Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
That's gotta be BS. 'Howzit' and 'hello' are essentially interchangeable in Hawaii.

But, then again, perhaps you didn't hear them correctly, what with all the multi-tasking going on...............
Interchangeable in everyday conversation outside of work perhaps - not appropriate when trying to get an internship when professionalism in a business setting is expected. Howzit isn't appropriate in those settings - that is the point - that howzit isn't helpful in an interview regardless of race/ethnicity.

Hey isn't appropriate either - nor is y'all - or Yo - Sup. Those are interchangeable in some places also - not appropriate in a business setting.

If I was interviewing for a cashier the ABC store - perhaps howzit is ok. Not a job for a business professional.

You and Jonah mind it find it super cool to howzit at work - it isn't super cool to howzit in a job interview for a person nearing college graduation. Where does it end - should they brah us in the interview also?

But, there are plenty of state and local government jobs for pidgin speakers. Sorry for the honesty.

I wish the person who wrote me a private message about his family moving to Kauai as immigrants in the 1890's would post in this thread - it was a really good story about how not speaking pidgin led to better things in life. He/She doesn't want to post but it was a really touching story.

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-04-2013 at 02:53 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,538,869 times
In post #15 of this thread you stated the following (verbatim):

"Since most people in Hawaii live on Oahu, the statement most people in Hawaii know a few words in Pidgin is likely false. You may want to correct that to other islands except Oahu."

Now six pages into this thread, you have completely changed the topic to how much you don't like pidgin and people shouldn't speak pidgin. How are you suddenly around pidgin, did you move to the neighbor islands? It's come to a point where all I can say is you're full of chit, whtviper.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Where did I change my position - I simply stated that those who choose to speak Pidgin or encourage schoolage kids to do so are closing doors that might be open to them if they did not. I'm surrounded by hundreds of people today that don't speak Pidgin. But hey, you want to be rude and name call - go for it if it makes you feel better, I don't subscribe to this weird sensitivity on an internet forum many of the other people do when expressing an opinion.

You know it is true what I say - it just makes you angry.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Where did I change my position - I simply stated that those who choose to speak Pidgin or encourage schoolage kids to do so are closing doors that might be open to them if they did not. I'm surrounded by hundreds of people today that don't speak Pidgin. But hey, you want to be rude and name call - go for it if it makes you feel better, I don't subscribe to this weird sensitivity on an internet forum many of the other people do when expressing an opinion.

You know it is true what I say - it just makes you angry.
Explain my quote in my previous thread.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM

I don't believe the majority of people are speaking pidgin on Oahu - but I don't really have time to do a survey - so, maybe I'm off on that. I do know the ones who do and can't correct themselves to get back to standard english are held back in professional careers.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I don't believe the majority of people are speaking pidgin on Oahu - but I don't really have time to do a survey - so, maybe I'm off on that. I do know the ones who do and can't correct themselves to get back to standard english are held back in professional careers.

I don't agree with your first sentence. I do agree with the bold text. I speak pidgin and standard English. I speak pidgin when it's appropriate, the same goes for standard English. Most other locals I know who are well educated do the same thing. I'm a product of Hawaii public schools. I worked very hard to get myself through college on the Mainland. I have a job that I really like. I guess the point I should make is that speaking pidgin in some situations isn't necessarily the kiss of death.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I guess the point I should make is that speaking pidgin in some situations isn't necessarily the kiss of death.
I'll agree to agree with you - it isn't always the kiss of death - there are "some" people who can make that transition - there are a lot in my opinion who make that transition rather poorly and the written and oral skills suffer.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,283,031 times
Quote:
So Jonah, what part of pigin do you think is good for the "culture" here in Hawaii. I've already said I believe it holds people back in their careers. I've lost track during intern job fairs UH students will say "Howzit" and we collectively go next.

Not everything is good for a culture. Culturally, the Saudi's chop off hands for theft, I don't subscribe that is a good cultural thing. What is so good about pigin and the love of it so much?
That's an excellent question. Pidgin is the language that unites and distinguishes Hawaiʻi locals. It reminds us of our shared history and it serves as a legitimate expression of our ethos. As Jamaicans have "patwa" and Papua New Guineans have "Tok Pisin", Hawaiʻi locals have Pidgin. Earlier in this thread OpenD discussed the history of Pidgin, so I won't repeat it here; however, Hawaiʻi would be a vastly different and less-accomdating place without it.

Most folks in Hawaiʻi that speak Pidgin are also proficient in "standard English", so it's somewhat misleading to state that it holds people back in their "careers." What holds a person back is not knowing when it's appropriate to use Pidgin or "standard English." In "corporate America", the use of Pidgin can be a hindrance; however, in "corporate Hawaiʻi", it can be a useful tool. Several months ago, this topic was covered in a two-part series in the Honolulu Civil Beat...
Fo Teach Pidgin o Not Fo Teach Pidgin - Honolulu Civil Beat
Can or No Can? Pidgin Speakers in the Workforce - Honolulu Civil Beat

Eliminating Pidgin is akin to eliminating the heart and soul of modern Hawaiʻi -- it can be done, but at what cost?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,887,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

Eliminating Pidgin is akin to eliminating the heart and soul of modern Hawaiʻi -- it can be done, but at what cost?
In the dozen-plus times I've been to Hawaii, my experiences with pidgin was akin to: "we belong to the locals only club and you don't" kind of attitude. I would hate to think that this is "the heart and soul of modern Hawaii". I see it as a dividing, rather than uniting thing.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM

106 posts, read 231,324 times
Having worked in financial firms and other legal firms in Hawaii, I have always found it a blessing, not a curse, for someone to be able to turn and speak to a wider range of people and come to a level that makes the other person feel comfortable, and if that is pidgin, then so be it. Many people (althhough not all) can turn the pidgin/local talk on and off complete with accent, on a whim. No difference too to Samoan talk that you hear here in Hawaii also. I don't, of course, but small words too are almost imperative to know such as 'akamai', or 'please kokua', 'grindz' and other stuff. I personally do not use the words in conversation, but that is because I am not from Here, I moved here from the mainland once ago, but I have not slipped into it, but certainly in no way criticize those who do. I'ts simply part of the fabric of these islands, and you can go to New York or Philadelphia or New Orleans or Boston and find a local way or words. I remember a few years ago on some message board, this girl from Philliy said "I have to go down the street and tap the jimmy'. Many of us were like, what??? She was saying she had to go to the automated teller machine and take out money.

But yes, here in business it is used amongst workers and to the public they serve to some degree and at varying levels. I worked at #1 or #2 bank here and amongst the top levels on the elevator amongst peers, it was used.

My opinion, if you work here and do not hear it or experience it, that simply means you are not part of the crowd and people do not feel comfortable enough with you to let it out in your presence. I mean, it may not always be as extreme as in the scene in "Airplane", but it's darned well pretty close at times lol

Airplane! - Jive Scene with Translation [1080p] - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii