Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Is Hawaii'i the most liberal state in the country? And what makes it so liberal? Interesting info for someone who wants to transplant(move)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
We recently had a 2 term republican Governor. So kind of hard to be the most liberal.

Linda Lingle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We recently had a 2 term republican Governor. So kind of hard to be the most liberal.

Linda Lingle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isnt Hawai"i one of the only states that legalised same sex unions? Or wasnt it the first state to have a universal heathcare system? both very libral Current gov aside what else is liberal?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Is Hawaii'i the most liberal state in the country? And what makes it so liberal? Interesting info for someone who wants to transplant(move)
Define liberal?

When I think of liberal, I think of Seattle, San Francisco, Portland Oregon. Places that are really full-on going after a liberal agenda in every conceivable way. Women with women's rights issues, gay with gay rights issues, environmentalists with environmental issues, public transportation people with pro-transit agendas, recyclers with recyling agendas.

When I think of Hawaii, I think of something more akin to Minnesota. A group of people who aren't really zealous about anything in particular. Laid-back and just generally tolerant. No hatreds against anyone to speak of, in any particular way.

Among many conservatives though, anywhere that Democrats get voted in often, they assume to be some bastion of liberalness. Voting Democratic doesn't make someone liberal. It just makes them be against the Republican seemingly anti-everything agenda. People in Detroit vote Democratic, but they are definitely one of the more conservative least liberal cities (not proactive or progressive in any shape or form).

In short, Hawaii isn't 'liberal'. They just vote 'Democratic'. Probably due to the fact that most people don't fit into that very narrow version of 'to be American' that Republican ideaology stresses so much - i.e. white, straight, bible-oriented, wealth-oriented, career-obsessed, etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Isnt Hawai"i one of the only states that legalised same sex unions? Or wasnt it the first state to have a universal heathcare system? both very libral Current gov aside what else is liberal?
No to both of your questions.

First, no same sex marriage in Hawaii - but allowed in 12 states - so I'll give all those states more liberal points.

Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Universal healthcare - no, you have to go Massachusetts for that. Work less than 20 hours a week at a single employer like many people do in Hawaii and you are out of luck on healthcare. Over 20 hours a week healthcare is mandated but Massachusetts covers more people. So, another point on the liberal scale for them. (and they allow same sex marriage)

Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
No to both of your questions.

First, no same sex marriage in Hawaii - but allowed in 12 states - so I'll give all those states more liberal points.

Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Universal healthcare - no, you have to go Massachusetts for that. Work less than 20 hours a week at a single employer like many people do in Hawaii and you are out of luck on healthcare. Over 20 hours a week healthcare is mandated but Massachusetts covers more people. So, another point on the liberal scale for them. (and they allow same sex marriage)
Hawaii did legalize same sex unions.

Recognition of same-sex unions in Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

further yes hawaii had the first universal health care in the country

Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care - CBS News

Further just my op but i believe Hawai'i was one of the first states to legalise same sex unions? And def the first in universal health care. You maybe right, its not the most liberal now, maybe because of republican gov? But it was one of the most liberal

Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 AM

Oh here another, Hawai'i and Alaska where the first to overturn constitutional bans on same sex unions, thus making it legal i knew i read that someplace.

Timeline of same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 AM

I don't know what to tell you Hawaiian - but a same sex union isn't even close to same sex marriage, which Hawaii does not allow.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you Hawaiian - but a same sex union isn't even close to same sex marriage, which Hawaii does not allow.
Oh i understand. I just didnt know what was going on currently, the last i had heard was they where one of the most liberal states. Anyway thats what i get for being away for so long. Naw we can both be right. Any other firsts in Hawaii'i

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Define liberal?

When I think of liberal, I think of Seattle, San Francisco, Portland Oregon. Places that are really full-on going after a liberal agenda in every conceivable way. Women with women's rights issues, gay with gay rights issues, environmentalists with environmental issues, public transportation people with pro-transit agendas, recyclers with recyling agendas.

When I think of Hawaii, I think of something more akin to Minnesota. A group of people who aren't really zealous about anything in particular. Laid-back and just generally tolerant. No hatreds against anyone to speak of, in any particular way.

Among many conservatives though, anywhere that Democrats get voted in often, they assume to be some bastion of liberalness. Voting Democratic doesn't make someone liberal. It just makes them be against the Republican seemingly anti-everything agenda. People in Detroit vote Democratic, but they are definitely one of the more conservative least liberal cities (not proactive or progressive in any shape or form).

In short, Hawaii isn't 'liberal'. They just vote 'Democratic'. Probably due to the fact that most people don't fit into that very narrow version of 'to be American' that Republican ideology stresses so much - i.e. white, straight, bible-oriented, wealth-oriented, career-obsessed, etc.
Conservatives are generaly for the status quo and not fixing things that aren't broken. Threfore, like most bond proposals that come up for a vote in the Californnia elections, voting against them is the rational thing to do, as most are mere boondogles (witness the high-speed rail project that will strangle the fiscal life out of the state coffers)

We know what "works", for it worked so spendidly that we, this little upstart of a collection of colonies in the "new world" grew, prospered and became the single greatest force for good the world has ever known, and did so in the space of a few short centuries. That is a formula not wisely trifled with under the influence of whatever trifle-de-jour comes down the pike, by every progressivist Tom, Dick, Obama or Harry that thinks that he is smarter than the collected wisdom of countless generations that preceeded him.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Universal Health Care program in Hawaii crush under the weight of infinite demand/cost over-runs, and was replaced by a mandate that employers provide full time workers with health coverage, that has, in turned, belly-flopped, resulting in the need for many workers, especially those on the low end of the socio-economic scale, to work two or three part time jobs?????

This statement is as close to an oxy-moron as can be imagined. We aren't liberal, we just vote overwelmingly for the party of liberalism.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-25-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii