Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,762 times

Advertisements

Popular Hawaii (Hawaiian: Olelo Hawaii). language is a Polynesian group of Austronesian language family . The name of this language is known by the name of Hawaii , the largest island in the Hawaiian Islands and the United States . Hawaiian, along with English is the official language of the state of Hawaii . King Kamehameha III issued the first Constitutional language in Hawaii in 1839 and 1840.
For many reasons, including the once banned in schools, the Hawaii native speakers has declined steadily from the 1830s to the 1950s. Hawaiian basically been replaced by English in 6 of the 7 inhabited islands (except the island of Niihau ). In 2001, the Hawaii native speakers is less than 0.1% of the population statewide. The linguists are concerned about the extinction of this language.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll guess the folks who grow up in the Hawaii school system pick it up. Pidgin is so destructive to kids in the Hawaii school system - the writing skills I see from locals are atrocious and they don't get hired for many jobs due to that lack of basic skill.

Anyone ever wonder why people who grew up in Hawaii hold so few local executive level positions, compared to mainland or international transplants? I'll tell you why. Basic writing skills.

Sorry to make them angry, but the folks who grew up here and post on this forum are often a clear example of a lack of basic writing skills.
That is a different issue. You originally said, "Since most people in Hawaii live on Oahu, the statement most people in Hawaii know a few words in Pidgin is likely false." I disagree with you on this issue. I would say most people on Oahu do know at least a few words of Hawaiian Pidgin. I would also add that many people on the mainland now know a few words of Hawaiian Pidgin. Although, they may not know that the words they are using are Hawaiian Pidgin. I have even seen some of these words used on popular TV shows. (Not talking about Dog The Bounty Hunter. )

Now, to the other issue you brought up. I do see how this could be a serious problem. We are having a similar problem here. Children are starting to incorporate texting lingo into their writings. Things like LOL! OMG! idk... are showing up. Will the teachers, especially in English class, correct this? I sure hope so. However, I do remember our teachers constantly telling us that ain't, ain't a word. That didn't seem to stick because I still hear people using it.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,564 times
Quote:
Huh? Maybe if the spelling improved then people born in Hawaii would run the larger companies here. Very few people who grew up in Hawaii have senior management positions.

Why is that? Just coincidence?

Maybe blame it on Walmart???
That's strange, there doesn't seem to be a dearth of Hawaiʻi-born people holding executive-level and senior management positions at HMSA, Hawaiian Electric, Alexander & Baldwin, Bank of Hawaiʻi, Hawaiian Airlines, Hawaiʻi Pacific Health, First Hawaiian Bank, and Queen's Medical Center.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,957,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's strange, there doesn't seem to be a dearth of Hawaiʻi-born people holding executive-level and senior management positions at HMSA, Hawaiian Electric, Alexander & Baldwin, Bank of Hawaiʻi, Hawaiian Airlines, Hawaiʻi Pacific Health, First Hawaiian Bank, and Queen's Medical Center.
Now that cracked me up first thing in the morning - at a very large organization you listed, maybe 2 in 10 people at the Director level and above were born in Hawaii.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Now that cracked me up first thing in the morning - at a very large organization you listed, maybe 2 in 10 people at the Director level and above were born in Hawaii.
Considering the "bamboo ceiling" that exists at that particular organization, "2 out of 10 people at the Director level and above" is actually pretty good.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Ah - so now you want to make it a racial thing - got it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Ah - so now you want to make it a racial thing - got it.
It's not a "racial thing", it's a "cultural thing." Unfortunately, based on your previous posts in this thread, you seem to possess a disrespect toward Hawaiʻi-born people and local culture.

Quote:
Since most people in Hawaii live on Oahu, the statement most people in Hawaii know a few words in Pidgin is likely false. You may want to correct that to other islands except Oahu.

I think most people find Pidgin on Hawaii to be mostly jibberish.
It's ironic and laughable that a person who claims that most people in Hawaiʻi don't know Pidgin uses the same "on vs. in" transposition of Pidgin speakers and the Pidgin spelling for "gibberish."

Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Baloney - you are totally playing a race card implying Asians can't advance in Hawaii because it is cultural.

My point is, if schoolchildren are going to be encouraged to use pidgin, it will have an impact in writing and oral speaking skills. That limits the pool of local qualified applicants and that has a direct impact on who is running organizations.

It is just like ebonics which has similar impacts for african-americans.

Hey Hawaii - got news for you - keep encouraging pidgin but don't be surprised if it impacts your career choice or what opportunities you have. If you don't mind that - go for it.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM

84 posts, read 83,549 times
Quote:
Baloney - you are totally playing a race card implying Asians can't advance in Hawaii because it is cultural.

My point is, if schoolchildren are going to be encouraged to use pidgin, it will have an impact in writing and oral speaking skills. That limits the pool of local qualified applicants and that has a direct impact on who is running organizations.

Hey Hawaii - got news for you - keep encouraging pidgin but don't be surprised if it impacts your career choice or what opportunities you have. If you don't mind that - go for it.
Odd thing is, I don't think that many of them DO mind.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Although it's "on the table", I haven't exactly played the "race card." Keep in mind that we were only discussing one particular organization in Hawaiʻi -- not all of them. Some of the organizations that I listed earlier are headed by folks that were born in Hawaiʻi who happen to be of Asian ancestry.

Quote:

Hey Hawaii - got news for you - keep encouraging pidgin but don't be surprised if it impacts your career choice or what opportunities you have. If you don't mind that - go for it
Pidgin and Standard English aren't mutually exclusive. As long as schoolchildren are taught the differences between Pidgin and Standard English and are fully bilingual in both languages by the time they graduate from high school, I don't see a problem with having a few subjects (like math and science) taught in Pidgin. It's amazing that nearly half a century after the demise of "English standard" schools in Hawaiʻi, that the use of Pidgin in education is still debated.

Here's a link to a PDF entitled "The Demise of the English Standard School System in Hawai'i" if you care to learn more...
https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.e...pdf?sequence=2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii