U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,971,341 times

Advertisements

Good luck and sounds like you have it! Amazing horses cows etc are easier than dog cat. It sounds expensive but as Ifigure it it is gonna be $1000 for a dog in the long run... one way. You must have expensive ponies or really love them! You must be breeding what kind you have? If I was gonna be on the isle year round I would have to ship my baby, at this piont no. But will see after this year thanks for the pointers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 AM

16 posts, read 45,635 times
Contact the Maui Polo Or Oahu Polo Association or one of the Equestrian Organizations through Google. Most people I know actually fly their horses around. I know what you mean about horses but unless that horse is worth more than $7-8000 you should leave it on the mainland and buy another one here as the cost is astronomical to get it here and if then there is an age factor. Oh and hay is not like the large bails on the mainland they are condensed and cost over $30 a piece. Being an Equestrian in Hawaii is big bucks so be prepared and do your research. There are lots of horses and Equestrian's but more and more are not buying more horses rather they are letting many go and that includes some of the large ranchers. It is terribly expensive.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM

2,688 posts, read 7,107,327 times
Default A bit of follow-up...

Aloha all,
I posted the original question way back when. After alot of research we decided it was best to find a home for our guy and leave him behind. Yes, it was, indeed closer to $10,000.00 to transport him from Seattle to So. California, board him over then fly him on to Hawaii. Lots and lots of red tape. Our biggest concern was the possibility of him getting ill in transit or collicking enroute from stress. We could never have replaced him. We kept him boarded where he was and our Barn Owner maintained him w/vaccs and trimmings for us until the right person came along. She found a terrific 19 y/o kid and highly accomplished equestian who knew our horse and loved him dearly. She duped him into helping her w/him to see how they got along and we allowed him to ride and jump him w/trainer present. Well, long and very sad story short we finally sent the papers to this young man. handing our fella over to him lock-stock and barrel as a gift...along w/six months paid board.
The card simply read...'With our Aloha'.
Geez... still get a bit choked up talking about him.
Koale

Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,420,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Aloha all,
I posted the original question way back when. After alot of research we decided it was best to find a home for our guy and leave him behind. Yes, it was, indeed closer to $10,000.00 to transport him from Seattle to So. California, board him over then fly him on to Hawaii. Lots and lots of red tape. Our biggest concern was the possibility of him getting ill in transit or collicking enroute from stress. We could never have replaced him. We kept him boarded where he was and our Barn Owner maintained him w/vaccs and trimmings for us until the right person came along. She found a terrific 19 y/o kid and highly accomplished equestian who knew our horse and loved him dearly. She duped him into helping her w/him to see how they got along and we allowed him to ride and jump him w/trainer present. Well, long and very sad story short we finally sent the papers to this young man. handing our fella over to him lock-stock and barrel as a gift...along w/six months paid board.
The card simply read...'With our Aloha'.
Geez... still get a bit choked up talking about him.
Koale
Aloha,
A very difficult and emotional thing to do I feel for you and your horse.
I grew up with many horses and they are family just like my dog.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,785 times
Default shipping price question.

I was wondering if you knew how much it would cost me to ship my horse from Chicago area, Illinois to the island of Hawaii. I believe you are familiar with transporting horses overseas. If I was able to trailer my horse to the closest "launch spot" on the mainland, how much would it be to boat them to the island? Also! I have heard about flying horses, is that true?

PLEASE HELP! Any information you can help me out with would be awesome! I am green when it comes to shipping horses over oceans!

Thank you sooo much,

AUDREY

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: please use DM and not post your e mail addy. thanks.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM

4,919 posts, read 21,907,052 times
Cost vary but the base rate is about $1,500 for sea and $3,500 via airlift from the CA departure points. Will actually be more with all the other fees and such.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,572 times
I am looking to move my horse from Arizona to Hawaii.
Who do you know of that transports via water?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:22 PM

2,688 posts, read 7,107,327 times
Cool hmmm...

Geez...just when my heart starts to settle down this thread pops up again.
Alrighty then...I'd suggest researching Equestrian centers on the Big Island. There are a few nice ones and get some input from them. I'd certainly recommend flying as opposed to shipping due to time involved. Can't help w/quotes on pricing. Just know it's gonna cost you. Good luck to you and your pal. Leaving our horse behind is the only regret I have, at all, about moving to Paradise. It's the only loss that makes it not worth it.
Koale

Old 04-04-2010, 04:36 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,098,711 times
There is a excellent article in Malama Lio: The Hawaii Horse Journal called Shipping Your Horse To (or From, or Within) Hawaii (http://www.malama-lio.com/PDFs/M-L_May_08_web.pdf - broken link) (this is a PDF). The author of the article is an instructor I had a UH-Hilo a few years ago, Sarah Blanchard, who trains horses here on the Big Island.

Although the article is from 2008, there are several contact numbers in it that may be helpful. (If you'd like to view this online with click-able links to the shipper websites, just Google search Shipping Horses to Hawaii by Sarah Blanchard...I can't post the link here, but I did get Ms. Blanchard's permission to reprint the article on a blog for which I write.)

Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,232 times
tikobos, I'm looking at shipping 3 horses from co to hi this summer, and deffinatly the cheaper the better, but these guys are my world so I need to know their safe. As far as transporting them by water, do you know if any companies would let someone ride on the ship as well as the horses? I would love info on any comanys either air or water if you have them.

Thanks a bunch,
Brandi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii