Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times

Advertisements

It costs SO much to ship cars from the Caribbean to Hawai'i that we'd decided to sell them here and get something when we get there (we already have a car to use when we get there). Even if we sold them at a loss, we'd still be ahead financially. We crunched the numbers and decided it was a good decision. Once we arrive, we are leasing a car from friends for a while. That way if HI doesn't work out for us, we don't have to worry about selling or shipping a car.

But our plans have gone awry. My beautiful, beloved '99 NB MX5 Miata was t-boned this morning by a huge truck on my way to work. I evaded him best I could and I could have been hurt much, much worse...trip to the ER, I'm in a lot of pain but nothing permanent. Prescribed ice, naproxen and a few days off work. Thank goodness I'm a very skilled driver with good reflexes. I might be in the hospital right now, or worse.

It looks like they might total out the Miata. I stood on the side of the road and sobbed looking at my beautiful girl all crunched in. It was especially depressing to be all alone as my spouse has been in HI for nearly two months now. Luckily, I was able to reach him and his voice was so soothing to me.

Thankfully, the guy who hit me has excellent insurance. He was very kind and remorseful. He made an error in judgment. Someone else waved him into traffic and instead of looking for himself, he blindly went through and nailed me. He got TWO tickets. Sucks to be him, I can't imagine what his rates will go up to next time he renews.

So, one less car to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
so glad you are ok. how scary. you will find a cute new girl to drive when you get here.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 PM

198 posts, read 387,134 times
Good to hear that you are ok. You will now get full value for your car, as opposed to selling it privately, and buy a new convertible in HI. Once the pain wears off, you will realize that this was a good thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 AM

406 posts, read 866,248 times
I'm so glad you are OK. Take very good care of yourself so those injuries don't get worse.

Mickey

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM

Thank you, Mickey. I am totally babying myself, yesterday and today. Hoping to hear from his insurance company soon to arrange for a rental car.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Wow,Crazy stuff! Glad you're OK.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks OD. Got rental car today and saw the doc; I start PT on Monday.

I haven't a clue what will happen to my beloved Miata. Smart thing would be to total her. Makes me weep.

Was very shocked to receive such compassionate care from EVERYONE at our bankrupt, third world country hospital. They recently laid off most of the nursing staff; they might even close, they are that broke...but the caregivers there were above and beyond anything I've experienced on the mainland with their compassion and concern.

The treatment, on the other hand, was nonexistent. Basically I was told "you're OK to go home, please call your doctor and make and appointment." They just don't have the equipment and supplies to do more than stabilize you.

I've heard HI isn't any better, I suppose this will prepare me for my new home, lol.

Other guy's insurance company also patient and compassionate. Another surprise. I don't expect much here and when service excels, it's really a big surprise. They said this will be settled early next week and to go ahead, rent a car, seek treatment, they've got it.

I heard through the auto body shop that the tow truck driver wanted to be paid, called his cell and he met me at a mutually convenient place so I could pay him. Very nice.

Headed back to work tomorrow; will come home if pain too great.

p.s. Toyota Yaris rental is peppy and responsive!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM

On a side topic, I pay about $19 a month for "Skymed" here. Basically it covers air evacuation to the mainland if I need treatment that my island can't handle (which is basically anything more serious than a hangnail...)

Does anyone in HI here have Skymed? I know I need air evac insurance once I move; was just wondering about Skymed's rep on HI. They are a respected player here but not sure about HI. Easier to keep them if they are good than to seek an alternate. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
I think I've read on here that the insurance companies fly you to Oahu if necessary

Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 AM

Thanks, Wink good to know. I'll definitely read my new policy after I get insurance in HI to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii