Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
You'll have to ask him, but linguists refer to it as "code switching."
Poor Jackie Ku is running around town right saying: "Wat"?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM

438 posts, read 661,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post

As pointed out by UH Professor Laiana Wong in the video below, folks that can't speak Pidgin are somewhat handicapped in Hawaiʻi.
I disagree with this. Folks that can't understand pidgin are somewhat handicapped.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
I disagree with this. Folks that can't understand pidgin are somewhat handicapped.
I would agree to, but unfortunately most people moving to Hawai'i from my perception are not there to blend with the current culture but to make others assimilate theres.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:10 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,639,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
How did Hawaii become english speaking society?
Wasn't Hawaii colonized by the British, which made the natives speak english?
Hawaii, like Mexico City area was one of the most densely populated places in the Western Hemisphere when the Europeans arrived. While the British had a strong influence, there were people from all over the world in Hawaii, including some Chinese that were on Captain Cook's original voyage.

Hawaii's population is the most ethnically mixed in the entire world. Curiously, an other, Iceland, has the most uniform population in the world as most people are very closely related.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I would agree to, but unfortunately most people moving to Hawai'i from my perception are not there to blend with the current culture but to make others assimilate theres.
I don't know who you are meeting here on the islands, but in our part of the Big Island most of the people are here because they love not only the scenery but the people and the customs. We take hula classes (from local kumu), learn how to grow and use the local plants, promote locally arts and crafts, are active members of the Hawaiian Civic Club, etc.

Maybe I see more assimilation because we are in a rural area awayfrom the Wal Marts and McDonalds.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,771,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't know who you are meeting here on the islands, but in our part of the Big Island most of the people are here because they love not only the scenery but the people and the customs. We take hula classes (from local kumu), learn how to grow and use the local plants, promote locally arts and crafts, are active members of the Hawaiian Civic Club, etc.

Maybe I see more assimilation because we are in a rural area awayfrom the Wal Marts and McDonalds.
Well good brah, then your an example of what to do when one moves, embrace the culture, get involved with the community and share aloha for the land and people.

What i mean by assimilation was people moving from the mainland to the islands and expecting others to conform to mainland ideals, way of doing things etc.

Plus im comming from a perception of what i hear on here and oahu.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-05-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,056 times
Quote:

I think it is that way in most areas in Hawaii except O'ahu and maybe a few tourist areas on other islands.

Dreaming Of Hawaii, we are in Na'alehu staying at the Hana Hou Cabins right now. Does every house in Na'alehu have their own rooster or does it just seem that way?

I haven't seen as many chickens running around here as I did on Kauai but it sounds like there is more here! I really like the sound, except the one right next door to us is just learning to crow and hasn't quite got it right yet. His friend the Mouflon Sheep isn't much better.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:06 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Welcome, McFrosty! Unfortunately roosters and barking dogs are ubiquitous in Hawaii. Just hope that coqui frogs never get a foothold here in Ka'u

How long will you be in town? Would you like to meet up?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,056 times
Quote:
Welcome, McFrosty! Unfortunately roosters and barking dogs are ubiquitous in Hawaii. Just hope that coqui frogs never get a foothold here in Ka'u

How long will you be in town? Would you like to meet up?
I can hear at least two coqui frogs right now from the Hana Hou. I kind of like their sound but they are probably a block or two away.

Thanks, but we are heading out early in the morning.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,539,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Other languages like French are being kept 'pure' by government decree to advertisers, publishers, and journalists. They are supposed to invent french words to avoid english ones like 'computer'. So it seems to be a common problem for any language but Spanish, Chinese and English (which are the only growing languages).
I like the way France conducts its self as far as their countries language..

I am sure If the Hawaiian Kingdom Government had their way, the Hawaiian language would be a more fluent language of choice. I love it when I here a conversation spoken in Hawaiian!!!

with all the turmoil of being over thrown, it was much more easy to manipulate the ways of the west into the history of hawaii one, was by language. Would you go on foreign soil and speak their language.. if your going to impose your will over the people? some say its genocide....

the written language was over-run with English as well... as most documents were written in Hawaiian and not in english. the game had to be changed in favor of the english speaking and writing peoples... In doing so many a Hawaiian lost soo much in land ownership as well as their countries independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii