U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,107,423 times

Advertisements

Check out Alohatoystore.com, and look at the GEM. Totally electric, can't even do 30 mph, used to really irritate me when driving out to Kaanapali or Napili, these guys would be in front of you and slow the traffic way down. If they can get registered, which obviously they can, I think you would have a case for your UTV.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM

115 posts, read 449,703 times
Thanks Jungjohann,

I called them and they no longer do any of the small stuff like that anymore and the guy who answered I think was in a bad mood. Maybe he just didn't feel like talking today.

If there is anyone on oahu down by waikiki they have a place that is renting some type of three wheel vehicles and if anyone knows the name of the place I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Old 09-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Jimbo,
Check out the Scootcar, that's what they rent out in Waikiki, 3 wheeler with a top speed of 40 mph seats 2 people, and looks like an accident waiting to happen. The # in Honolulu for rental is 866-916-6733. I think this would give you a definite case for being able to register over here. You have a VIN #, if not, that could pose a problem. Found a place in SF that will rent you one for about $120.00 a day!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Last edited by Jungjohann; 09-15-2007 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks again, the scootcar wasn't what I saw but I se how they get away with it by using a motor under 50cc that does not need a license.

The ones I saw were right behind the Hilton Hawaiian Village and they were all yellow if I remember right that had the bigger engines in them and bigger.

I sure do appreciate the help on this. I think it's a problem here also having having the under 50cc vehicles as they are more unsafe as they hold up traffic and I don't think one of them ever follows the law.

As far as the VIN number they sure do besides I am a licensed manufacturer and registered with the government with my own 17 digit VIN's It's just getting the Hawaii MVD to approve the use and finding one instance on the islands is all I need.

It's just kinda funny how they will let this other stuff on the roads but not a proven vehicle like mine. The Rhino races in the Baja 1000 a major off road race if your not familar with that and is built to withstand heavey hits. It has a tubular frame with with a square backbone and that's from the factory and then we get a hold of them and add even more strength and protection. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I still can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me out like this, If I can get this done I will be sure to come see you with one and let you see what they are about.

Thanks again

Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Jimbo,
I had no idea as to how many vehicles of this nature are out there! Check out USA Wholesale Scooters, all kinds of stuff that they claim are street legal. I'll give Maui DMV a call on Monday if you like, after the Lotus Elise fiasco I got to know a few of the folks who work there, see if they'll consider registering something like what you have. If you have plates and reg where you are located now, really can't see how they could turn you down. Hell, just bring it over and see what happens.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 AM

I would love to just bring one over but the cost involved to ship it over and back with the hopes to use it would be to much if we ended up having to rent a car also.

Thanks for the offer on calling the MVD on Maui but I am still working with them and the Mayor about this and will see how it plays out. Next will be the Senator and Governor

At this point it's more principle than anything. We were looking at bringing over our Alternative Energy Manufacturing Division so that we could help with some good jobs for people and a way to help with low cost power for homes.

What I have done here is buy all my key employee's one of these Rhinos as a bonus and a way they could save money on transportation costs. Don't get me wrong I am not rich or anything but I believe that owning a company is a privilege and the profits should be spread out through the people that actually make the company a success. It gives them a way to support their family along with becoming one of my families.

I like the way my employees wanting to come to work and have fun while their there, it just makes it a better place all around.

Thanks agin for your help and yes I can't believe what they let on the roads after looking at that website USA Wholesale Scooters.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Well Jungjohann, they stated that "It is unfortunate that the vehicles in question cannot be registered in Hawaii at this time, as all vehicles operated on public roadways and highways must meet FMVSS"

So I guess I am taking it up a few levels now.

When I finally get over there I sure would like to meet you and buy you a drink of your choice.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM

It's pretty pathetic that the downhill bike tours from Haleakala pretty much lose someone, as in killed, every year or so, and they have a permit to operate. Absolutely no one who lives upcountry wants them around, but they're still in business. Same with the moped rentals, kids get into accidents with those things all the time, but the operators still get permits to operate. You want to bring over something more sensible, can keep up with traffic, low emissions, and the State says no. There was a time over here where if you knew what palms to grease, a permit or license was no problem. Nothing like the good old boy network.
I'll take a Guiness Draft!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 AM

I am trying to do things the right way and keep getting the door slammed in my face and I don't want any bad blood between me and the government if I ever want to bring a business over there they can do all kinds of bad stuff.

You are so right about what they allow and what they don't it just does'nt make any sense.

I will keep up until I hit the highest point possible and you are on for the Guiness Draft.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Well just got back from the islands checking some things out and everyone I talked to relating to bringing a business over acted as if I had the Plague for some reason. I was really disappointed in the lack of help with the paper pushers.

As far as the UTV goes I am still trying since we are still wanting to move there. My wife and I have just figured on selling everything instead and maybe just start something small over there to keep us busy while still enjoying the life style.

Jungjohann that Guiness Draft is looking better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii