Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,527,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since most people in Hawaii live on Oahu, the statement most people in Hawaii know a few words in Pidgin is likely false. You may want to correct that to other islands except Oahu.

I think most people find Pidgin on Hawaii to be mostly jibberish.

Like a lot people on Oahu don't speak or understand pidgin. More nonsense out of your mouth. Where do you come up with that rubbish?

No, it's you that finds pidgin to be mostly jibberish.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,487,368 times
Anyone who has spent any time at all in Hawai'i is familiar with at least a few words of Hawaiian pidgin, even if they'd never attempt to speak it, because they are so woven into the everyday culture.

Here are a few that come to my mind as fairly widely understood by residents. I'm sure there are others...

Manapua - pork bun with BBQ pork or other filling; pidgin adaption of Hawiian loanwords mea ono pua 'a, meaning delicious pork pastry

Slippahs - rubber sandals; known on mainland as flip-flops

Howzit? - How are you? Casual greeting

Da kine - the kind, the ultimate Hawaiian superlative. "Those are da kine manapuas!"

Broke da mout - broke the mouth; very delicious.

Ono grinds - delicious food; "Ken's shrimp truck has ono grinds."

Kaukau - food, or to eat; adapted from Chinese "chow chow." "I'm ready for kaukau."

Chicken skin - goose pimples

Skosh - a little bit; adapted from Japanese loanword sukoshi. "This poke needs a skosh more salt."

Braddah, sistah - brother, sister

Brah - Bro', or mainland "dude"

Cuz' - cousin; used in the loosest possible sense in Hawai'i because "everybody is family," a friend

Uncle, Aunty - also used in the loosest sense as a respectful term for an elder; Like "sir," and "ma'am" in southern states.

Moke - a big, tough Polynesian man; like "redneck" it can be used as a pejorative, or as a term of self-pride.

Tita - a big, tough Polynesian woman; see above

Tutu - grandmother, an elderly woman

Shishi - pee; "I need to go shishi"

Lolo - crazy

Pau hana - done with work, after work

Shoots - general purpose exclamation like "Yeah." "Shoots, Brah, I'm pau hana. Let's get some beers."

Last edited by OpenD; 09-02-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,331 times
Here are a few more that come to my mind as fairly widely understood by residents.

pupule kolohe lolo okole. yah yah sistahs n braddahs shootz yah?. I care no fo' haole poi dog.

using old school term for lolo.

Pidgin from Oahu. Each island has there own form of pidgin thats unique for there areas.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Fortunately, in 2013, most people no longer speak like that on Oahu.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,840 times
Quote:
Since most people in Hawaii live on Oahu, the statement most people in Hawaii know a few words in Pidgin is likely false.
I have to disagree with you there. I have even heard some Hawaiian Pidgin words being used over here on the mainland.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I have even heard some Hawaiian Pidgin words being used over here on the mainland.
I'll guess the folks who grow up in the Hawaii school system pick it up. Pidgin is so destructive to kids in the Hawaii school system - the writing skills I see from locals are atrocious and they don't get hired for many jobs due to that lack of basic skill.

Anyone ever wonder why people who grew up in Hawaii hold so few local executive level positions, compared to mainland or international transplants? I'll tell you why. Basic writing skills.

Sorry to make them angry, but the folks who grew up here and post on this forum are often a clear example of a lack of basic writing skills.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I'll guess the folks who grow up in the Hawaii school system pick it up. Pidgin is so destructive to kids in the Hawaii school system - the writing skills I see from locals are atrocious and they don't get hired for many jobs due to that lack of basic skill.

Anyone ever wonder why people who grew up in Hawaii hold so few local executive level positions, compared to mainland or international transplants? I'll tell you why. Basic writing skills.

Sorry to make them angry, but the folks who grew up here and post on this forum are often a clear example of a lack of basic writing skills.
Hmm like i said in the past whtviper1, corevalues. Sure we may not have the best spelling etc, but we do know how to take our shoes off when entering another persons home, but you insist on wearing yours?

And no i don't want to get into a contest with you.

Further you assume its pidgin, could it be we don't even pay our teachers a living wage?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Hmm like i said in the past whtviper1, corevalues. Sure we may not have the best spelling etc, but we do know how to take our shoes off when entering another persons home, but you insist on wearing yours?

And no i don't want to get into a contest with you.
Huh? Maybe if the spelling improved then people born in Hawaii would run the larger companies here. Very few people who grew up in Hawaii have senior management positions.

Why is that? Just coincidence?

Maybe blame it on Walmart???

Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Huh? Maybe if the spelling improved then people born in Hawaii would run the larger companies here. Very few people who grew up in Hawaii have senior management positions.

Why is that? Just coincidence?

Maybe blame it on Walmart???
You know viper some of us have no desire to be CEOs ok, some of us just want to enjoy paradise and live with Aloha. The benifits of living the aloha lifestyle is that the riches happen in another form. Are you truely happy viper?

Further before the Wallmarts came, locals ran there own companies.

You kind of remind me of the missionaries who came over to Hawai'i.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know viper some of us have no desire to be CEOs ok, some of us just want to enjoy paradise and live with Aloha. The benifits of living the aloha lifestyle is that the riches happen in another form. Are you truely happy viper?

Further before the Wallmarts came, locals ran there own companies.

You kind of remind me of the missionaries who came over to Hawai'i.
I just got out of the pool. So yeah, pretty happy right now.

If you can afford "paradise" go for it.

Not only do many locals growing up in Hawaii compared to people from the mainland not hold CEO positions - they also don't hold most senior management positions.

Why do you think that is? Hint. Not Walmart.

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-03-2013 at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii