U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,803,904 times

Advertisements

I've been reading over and over how bad the public schools are in Hawaii. The general consensus is you have to put your children in private schools at an annual cost of about $15,000 to $20,000 per year, per child.

I heard an advertisement on the radio in Minnesota about an on-line replacement for K-12 traditional education in Minnesota called "Connections Academy". They said that in Minnesota, it is free, with no cost. I personally don't know anyone with kids that attend "Connections Academy", so I don't have any personal knowledge if "Connections Academy" is a viable alternative to the traditional public schools.

I checked the "Connections Academy" web site, which you can easily find with Google. They have a state selector on the web site and Hawaii can be selected. The Connections Academy web site said that the semester tuition starts at $2,364 with monthly payments as an option. However, according to the radio commercial I heard, there is no cost in Minnesota. Perhaps there is no cost for some other states too. The web site did not have any information about zero costs for some states.

Perhaps "Connections Academy" would be a solution for people that want to move to Hawaii that have K-12 age children, and cannot afford $15,000 to $20,000 per year, per child. Even if the cost was not free, $2,364 per semester per child would be much more affordable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM

700 posts, read 691,115 times
I went to the American School of Correspondence (out of Chicago), senators kids, hollywood kids, ect got their high school grad degrees there, had no problem getting onto college. My parents were public school teachers. That was the 1970's, think things are better today?

Home school if you can. Public school/source, arts, music, sports.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,400,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I've been reading over and over how bad the public schools are in Hawaii. The general consensus is you have to put your children in private schools at an annual cost of about $15,000 to $20,000 per year, per child..
No, that is not the reality of Hawaii. The reality is that there can be a very wide variance in the quality of public schools, and the parents need to do a lot of research to weed out the under-performing schools. Also, it can be that one school in the area is good, while another is NOT. So, for example, you might have a good K-5, but the 6-8 is under-performing, etc. This is why you'll find that for certain years in might mean "private school", or that you might have one child in public and another in private.

Meanwhile, there are definitely some good private schools that fall way under $15-20K a year!!

As for using online schools to save money, there is more to an education than just books. Pulling your child from in the social aspect of school, friends, athletics, clubs, etc ... over money?

Hawaii is a great place to live, even the educational challenges can be handled with advance planning, and budget choices.

Last edited by CyberCity; 04-21-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM

95 posts, read 267,746 times
Get rid of the poor politicians for starters. One party state will never prosper because there is no balance in opinion.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM

12,971 posts, read 25,333,132 times
Quote:
Perhaps "Connections Academy" would be a solution for people that want to move to Hawaii that have K-12 age children, and cannot afford $15,000 to $20,000 per year, per child. Even if the cost was not free, $2,364 per semester per child would be much more affordable.
Without evaluating the particulars of this offering, in general there are enough different online learning possibilities in the works that I feel a revolution in education across the country... indeed, across the globe ... is just about to blossom.

The old paradigm of teachers in the same room with students largely depends on the knowledge and skill and motivation of the individual teacher, operating within the parameters of the local curriculum and administration, the quality of which is highly variable, and expensive.

Using video and computer technology, however, classes can be taught by master teachers, the best of breed, even if they are half way around the world or no longer living. Yes, you still need the personal touch and some individual instruction, but the local teacher or parent can be freed up from the time consuming repetitive teaching of rote learning, and the tougher lessons they may not be well equipped to handle.

Take a look at Khan Academy lessons, which are not only free to all, but are also highly effective. This is disruptive technology at its best! https://www.khanacademy.org/

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 AM

3,740 posts, read 2,770,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayinhawaii View Post
Get rid of the poor politicians for starters. One party state will never prosper because there is no balance in opinion.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM

189 posts, read 251,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Without evaluating the particulars of this offering, in general there are enough different online learning possibilities in the works that I feel a revolution in education across the country... indeed, across the globe ... is just about to blossom.
I agree completely Open - in medicine I can assess and work with many patients around the world, many of who live so far from good medical care. Granted, I cannot treat all patients as such but the paradigm of 'same room' is quickly going out the door. Education is quickly following as well. It will only benefit our children in the end.

Geography should not be a barrier to solid education - hell, one of my Master's degree was completed from a distance! I whole heatedly support it

Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM

3,753 posts, read 10,453,872 times
Quote:
I've been reading over and over how bad the public schools are in Hawaii. The general consensus is you have to put your children in private schools at an annual cost of about $15,000 to $20,000 per year, per child...
It worked for Pres. Obama....

Old 06-29-2013, 02:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,875,717 times
I think the best way to solve the issue of Hawai'is bad school system is have the voters push the state to offer education voucher to parents who dont want to put there kids into public schools, Parents can use the voucher to attend a charter school, home school.

I think when enough parents push for this and take the offer of vouchers, then the public school system will have to wake up and improve. i believe some areas in the southern states are doing this.

School Choice: Vouchers

Old 06-29-2013, 02:59 PM

10,918 posts, read 14,200,256 times
Vouchers generally only help the wealthy by putting money in the hands of people who can afford $15,000+ private schools - and the average parent works, still can't afford private school with vouchers, and isn't home to home school. Vouchers only take away money from the public school system and just makes the problem even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: