Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM

84 posts, read 83,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Although it's "on the table", I haven't exactly played the "race card." Keep in mind that we were only discussing one particular organization in Hawaiʻi -- not all of them. Some of the organizations that I listed earlier are headed by folks that were born in Hawaiʻi who happen to be of Asian ancestry.

Pidgin and Standard English aren't mutually exclusive. As long as schoolchildren are taught the differences between Pidgin and Standard English and are fully bilingual in both languages by the time they graduate from high school, I don't see a problem with having a few subjects (like math and science) taught in Pidgin. It's amazing that nearly half a century after the demise of "English standard" schools in Hawaiʻi, that the use of Pidgin in education is still debated.

Here's a link to a PDF entitled "The Demise of the English Standard School System in Hawai'i" if you care to learn more...
https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.e...pdf?sequence=2
IMHO, and I have been on this earth for almost 60 years, the use in school of pidgin, or ebonics or pig-latin etc., is attrocious. What's next, do you want your kids taught in "baby words" goo goo ga ga?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,819,711 times
I am curious, are teachers in Hawaii required to be able to speak and understand Pidgin?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounds Complete View Post
IMHO, and I have been on this earth for almost 60 years, the use in school of pidgin, or ebonics or pig-latin etc., is attrocious. What's next, do you want your kids taught in "baby words" goo goo ga ga?
Well, okay. But just sex-ed!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Well, okay. But just sex-ed!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I am curious, are teachers in Hawaii required to be able to speak and understand Pidgin?
If this was true, wouldn't Hawaiian universities be forced to offer courses in Pidgin for those who would need it as a job requirement?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,987 times
Quote:
What part of the standard English-language expression "mutually exclusive" do you not understand? Pidgin and Standard English can co-exist.

Considering that "atrocious" is only spelled with just one "T", the teaching of standard English probably needs to be improved in some quarters as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
What part of the standard English-language expression "mutually exclusive" do you not understand? Pidgin and Standard English can co-exist.

Considering that "atrocious" is only spelled with just one "T", the teaching of standard English probably needs to be improved in some quarters as well.
Er, Um, trivialities like spelling aside, mutually exclusive means one does NOT coexist with the other, i.e. one excludes the other. You got it exactly wrong - not surprised.

Another pidgin-like error in your post's thinking - spelling and English are two completely different areas. Spelling is the constructions of words, with letters, English is the construction of phrases, sentences, paragraphs, etc., with words.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,265,987 times
Quote:
Er, Um, trivialities like spelling aside, mutually exclusive means one does NOT coexist with the other, i.e. one excludes the other. You got it exactly wrong - not surprised.
I was referencing post #40 in which I wrote...
Quote:
Pidgin and Standard English aren't mutually exclusive.
Thus, it wasn't necessary to add "not" to the subsequent mention of "mutually exclusive" -- it was already implied from the previous post.

Quote:
Another pidgin-like error in your post's thinking - spelling and English are two completely different areas. Spelling is the constructions of words, with letters, English is the construction of phrases, sentences, paragraphs, etc., with words.
Technically, "spelling" is a noun that denotes the "process or activity of writing or naming words with letters or characters." "English" is an adjective that refers to "England or its people or language." The "construction of phrases, sentences, paragraphs, etc., with words" is called "writing" or "speaking" (if using spoken language). Spelling and grammar are relatively important components of the English language. The incorrect usage of either of these components is usually indicative of such negative traits as laziness, ignorance, and lack of education. If you're going to try to "school" someone, at least use the proper spelling, grammar, and definitions.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
So Jonah, what part of pigin do you think is good for the "culture" here in Hawaii. I've already said I believe it holds people back in their careers. I've lost track during intern job fairs UH students will say "Howzit" and we collectively go next.

Not everything is good for a culture. Culturally, the Saudi's chop off hands for theft, I don't subscribe that is a good cultural thing. What is so good about pigin and the love of it so much?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So Jonah, what part of pigin do you think is good for the "culture" here in Hawaii. I've already said I believe it holds people back in their careers. I've lost track during intern job fairs UH students will say "Howzit" and we collectively go next.

Not everything is good for a culture. Culturally, the Saudi's chop off hands for theft, I don't subscribe that is a good cultural thing. What is so good about pigin and the love of it so much?
That's gotta be BS. 'Howzit' and 'hello' are essentially interchangeable in Hawaii.

But, then again, perhaps you didn't hear them correctly, what with all the multi-tasking going on...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii