Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM

58 posts, read 134,087 times

Advertisements

According to CNBC's Top State 2013, here is our ranking among the fifty states:

Cost of Doing Business #48
Economy #41
Infrastructure #50
Workforce #45
Quality of Life #1
Technology & Innovation #45
Business Friendliness #40
Education #40
Cost of Living #50
Access to Capital #39

Link: Top State 2013

We're obviously the best for quality of life, but the worst for infrastructure and cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,073,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post

Cost of Doing Business #48
Economy #41
Infrastructure #50
Workforce #45
Quality of Life #1
Technology & Innovation #45
Business Friendliness #40
Education #40
Cost of Living #50
Access to Capital #39

Link: [URL="http://www.cnbc.com/id/100824779"]Top State 2013[/URL]

We're obviously the best for quality of life, but the worst for infrastructure and cost of living.
Talk about seeming contradicitions. How is this possible, I ask???

Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonemon View Post

Cost of Living #50
Well - the good news - apparently retiring early isn't good for you anyway. So keep on working everyone.

Study: Later retirement may help prevent dementia - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
quality of life is subjective, the others aren't, thats why

Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
quality of life is subjective, the others aren't, thats why
It might be "how", but not necessarily "why".

What elements, specifically, provide the quality to life in the Islands? It can't be the other stats cited as they are all in the tank, more or less.

Is it a state-of-mind, the beaches and ocean, the way people interact, the views, or, perhaps, the perceived status/pride/specialness that living in Hawaii provides - like having a 90210 zip code might provide.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It might be "how", but not necessarily "why".

What elements, specifically, provide the quality to life in the Islands? It can't be the other stats cited as they are all in the tank, more or less.

Is it a state-of-mind, the beaches and ocean, the way people interact, the views, or, perhaps, the perceived status/pride/specialness that living in Hawaii provides - like having a 90210 zip code might provide.
hawaii is exotic to a large majority of americans, many cant even afford to visit the place let alone buy a home and live there...

Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
hawaii is exotic to a large majority of americans, many cant even afford to visit the place let alone buy a home and live there...
Exotic and exclusive, and a bit of a status symbol, plus the ocean.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,798 times
I did a quick search since I remember reading about this quality of life study a few days ago. Here are a few links. While it doesn't explain in detail the criteria for determining the quality of life, in general terms it's health of residents, % with health insurance, weather, physical and mental well being. The % of those with health insurance and the health of residents are legitimate factors in quality of life but the others are pretty subjective IMO. I think I remember those quality of life surveys include telephone interviews where people are asked questions about how they feel about their life. I'd think the ability to support yourself without working 2 or 3 jobs and working 60 hours a week would be a huge factor in quality of life. It does seem weird that Hawaii can rank so low on economic factors and so high on "quality of life".
In Pictures: America's Best States to Live - Forbes
America's Top States for Quality of Life: Take a Bow - Yahoo! Finance

Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I did a quick search since I remember reading about this quality of life study a few days ago. Here are a few links. While it doesn't explain in detail the criteria for determining the quality of life, in general terms it's health of residents, % with health insurance, weather, physical and mental well being. The % of those with health insurance and the health of residents are legitimate factors in quality of life but the others are pretty subjective IMO. I think I remember those quality of life surveys include telephone interviews where people are asked questions about how they feel about their life. I'd think the ability to support yourself without working 2 or 3 jobs and working 60 hours a week would be a huge factor in quality of life. It does seem weird that Hawaii can rank so low on economic factors and so high on "quality of life".
In Pictures: America's Best States to Live - Forbes
America's Top States for Quality of Life: Take a Bow - Yahoo! Finance
A lot of that has to do with a high cost of living, and the fact the weather is nice year round, meaning people can get up and outside more often. The Southern US is very poor, and the majority of Americas health problems come from there. I think Colorado is ranked 2nd for quality of life, and I'm sure the outdoor activities play a big role.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Quality of life: The difference between having a driver go out of their way spreading Aloha to let you merge into their lane in Hawaii, and having someone scream and flip you off out of road rage everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: