Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I am a longtime ago resident of Hawai'i, i have other threads on lost local Hawai'i culture and hanabata times from the 70s-80s on this forum.

Im very much aware that the Hawai'i i remember is almost if not gone. What im curous about is, what unique local current culture places for grinds, entertanment or shopping or beaches can you recommend and enjoy. Does any place give you that old Hawaii feeling or Hanabata times feeling as when you grewup there. Or is everything like everywhere else now(starbucks,jack in the box, pizza hut etc). I know Rainbow Drive in is still there.

I would be greatful to hear what you enjoy and recommend. Please don't sweat it if your not from Oahu post anyway for your area because you never know who you can help. And photos, links are fine too. Mahalo Aloha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Yelp is a great place to start.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
On Oahu one of my favorites is Ono Hawaiian Foods. Mmmmmmmm.... Then after that, since you have already eaten WAY more calories then anyone should in one meal, why stop there, go down the street to Leonard's Bakery and grab a fresh Malasada or two. Not enough? Still feel like going crazy? Then after Leonard's head over to Murakami Stadium, catch a game, down a large beer and a Warrior Dog.

If you do all that, you should probably hike both Diamond Head AND Koko head the next morning!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I always have good Chinese food at Hing Hee in Kapahulu. Liliha Bakery always has ono baked goods and the coffee shop is good (especially after PT at the Rehab of the Pacific!). Yum!

Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Liliha Bakery, not even on Liliha??? How come? When I was commuting back and forth between Honozulu and Maui all the time, friends on Maui would be all, "Hey! Can stop Liliha Bakery on your way back, I'm all ono for Liliha malasadas!!" Friends on Oahu would be all, "Hey can stop Komoda Bakery on your way back, I stay all ono for Komoda malasada" Go figur...........My old favorite spot on Maui is Sudas Store, pau now, but back in the day Mrs Sudas chow fun made many an early riser happy.

Alohurp

Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Visit Honokaa next time you're on the Big Island. No chain stores in town at all. Ikeuchi's Hardware is third generation now and a wonderful little hardware store. The People's Theater is still in operation (since 1910, I think) and has now a small cafe during the day with the movies and stage productions at night. If you ever saw the movie "Honokaa Boy" that was centered around the theater although it was in Nihongo (Japanese) and sub-titled in English. Tex Drive Inn still serves malasadas. The entire mainstreet is becoming lively with little shops and such although that is a mix of new and old. Not a chain store in sight, all little mom & pop or small family businesses. Mainstreet (Mamane Street, actually) has an old paniolo look to it with covered boardwalks and Old West looking buildings lining the street.

I still miss Arakawa's & Kilgo's, though. As well as Tasty Broiler, but those were on Oahu.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Leonard's Bakery and grab a fresh Malasada or two.
i was just going to mention this.

can we go back in time? chili rice bowl at chunky's across from the honolulu stadium on king st, or their mahi mahi sandwich. or alex drive in on kalakaua, and get a double peanut butter shake. or how about back store, behind washington intermediate and the ono $0.25 hamburger with mayo?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 AM

337 posts, read 613,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Liliha Bakery, not even on Liliha??? How come? When I was commuting back and forth between Honozulu and Maui all the time, friends on Maui would be all, "Hey! Can stop Liliha Bakery on your way back, I'm all ono for Liliha malasadas!!" Friends on Oahu would be all, "Hey can stop Komoda Bakery on your way back, I stay all ono for Komoda malasada" Go figur...........My old favorite spot on Maui is Sudas Store, pau now, but back in the day Mrs Sudas chow fun made many an early riser happy.

Alohurp

Suda's Store has been open again for a little while now. Its located in the Blackie's Shell gas station off of Piilani Hwy. And yea they still have the chow fun. The kids run the place, but the dad still cuts fish.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 AM

Sam Sato's on Maui in Wailuku industrial, its newer but same old people working there. Ah Fook's is back in Kahului Shopping center. Took them a few year after the store burnt down, but same folks, newer store. I dunno, alot of the old places from when I grew up in Kihei aren't around anymore. I miss Azeka's take out.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 AM

Oh yea, Libby's Manapua on Oahu. Last time I tried to go there they were closed. Go figure, I make it out to Oahu once a year and the one day is the day they close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii