Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 50,674 times

Advertisements

Hi

I just found out that in February my husband and I will be moving from Seattle to (probably) Hawaii or San Diego. I want to know the pros and cons of each. We're military (navy) so the cost of living isn't that much of an issue. I'm a media artist (animation/illustration) and I know that San Diego may be a better bet for me work-wise, but what does Hawaii have to offer an artist? Also we are in our mid-twenties, laid-back with no kids, and are originally southerners from Louisiana. I'm just trying to figure out what place would be the best for us. I know for sure that I'll probably be happy in either place weather-wise; I HATE Seattle weather (too cold and gray). We would be stationed in Hawaii or San Diego, Calif. for 3 years. I'd appreciate any comments/advice that would help us decide which place would suit us the best. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:00 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Not sure about the job market for you, but the basic issue with Hawaii is that while it's beautiful and exotic, it's still a tiny bunch of islands in the middle of the ocean that's a l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g way from anything else. You won't be taking too many weekend road trips . . .

That being said, being military is probably the best way to live in HI for a couple of years, since that makes it much more affordable. Plus, it's already half-way to Japan, China, Australia, etc for more exotic travel.

I guess if I were in your shoes (i.e., young, no kids), I'd go for HI, unless you had some really pressing ties to the mainland.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks, I'm leaning towards HI as well but want to make an educated decision. Ties to the mainland: family, but 3 years is doable, and work. My excuse for work is that I could do freelance work online if I have to. My dreams for the film industry would be put on hold. But then I ask myself, what other time will I be able to experience Hawaii without having to pay like a tourist? Tough one.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Young? No kids?

Heck yeah, Hawaii.

Ken

Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

lol I'm starting to see a pattern. SD seems to have a lot to offer as well though,hum..

Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM

115 posts, read 471,435 times
San Diego has a lot to offer as far as terrible traffic, smog and you will very seldom see a sun rise there but you have seaworld, a ton of dining oh and bunches and bunches of people there.

I would say while your on the government dime experience Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 298,906 times
We're military and moved from SD to Hawaii. We loved SD but we're really enjoying Hawaii (we've been here a little over 1 year). I wouldn't want to live here forever, but we are making the most of our 3 years here. And yes, since you are military, you can take advantage of the commissaries, etc and cost of living won't be too much of a shock. Since you don't have kids, you can "vacation" on other islands rather easily. The weather is great!!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,658 times
Hi, I'm from SD born and raise, also military i thought i'd NEVER want to leave SD but after vacationing in HAWAII now I can't wait to move there. It was the best experience EVER. everyone is alot nicer there and you wont have to deal with this crazy traffic! it really is crazy ! i would suggest going to HAWAII ! take advantage after all it's only 3 years ! hope you deciede and make the right choice !

Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,324 times
Hubby and I are stationed in Hawaii and we love it, sooooo I will say HAWAII.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM

124 posts, read 734,095 times
Obviously, you know SD is very close to Mexico and heavily Hispanic while Hawaii has it's roots deep in Asian pacific areas.As someone who lived in SoCal for a bit, I'd say go with Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii