U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 AM

142 posts, read 275,940 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to get an iphone, and hoping I could get some recommendations on providers with the best overall reception.

Mahalo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 AM

431 posts, read 893,252 times
I've had AT&T and Verizon---Verizon wins hands down.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 AM

12,971 posts, read 26,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyapint View Post
I would like to get an iphone, and hoping I could get some recommendations on providers with the best overall reception.
More than anyplace else I know, you really have to check specific locations that matter to you. Different carriers have different weak areas, and you can literally go from 4 bars to no bars within less than a 1/4 mile. I've stood next to a friend and had a strong signal while he had none, and vice-versa.

And need I say, look at the Android smartphones too. Part of the reason they're outselling iPhones now is that they have features the iPhones don't have, and they're generally less expensive, because you don't have to pay the high AppleTax*.

*AppleTax = the very high premium charged for Apple - branded equipment to cover the supposed coolness factor. Generally figured at an added 25% on computer equipment, it's far higher on iPhones. Industry analysts calculate it costs $15 - 30 to manufacture an iPhone, which is priced before carrier subsidies at over $600. $300 of that is profit to Apple.

You can do better.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

142 posts, read 275,940 times
Thanks guys. Leaning towards sprint as they have unlimited data. Anyone with sprint in Honolulu? I prefer iphone but could give android a try if its reliable. I just heard its a bit of a no mans land due to a free reign app store. Also iphone gets all the good apps first.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,854,565 times
I have Sprint and live on the Big Island. While I love Sprint's unlimited everything plans, my service is sketchy at times.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Leaning towards sprint as they have unlimited data. Anyone with sprint in Honolulu?
I'm dubious that Sprint will keep up the unlimited data for long, but you've got the right idea asking about coverage in Honolulu, if that's where you will be. Check their coverage map for even more specific info on favorite addresses.

Quote:
I prefer iphone but could give android a try if its reliable.
What? Are you serious? Seriously? OK, try this... what kind of service does an iPhone get when its battery has run down? Now ask me how much better my Android works once I slip in a spare battery. The difference is overwhelming, especially when you're away from a convenient recharging point for a while.

Quote:
I just heard its a bit of a no mans land due to a free reign app store.
I just heard the Queen of England is really a man. Some information you can trust, some you can't.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM

11,754 posts, read 15,811,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
What? Are you serious? Seriously? OK, try this... what kind of service does an iPhone get when its battery has run down? Now ask me how much better my Android works once I slip in a spare battery. The difference is overwhelming, especially when you're away from a convenient recharging point for a while.
I'm not going to get into the Andriod debate since I've never used one - I like my iphone I can't even think of one thing I don't like about it.

But, in terms of battery - it is virtually impossible to run out of battery even with extreme use with a battery pack - you can barely tell it is there and extends the battery to 36 hours audio, 9 hours video, 6 hours talk time in addition to the iphone battery.

mophie juice pack air® - iPhone 4/4S rechargeable backup battery case

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
But, in terms of battery - it is virtually impossible to run out of battery even with extreme use with a battery pack -
True, but since none of my friends with iPods has a Mophiepack, and nobody even knows anyone with a Mophipack, they all ask to use my phone once they run down the battery on theirs.

Oh, and when my battery eventually dies of old age... as they all do eventually... I just slip in a replacement battery, no sending it away for surgery required.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM

11,754 posts, read 15,811,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
True, but since none of my friends with iPods has a Mophiepack, and nobody even knows anyone with a Mophipack, they all ask to use my phone once they run down the battery on theirs.
Now you know someone and you can be a hero to your friends.

And - some people do like the phone.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/24/tech...ings/index.htm

Last edited by whtviper1; 04-24-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: broken link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: