U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 03:20 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,700,083 times

Advertisements

Ocean transport is dangerous for large animals because the motion sickness can cause them to refuse to eat or drink. They can die en route. It was pressure from PETA that caused the ranchers to figure out how to transport them by air.

The options are still the same: Pacific Air Cargo or Aloha Air Cargo. Pac Air has more experience.

Do you know which island you are going to? I couldn't imagine what it would cost to try and keep a horse on Oahu. It might be cheaper to keep it on the Big Island and fly back and forth to take care of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 853 times
Unfortunately I do not have a choice on what island, as we are being stationed on Oahu. The stabling of the horses I’m not concerned with, as they have stables on the military base there. Food is... going to be expensive and I’m anticipating that, but I absolutely cannot trust other people with my horses. I am completely OCD about that and need to find an option that will allow me to be their handler on the trip.
And also, my doggos, get my truck and trailer there, too.

These horses have NO problem eating or drinking... but handling them, their care en-route, etc. is what I’m concerned about.

Last edited by ValkyrieEod; 01-25-2021 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Adding additional information

Old 01-25-2021, 06:59 PM

11,876 posts, read 16,020,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieEod View Post
I am completely OCD about that and need to find an option that will allow me to be their handler on the trip.
You don't have any options that meets your requirements - if you are really OCD about this - I'd focus your energy on who can keep them on the mainland.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:15 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,700,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieEod View Post
I am completely OCD about that and need to find an option that will allow me to be their handler on the trip.
And also, my doggos, get my truck and trailer there, too.

These horses have NO problem eating or drinking... but handling them, their care en-route, etc. is what I’m concerned about.
You're allowed to be the handler for the animals on an air freight transport. Kalitta flies a 747 and can probably fit your truck and trailer on there too, but it would make absolutely no sense considering how much cheaper it would be to barge it over or just rent / buy one when you get to Oahu. Our neighbor recently bought a horse trailer on Oahu and had it shipped over to the BI. Because it was a fraction of the cost of getting one shipped from the mainland.

"These horses have NO problem eating or drinking"

Really? You've seen your horses eating and drinking while struggling to stay standing upright on huge ocean swells while they are driven to the point of madness from unbearable motion sickness and terror sliding around for a week on the Pacific Ocean? A couple of hours with occasional mild turbulence on a 747 certainly sounds more humane. It sounds like you really love your animals and have spent a lot of time riding them. But it doesn't sound like you've ever been on a boat in the open ocean.

Based on what you said your time here is going to be temporary, you might want to consider leaving your horses on the mainland until you return.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 AM

11,021 posts, read 22,302,423 times
You can probably ship the dogs with the horses, the truck and trailer will probably go separately. Or win the lottery and charter a private plane.

Are there ocean freight options for large animals coming from the mainland to Hawaii? Parker Ranch used to ship cattle to Canada using special containers. Due to the Jones Act, they had to ship to Canada because it was too expensive to use a US flagged ship and a foreign flagged vessel can't carry cargo between two US ports. So, they'd ship to Canada, then truck them across the border to get them to the US mainland. I suppose they'd have to send the special containers back as dunnage, dunno if they had critters in them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii