Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think this is a pretty good analysis of the situation...
And at one time they said Al Qaeda couldn't "hit" the homeland either. The problem with "conventional" military analysis is that they assume the "enemy" doesn't think outside the box. We have no reason to assume that North Korea is planning to launch missles from their soil. Missiles can be launched from ships, aircraft, or other countries. The North Korean nuclear weapons program is financed by Iran and made possible by Iranian scientists. They detonate the test weapons in North Korea because Israel would never allow testing in Iran or Syria. There are bigger problems here than just the fat kid's tantrum threats and some bad photoshopping.

That all being said, I believe Hawaii is safe. South Korea and Japan are far easier targets to hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
And at one time they said Al Qaeda couldn't "hit" the homeland either.
Note that the analysis didn't say they wouldn't ever be able to hit Hawai'i, just that they couldn't hit it now... even empty. And they don't have a nuclear device that would fit in a missile. Maybe in 5 years, I dunno, but not now. And meanwhile now we're getting new Interceptor missile coverage that was formerly planned for the Europe, so it's already in the pipeline.

And the stark reality is that if they did happen to squeeze off a shot that got through our defenses, we've still got them outgunned by thousands to one, and could reduce their country to a rubble field in no time if they attack us. KJU must realize that. He spent years going to school outside N Korea, he must have some perspective on the realities.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,352 times
From what I'm reading, N. Korea does have one missile with a range long enough to hit most of the coast of California, but that's about it. In order to get it farther inland, they'd have to launch it from a ship at sea.

But, for places like Guam and Hawaii, they'd have to score a direct hit. On the west coast of the US mainland, they only need to hit solid ground with a nuke. It's the radio-active cloud that would drift and contaminate the country, making food sources unsafe.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
I hope no one is losing sleep over these empty, bombastic threats. Just business as usual.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:07 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
My three year old nephew is like this sometimes. His mother puts him in his room and he screams, cries, falls down and kicks his feet - and then tires himself out and he falls asleep. When he comes out he behaves. That's basically what they should do with North Korea. Just ignore fat boy.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM

82 posts, read 205,336 times
That omnipresent huge white ball sitting atop the platform in Pearl Harbor is there for a good reason...

Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
The most dangerous threat from a N. Korean nuclear missile would be to detonate a Nuke 200 to 300 miles above the N. American continent. The Electromagnetic Pulse generated from an explosion like this would knock out a huge percentage of the North American electric grid, most of the computer electronics that our economy depends on and the biggest share of our transportation system. Such an event would take years to recover from and would cause millions of deaths. One example would be medicines that require refrigeration. There are hundreds of Diabetics that depend on Insulin that would be in mortal danger without a ready supply in just a few days. We live in a "just in time" business economy and a disruption that an EMP event would create would result in immediate problems.

GL2

Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 AM

431 posts, read 939,685 times
Seriously, gang....if anyone decides to launch a nuclear weapon, we'd be fried. Suggestion? Okay...here goes.
Grab the Haagen-Daaz, NY hotdogs, perfect poke, excellent Scotch whiskey. Grab your SO. Acknowledge that this is the end. Everyone has to go eventually, and we all go differently. This is our fate. Raise a toast to those who may survive and wish them well.
Agree that it could have been so much better, had we joined hands and bonded. But we did not.
Sucks, but there it is.
And on this sadly bittersweet note, I shed a tear.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 04-01-2013 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,330 times
Unless the North Korean leaders are collectively stupid or suicidally insane (which is improbable, if not impossible), what conceivable motivation would they have to launch an unprovoked nuclear attack on anyone? We'd respond in kind, and they'd be vaporized within minutes of their own attack. Unlike with Al Qaida, everyone knows where to hit them. They have no allies who would stand by them, so WW III wouldn't likely be triggered. They're like the bully in 10th grade who used to threaten to follow me home from school and kick my okole, but never did. Anyway, do we not have the capability to intercept a North Korean nuke before it reached Hawaii, assuming it was launched from North Korea?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
A lot of the defensive missile tests missed.... we're not as good as we would wish on that front.

It IS the EMP burst that is a concern... not really being hit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: