Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Welfare is welfare, handouts are handouts no matter how noble you think they are? I don't know who is more pathetic the lazy bum who has givenup on hope and is sucking on the government tit or the CEO who has had all the opertunities, and is rich and successful sucking on the government tit. Hmmm.

Once again your hate is showing. So what your saying is the government bought the welfare leaches SUVs, gold bracelets? Wow
There is no hate.

The CEO who is "rich" has a duty to maximize his shareholders profit and lower his cost of business. Asking the government for a tax break has a long list of trickle down effects on his employees, share holders, and the larger economy has a whole.

The welfare leech has no benefit to the government. They live off of someone else's work and money. There are no benefits to the economy. They get to eat and live based on taxes taken from people who pay taxes.

There is a very clear difference between the two. Asking for a tax break is not the same thing as taking money from the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Most of us were born and raised "somewhere". Are you hapa haole? You sound like a white, conservative big government military guy.

And I suppose your 100% Hawaiian.

I'm hapa.

That's one thing I hate about Hawaii. The mob mentality. If you don't agree with the democratic way of life, you're seen as a "haole".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I'm hapa.
I certainly hope that you read the TOS for City Data, especially the part about any mis-truths, half-truths, exaggerations, or mis-leading statements being strictly verboten. ONLY the truth is spoken/written here

And, if you are looking for an interesting read in regards to what happens to big business and wall street when greed goes unchecked, try 'Inside Job', highly recommended. However, if you're bibliophobic, or afraid of hurting your lips, it's also available in a film version, free on the internet..

Hope this helps

Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:

To give you a personal example. I went to a private school. There were kids in my school who came from public housing (Kpt). Please tell me how that should be allowed. These people are living off of others peoples work and sending their kids to private school. Excuse me if I have a problem with things like that. If you can afford private school tuition, you can afford to pay for your own house.
I, too was born and raised in Hawaii and I, also attended private schools. Yes, there were girls (all girls school) from welfare families, but they were there because of scholarships. I am certain that you are aware that most private schools have a scholarship program, so it is hardly surprising that there were students in your school from underprivileged backgrounds.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I, too was born and raised in Hawaii and I, also attended private schools. Yes, there were girls (all girls school) from welfare families, but they were there because of scholarships. I am certain that you are aware that most private schools have a scholarship program, so it is hardly surprising that there were students in your school from underprivileged backgrounds.
There were only academic scholarships at my school. And I can assure you, these people were not there on academic scholarship (one of them was in 6th grade math as a junior). They were there for sports.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
There were only academic scholarships at my school. And I can assure you, these people were not there on academic scholarship (one of them was in 6th grade math as a junior). They were there for sports.
Yes, athletic ability is often rewarded at private schools. Scholarships are awarded by the schools and if the school wants better athletes then they will search for those that fit the bill. Personally, I think that scholarships should be based on scholastic merit.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Yes, athletic ability is often rewarded at private schools. Scholarships are awarded by the schools and if the school wants better athletes then they will search for those that fit the bill. Personally, I think that scholarships should be based on scholastic merit.
There were no athletic scholarships at my school that were paid by the school. There were a few minor ones through alumni programs, but nothing that would cover anywhere close to the tuition.

And I agree with you, I have no problem with academic scholarships for the highschool level.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Do not turn this thread into racist bashing. The term "locals" refers to people born and raised here, and sometimes to Hawaiians. There was no information in the article on WHO received the welfare, so unless you have statistics or a reference please leave opinions about the race make-up of welfare recipients out of the conversation.

Thank you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
[quote=Pyramidsurf;31378470]There is no hate.

The CEO who is "rich" has a duty to maximize his shareholders profit and lower his cost of business. Asking the government for a tax break has a long list of trickle down effects on his employees, share holders, and the larger economy has a whole.

The welfare leech has no benefit to the government. They live off of someone else's work and money. There are no benefits to the economy. They get to eat and live based on taxes taken from people who pay taxes.

There is a very clear difference between the two. Asking for a tax break is not the same thing as taking money from the government. End of qoute.

Ya the CEOs duty to his shareholders to maximise profit and etc is often done by cutting wages or getting employees at the cheapest wage possible. I even believe it was you that said in another thread why should employers be required to pay more for "unskilled labor" then min wage? Which appears to be a common attitude. Cont on next post.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-12-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Cont from above post.

So i ask you with the above attitude and the taxbreaks in the past and Regans ideal of a trickle down economy. Who has really benifitted? Shareholders, CEOs!

The fact that you can't see how asking and recieving a taxbreak is basically the same as recieving money from the government or the taxpayer, this supports what i said earlier. What happen to your i think people should be able to sink or swim on there own mentality?

Like i said earlier, a handout is a handout, no matter how well you dress it up or moralize it. I believe this is why most people won't take a conservative seriously or trust them with welfare reform or tax cuts because it has personal agenda written all over it. Please don't forget that i am also a business owner and am angry at people abusing the system. But if we don't have wide spread reform, then nothing will really change.

As a side note. Its understanding that Hawai'i pays more welfare because its has the highest cost of living.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Does the report say that there are more people on welfare in Hawai'i then other states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii