Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 25,028 times

Advertisements

In Louisiana I can send my children to any school within the district in which I am teaching, regardless of where I live. Does anyone know if the same is true in Hawaii? There appear to be a few schools worth sending my child to, but those are probably the first teaching vacancies filled.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 47,451 times
Default Geographic Exception

Aloha!
According to state law (Hawaii Revised Statutes §302A-1143 and Hawaii Administrative Rule chapter 8-13) school-aged children are required to attend the school in the area in which they reside, unless permitted to attend another school through a geographic exception.

Here's the Hawaii State Department of Education site showing the regional "complex-areas"
Find mySchool on O'ahu

And the site for Geographic Exception:
Geographic Exceptions

i've no personal exerience with the Geographic Exception process, but believe it is a somewhat common request. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Hawaii is one school district.
A "complex area" is comprised of a series of elementary schools that feed into a high school.
The only way to send your child to a different school is if the complex is "failing" according to the no child left behind act.
Even so, that requires paperwork, etc.

I would look into getting your child into a charter school, however, since entry is based upon lottery and the lottery was done months ago, your chances for that are almost zero for the next school year.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 25,028 times
Thanks everyone. It looks as if our house/apartment hunting will need to be restricted to the areas with better schools since charter schools are finished with their lotteries. Wonderful links, grizz1y!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Just because a school in Hawaii is a charter school, does not mean it is a school that excels in academics. I can name three right off the bat that are not all that grand. Matter of fact, we did private middle school for one of our children instead of sending that child to a low performing charter middle school.

Of course, some charters are higher performing schools. It comes down to checking into the school, be it charter or not, before you decide if it is a good "fit" for your children.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 245,281 times
GEs can be difficult to get in certain complexes. While routinely requested, I don't believe you can say they are routinely granted. I would not count on it

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 PM

81 posts, read 220,743 times
I tried 2 years to get A GE for my son at Desilva and Haaheo El. He didn't get in. They had a HUGE number of kids trying to get in. We lucked out and got into Volcano Charter school and couldn't be happier. If you can't get in a good charter, I would plan on renting in a good district. Desilva is tops by far, and then Haheo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii