U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Big Island of Hawaii
1,375 posts, read 6,085,884 times
Reputation: 629

Advertisements

For those who celebrate, what are your traditions? Where will you have dinner? What is served?

I just made our reservation for dinner at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano Village. At 4,000 ft elevation, we get to feel like we are back at grandma's house in the winter! This has become a tradition for us when here on the island. My family will be gathering in the mountains of Virginia, so it's a way to feel like we are sharing the experience from a distance. The cozy fire and hot apple cider....I'll be looking forward to it for the next three weeks!

By the way, I called yesterday and was lucky to get an 8:00pm reservation--they serve beginning at 3:00pm and book early. Some folks who are regulars at the Lodge for the holiday book for the next year, from what I understand.

For more about Kilauea Lodge, click here: Kilauea Lodge Click on the Restaurant tab to see a great photo of the gazebo where they serve hot apple cider...it's a perfect mix of comfortable and elegant. And wonderful food.

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 11-02-2007 at 03:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Maui
150 posts, read 699,294 times
Reputation: 79
Default Sounds Wonderful!

Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely, have a great time. I can't wait to experience the holidays in Hawaii. Being I'm from the East Coast this time of year it starts to get really cold, this morning it's in the 40's - brisk to say the least. I am really looking forward to the holiday's and having the weather warm is going to be a welcomed friend!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
 
Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,180,178 times
Reputation: 3878
When I lived with the Akina family back in 1976, we'ld kalua a pig, throw a few turkeys with a bunch of sweet potatoes into the imu, and invite EVERYBODY!!!!!! Quite the feast, seeing as all the guests would bring something as well. Upon leaving, the guests would get a number of very large paper plates stacked with food, most of them would give these to those they knew who were less fortunate. Think I'm going to do the oven roasted kalua pork or turkey thing, was fortunate enough to get the recipe from another member of this forum.

Aloha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Big Island
160 posts, read 464,134 times
Reputation: 63
Jungjohan, that sounds AWESOME! My friends parents had a huge party when they made their last mortgage payment. They got a huge piggy, and stuffed it with cornish hens, pheasants, duck, and tons of veggies. I ate till I almost popped, then ate some more!! Truly one of the best meals I've ever had!
I think I may have seen the Kiluea Lodge on the travel channel. It looked like a great place! Have fun Cyn!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: fern forest, glenwood, hawai'i
850 posts, read 4,228,836 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Think I'm going to do the oven roasted kalua pork or turkey thing, was fortunate enough to get the recipe from another member of this forum.
you know, i was wondering if the kalua oven pork recipe would work for the turkey? don't know if it would turn out the same as putting it in the imu (underground oven)? here in kailua, o'ahu, one of the schools does the imu prep, you bring your protein, whatever it is, in a pan and they kalua it for you for a fee. something like $15 per pan. think i'm going to stick to the traditional bird. i swear by the plastic bag method.

all the restaurants here get into the action and cater "thanksgiving-to-go" meals. even zippy's. another chinese restaurant in kapolei will be doing it and serving noodles as the starch. i think they might include gau gee, too?!
only in hawai'i!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Now in Oregon!
378 posts, read 1,164,248 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
When I lived with the Akina family back in 1976, we'ld kalua a pig, throw a few turkeys with a bunch of sweet potatoes into the imu, and invite EVERYBODY!!!!!! Quite the feast, seeing as all the guests would bring something as well. Upon leaving, the guests would get a number of very large paper plates stacked with food, most of them would give these to those they knew who were less fortunate. Think I'm going to do the oven roasted kalua pork or turkey thing, was fortunate enough to get the recipe from another member of this forum.

Aloha
You've brought forth some memories of when I lived on Kauai...! I miss Hawaiian food so much! Can actually taste what you have described!

As an aside, in 1982, while still a visitor to the Islands, a hurricane hit Kauai (Iwa, I think it was called) the day before Thanksgiving and we watched our room at the Sheraton Poipu go out to sea! Then we moved to Kauai permanently and in 1992 we were hit by Hurricane Iniki! Now we live in Georgia (yuck) but are planning to move to Oregon within the year. Then I 'll hafta watch out for Tsunamis!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
 
Location: fern forest, glenwood, hawai'i
850 posts, read 4,228,836 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoJimo View Post
You've brought forth some memories of when I lived on Kauai...! I miss Hawaiian food so much! Can actually taste what you have described!

As an aside, in 1982, while still a visitor to the Islands, a hurricane hit Kauai (Iwa, I think it was called) the day before Thanksgiving and we watched our room at the Sheraton Poipu go out to sea! Then we moved to Kauai permanently and in 1992 we were hit by Hurricane Iniki! Now we live in Georgia (yuck) but are planning to move to Oregon within the year. Then I 'll hafta watch out for Tsunamis!!!

if you want the recipe for the oven kalua pork or oven laulau, dm me. it's really easy. the only thing is that the pork takes at least 4 hours.

have some very good friends in smyrna, georgia. isn't your state experiencing an extreme drought?

also have family in oregon (forgot the city).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM
 
Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,180,178 times
Reputation: 3878
You could probably do the oven kalua turkey, but you'ld have to debone it first. Definitely calls for some Hawaiian chili pepper water with shoyu, and some Hanalei Poi, an some lomi salmon, little taco and ahi shoyu poki, some manapua, perhaps a little kim chee or won bok, broke da mout!!!!!!! Must be lunch time........

Aloha, and heavy on the mahalos for the recipe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
 
Location: fern forest, glenwood, hawai'i
850 posts, read 4,228,836 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
You could probably do the oven kalua turkey, but you'ld have to debone it first. Definitely calls for some Hawaiian chili pepper water with shoyu, and some Hanalei Poi, an some lomi salmon, little taco and ahi shoyu poki, some manapua, perhaps a little kim chee or won bok, broke da mout!!!!!!! Must be lunch time........

Aloha, and heavy on the mahalos for the recipe

hey, since you like kim chee, i have a really good recipe for kim chee stew. very, very easy to make! also a really good shoyu pork recipe.

forget deboning the turkey. omg! takes too much time. i'm going to stick to the bag. you guessed it, i like easy kine recipes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2007, 01:10 PM
 
Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,180,178 times
Reputation: 3878
Ever try cooking a turkey on a Weber BBQ, not the gas variety, but charcoal. Did it a few years back, had to brine the pelehu, (turkey), first, for around 24 hours, then I think it was two briquettes for every pound of turkey, get the bbq going, when the charcoals were about pau, so was the turkey. Broke da mout, wen bruise da lips!!!!! An no foget trow on some kiawe chips, soaked in water, for a little extra smokey flavor.

Aloha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top