Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Li Hing Mui Daiquiris?!!! Is this what comes of living too close to volcanoes? Whoohoo!
Well, I do love me some daiquiris, yup, but I tried making an avocado version and didn't care for it, which is why I recommended the Avorita.

But for the record, the basic daiquiri is even simpler than the margarita, just three ingredients... rum, lime juice, sugar. It's one of the 6 basic cocktails every bartender MUST know. Sadly, it has fallen somewhat into a dissolute phase, in which many people relate to daiquiris as a foofy strawberry flavored alcoholic slurpee from a dispenser, rather than the manly drink it started out as, invented by a military man in the jungle. Here's a good recipe:

Daiquiri - 2:1:1/3 proportions - 1.5 oz rum, .75 oz lime juice, .25 oz sugar syrup

Matter of fact, the original was concocted in the rough by packing a tumbler with ice, sprinkling a teaspoon of sugar on top, then pouring the lime juice over it to dissolve, followed by the rum, and swirling it around with a spoon until sufficiently mixed and cooled.

It's well documented that the daiquiri was Ernest Hemingway's favorite tipple, and he favored a variation of which I approve... when he could get fresh grapefruit juice, he'd add a teaspoonful.

Quote:
Pele would approve, no doubt, if you used gin.
Gauging by the offerings left for Pele in the park, I think she's into vodka. And for that matter, the going rate around here for obtaining a kahuna's blessing for a new cistern, or cutting down an 'ōhi'a-lehua tree, or launching a new boat, whatever, seems to be two bottles of vodka... one to pour over the object in question, and the other for the kahuna.

Quote:
The Mountain Apple brand of milk at KTA should be produced by the local dairies.
Yes, anything with the Mountain Apple brand on it (milk, beef, eggs, pickled cabbage, and more) is a local product of Hawai'i. KTA has really done a service to the community with this program. KTA Superstores : Mountain Apple Brand

And for something a little different, you can try goat milk from Hawai'i Island Goat Dairy, also on the Hamakua coast. Location

Quote:
Local beef is at KTA as well as Malama markets or at Andrade's, I'm not sure what the name of their store is. They are the store just outside of Honokaa on the way to Waipio valley.
You thinking of JJ's Meat Market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Thanks, OpenD! I'll be mixing up a pitcher of your recipe tomorrow sans the Li Hing! Li Hing powder was banned from the Rain Monkey household after a delightful grandchild decided on her own to add some to her ice cream. Some made it to the ice cream; more made it to her mouth and a lot found its way on the floor. She also decided the family mutt needed Li Hing and so she fed the dog the powder. The dog's snout and tongue was bright orange/red as was the general area surrounding the lips and, of course, the fingers of our granddaughter. No harm done and it was funny up until the mutt decided it needed attention and nuzzled my wife's favorite white linen skirt.........

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Yes, anything with the Mountain Apple brand on it (milk, beef, eggs, pickled cabbage, and more) is a local product of Hawai'i. KTA has really done a service to the community with this program. KTA Superstores : Mountain Apple Brand

And for something a little different, you can try goat milk from Hawai'i Island Goat Dairy, also on the Hamakua coast. Location

You thinking of JJ's Meat Market?
The island Goat cheese is awesome too.
Thanks for information OD and hotzcatz!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Yuppers, it is JJ's Meat Market. They used to have a small shop in the middle of Honokaa town but now they are bigger and on the way to Waipio and sell a lot more than just meat so somehow I forget their name now.

There is a lot of locally produced food on this island. Much more so than Oahu, it's great to have fresh food. Although I don't know of any local sources for rum, you'd think there'd be some with the history of the sugar industry around here. Although, now that sugar's gone, so would rum be had it been here to begin with.

KTA is brilliant with their Mountain Apple brand. The other islands don't have such nice grocery stores. Dunno why not although perhaps because they don't produce as much of a variety of foods? Although, doesn't Oahu have some food manufacturing? Lion Coffee, although they are more of a coffee roasting facility than producers. There's some sausage folks over near Kalihi and ???

Has anyone made a list of what's available and produced locally on this island and where and how to get it? Maybe a webpage for all sorts of local things?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Has anyone made a list of what's available and produced locally on this island and where and how to get it? Maybe a webpage for all sorts of local things?

That is a great idea!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Poi!

It was the staple food of native Hawaiians, and is served as an accompaniment to fish or pork dishes at traditional style feasts. You can buy several kinds of fresh poi at the previously mentioned KTA stores.

Poi to the World! | Big Island Weekly

Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I always think of poi as gravy for kalua pork. My neighbor's mom makes the best poi! She uses Waipio taro and it's 'specially ono!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:18 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I mixed the lomi salmon into the poi recently and it made the poi pretty tasty!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:27 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
I love Fried Poi, it's similar to a croquette, but I've had some that looked more like donut holes - So Ono!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii