, especially for crowds, so perhaps something in my future will revolve around feeding people....

If you were us, where would you live? Know a good realtor on Kauai or Oahu? I would like to keep the house price at about 500K---and we can live in a 2b/1ba house if we need to.....I know 500 won't get much anymore....

Thanks in advance for your advice and insights!

(OMG!!!! We've finally done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I moved to Kauai this past summer and I feel like you would be able to find something- albeit small- here. Most of the houses in my area seem to run a bit higher. What part of the island are you thinking of? A lot of transplants live in Wailua Homesteads, so that may be a good neighborhood for you to start your search. Living in the North shore is typically more expensive and you may feel out of place in Waimea or Kekaha as that is where the majority of the locals live. Kauai is a wonderful place to live, and I am sure you have heard it 1000s of times, but it is much different to live here than it is to visit. Did you read So you want to move to Hawaii?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 AM

312 posts, read 1,639,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntyF View Post
If you were us, where would you live? Know a good realtor on Kauai or Oahu? I would like to keep the house price at about 500K---and we can live in a 2b/1ba house if we need to.....I know 500 won't get much anymore....
Everyone has different opinions and lifestyles, so I don't know what fits yours best.

Personally I like Oahu (other than the cost of houses! ). I sent you a direct message with info on my friend who is a realtor on Oahu. She is very professional and a sweet gal.

On Oahu you won't get much for $500k for a single-family house. You could get a nice condo or townhouse. Personally I'd go for a townhouse. Here are some ideas for where to look for townhouses...

Old townhomes, great neighborhoods:
Marina Palms (Hawaii Kai)
Waialae Gardens (Kahala)
Tropic Gardens (Kahala)

Old townhomes, good neighborhoods:
Aikahi Gardens (Kailua)
Wailuna (Pearl City)
Fairway Village (Mililani)

Newer townhomes, good neighborhoods, traffic if you have to commute:
Fairway Village (Waikele)
Village on the Green (Waikele)
Nohona (Mililani Mauka)
Ocean Ridge (Makakilo)
Kai Nani (Makakilo)
Arbors (Ewa Beach)

Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 AM

65 posts, read 377,168 times
Congrats and good luck. Everyplace has a "season" for real estate. When that is though varies all the time.

I like Kauai, I'm sick of crowds, and like nice beaches and no homeless.

But on Oahu theres alot more to do.

If you like country life go to Kauai, if you like city life go to Oahu.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 31,013 times
Thanks everyone!

I like the country life and town living too. I've spent months on both islands, and so we will see. The very good news is that we don't have to commute (and add to everyone else's misery too) and I will not be draining jobs from the local economy. I started off in life as a state transportation planner, so I find the traffic problems interesting puzzles and have a good understanding of the impacts upon ppls lives and local economies. Maybe I can be of help???? That is probably being pretty conceited....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii