Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A lot of the defensive missile tests missed.... we're not as good as we would wish on that front.

It IS the EMP burst that is a concern... not really being hit.
Ah, I see. And we don't have Jack Bauer to save us at the 11th hour anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Ah, I see. And we don't have Jack Bauer to save us at the 11th hour anymore.

Someone better, if I have to live without my electronics I'll get cranky.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Someone better, if I have to live without my electronics I'll get cranky.
It's been a few years (okay, decades) since I was in Electrical Engineering school, but if I recall correctly, wrapping your house with two layers of aluminum foil will deflect a nuclear-generated electromagnetic pulse. Make sure that the shiny side on the inner layer faces toward your house, and the shiny side on the outer layer faces away from your house; otherwise, a Hollenberg capacitance-vortex grid will develop between the two layers (trust me: you don't want one of those), and you'll need to call in a HELCO team at great expense to discharge it toward the center of mass of whichever island you live on.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
It's been a few years (okay, decades) since I was in Electrical Engineering school, but if I recall correctly, wrapping your house with two layers of aluminum foil will deflect a nuclear-generated electromagnetic pulse. Make sure that the shiny side on the inner layer faces toward your house, and the shiny side on the outer layer faces away from your house; otherwise, a Hollenberg capacitance-vortex grid will develop between the two layers (trust me: you don't want one of those), and you'll need to call in a HELCO team at great expense to discharge it toward the center of mass of whichever island you live on.
Nice. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Hey here is a picture of the forward North Korean Units!

Maybe we should send some folks armed with Melee weapons out in a long boat to beat the hell out of um!!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Actually, I'd like to wrap all the financial data in a couple layers of aluminum foil. If our computers get fried, one would think the bank's computers would be fried, too. Is the data backed up in hard copy anywhere? If I were designing a bank building, I'd design it as a huge Faraday cage.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
The electric grid would be fried during an EMP attack so unless an individual has backup electricity all electric gadgets will be worthless. However for a few thousand dollars a Farady Cage can be built around a garage or small house that will protect all of the electronics enclosed within. Just make sure your backup generator is also enclosed inside the Faraday Cage. I believe a recent issue of either the Scientific American or Popular Science had plans available to build one of the cages.

GL2

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
What's everyone worrying about, Kaua'i's got your back:

Terminal High Altitude Area Defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
I don't know exactly what it is that Rodman said to that guy, but it sure seems to have set him off!!!

quote Rodman to Kim Jong Un after a dozen or so beers,,,, "Ya know man,, you'd be a great BBall player if you were maybe a foot or so taller..."

It's a fact that south koreans are, on average, 2 inches taller than their brethren to the north, something to do with nutrition during the early years..

Aohal and okolemaluna, but stop after 11

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I don't know exactly what it is that Rodman said to that guy, but it sure seems to have set him off!!!

quote Rodman to Kim Jong Un after a dozen or so beers,,,, "Ya know man,, you'd be a great BBall player if you were maybe a foot or so taller..."

It's a fact that south koreans are, on average, 2 inches taller than their brethren to the north, something to do with nutrition during the early years..
Rodman also probably noted that Kim's "Taepodong-2" is lacking in comparison to Obama's "Minuteman III."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: