Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,396 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My name is Rene, I'm 23 years old and I live in Wisconsin. Although this is my first time posting here I am very familiar with the website, I come here all the time to get info on the places I travel to. This time I decided to ask for advice cause I really need detailed information and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I hope to get lots of information from you, dear readers (btw thank you for taking the time).

So, my family and I (5 members total) decided to forget about snowblowers and just have a nice, warm christmas and what better place than Hawaii, right? We are looking at a 5 to 7 day stay but haven't decided what island is best for that time of the year(December). We are looking for a nice quite beach. I just want to sit in the water and let it hug me without me being afraid the water will suck me in to my death (like some California beaches o_O). I don't want it to be a secluded place really, some shopping areas, nice restaurants, markets would be nice. I'm not really too worried about expenses, sure I don't want to end up broke but I just want this family trip to a great one.

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated

- Rene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJSL View Post

So, my family and I (5 members total) decided to forget about snowblowers and just have a nice, warm christmas and what better place than Hawaii, right? We are looking at a 5 to 7 day stay but haven't decided what island is best for that time of the year(December). We are looking for a nice quite beach. I just want to sit in the water and let it hug me without me being afraid the water will suck me in to my death (like some California beaches o_O). I don't want it to be a secluded place really, some shopping areas, nice restaurants, markets would be nice.
I think the place you are describing is on Maui - specifically in the Wailea/Kihei area.

Keep in mind that December is the wet season in Hawaii - you may get 7 clear days but you never know that time of year.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM

37 posts, read 61,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJSL View Post
We are looking at a 5 to 7 day stay but haven't decided what island is best for that time of the year(December). We are looking for a nice quite beach. I just want to sit in the water and let it hug me without me being afraid the water will suck me in to my death (like some California beaches o_O). I don't want it to be a secluded place really, some shopping areas, nice restaurants, markets would be nice. I'm not really too worried about expenses, sure I don't want to end up broke but I just want this family trip to a great one.

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated

- Rene.
Why not stay on the Big Island, right in downtown Kailua-Kona (i say downtown loosely, but it's rather charming with shops and restaurants), maybe at the King Kamehameha Hotel right on the beach (now called the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel). The King Kam used to be rather divey looking in a stuck in the 70s sort of way, but they recently had a renovation and it's rather nice. Nice beach on premises, nice beach right in town. You can rent a car for the day and drive north to the beaches, or south to city of refuge or discover the beautiful black sand beaches. Stop at the Manago hotel for pork chops too.. lol.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,344,280 times
While winter can bring storms, I would not hesitate one moment to book a trip. I've spent a week on Kauai first of January and never rained on once.

Christmas through April is the height of our high season so book your reservation now or you will have trouble finding something.

Big Island can easily fit the bill but DISCLOSURE! I live here and I think it's the best! Kailua Kona or the Waikoloa resorts should make you happy.

Book your car now too (for the whole week) or you won't have one when you land!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Christmas through April is the height of our high season so book your reservation now or you will have trouble finding something.

Big Island can easily fit the bill but DISCLOSURE! I live here and I think it's the best! Kailua Kona or the Waikoloa resorts should make you happy.

Thank you. This is one tough decision to make, every island looks so interesting and stunning!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarii_HNL View Post
Stop at the Manago hotel for pork chops too.. lol.
you had me at pork chops

Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think the place you are describing is on Maui - specifically in the Wailea/Kihei area.

Keep in mind that December is the wet season in Hawaii - you may get 7 clear days but you never know that time of year.
Wailea Beach looks beautiful! I checked the Four Seasons and I'm having trouble finding the exact dates so I better decide and book something quick.

Thank you.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 PM

By the way, how is the food? something I must try?

I'm not a picky eater and I'll try anything, spicy food is a plus for me.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 PM

181 posts, read 582,976 times
Big Island, Kailua kona would be my pick for you, but make sure you get a condo, not a hotel room. Five wouldn't fit in most hotel rooms anyway. Condos are going to give you space. Not to mention a nice full kitchen where you can save money by not having to go out to eat 3 times a day.

The Big Island is MUCH bigger than all the other islands combined, so you'll have plenty to see and do.

Check the weather forecast and visit the wet side of the island on a day when it isn't raining. Its lush green valleys are what many people think of when they imagine what Hawaii is like.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:04 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,218,662 times
Check out the Beach Villas in Ko'Olina on Oahu. Oceanfront condos with the best swimming beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii