Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I do laugh
YES 12 57.14%
NO 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,105 times

Advertisements

Expecting up to 16" of snow by tomorrow here in PA. I am not a happy camper!! I know we're leaving this Summer, even my husband, who's from this area is ready to go. Unfortunately, family drama is keeping me here through this Winter - sigh! God, I'm glad we decided to rent and look around instead of jumping in and buying!!

So, I hope that puts some smug smiles on some faces while you relax with your Mai Tai's and whatevers on the beach!

Is the green envy showing through loud and clear!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM

83 posts, read 279,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Expecting up to 16" of snow by tomorrow here in PA. I am not a happy camper!! I know we're leaving this Summer, even my husband, who's from this area is ready to go. Unfortunately, family drama is keeping me here through this Winter - sigh! God, I'm glad we decided to rent and look around instead of jumping in and buying!!

So, I hope that puts some smug smiles on some faces while you relax with your Mai Tai's and whatevers on the beach!

i think the snow would be enjoyable with the foreknowledge that you would never have to see it again. Much like someone knowing they will be getting out of prison is a month.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,713,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
When you see news footage of people shoveling snow, and wearing layers clothing walking on the snow and falling, etc. Do you get horrible flashbacks and Thank the Hawaiian goddess, Queen Liliuokalani for this tropical paradise where you can still live in the USA, the greatest country in the world, yet still be able have tropical weather and not fake "warm winters" like in South Florida and Southern California. But true summer weather in the dead of winter!!
Ugh! as if! I take offense to this as I live in south Florida.

But you're right, even here in north Miami beach it's like 60 something degrees. highs only topping out in the low 70s today.
I dont mind it much tho, because 10 to 11 months out of the year it's just so dang hot u end up sitting inside in the AC all day, so i'll take a little variety in my temps now. It's bright and sunny here and breezy and cool. Supposed to warm up back into the low 80s by the weekend. When I woke up this morning it was 55 (dies)....

Wishing I was in Hawaii still tho.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer778 View Post
Volcano, Hawaii is the Seattle of Hawaii
Joining the small band of chronic critics here, you seem to say that as if it's something bad. But in fact that is something I say frequently myself, both here and offline. In fact that's exactly what I said earlier in the week to the forum member who had just purchased property in the village and asked me for detailed information about the weather and such.

Aside from the obvious, Volcano is a phenomenal arts colony of quite some reknown, with many well established professional writers and potters and sculptors and painters and printmakers and fine craftsmen, etc. in residence, and several very nice galleries. It is blessed with a unique abundance of endangered wildlife and natural beauty. It's quiet, cool, and meditative, a welcome retreat for folks like myself who have, or have had, highly engaged lives in the world at large and who wish to step out of the madding pace for a little while or longer.

I purchased my property in Volcano years before I intended to retire because I found it to be an extraordinary place which filled me with joy and peacefulness, where I could achieve an inner quiet not easily found in the wild-ride big-city worlds I have inhabited as an adult. I can ride my bike down the hill and over to what is commonly framed as the most active volcano on the planet, and at night I can witness the majesty of the Milky Way against a jet black sky, high over the bubbling orange caldera called Kilauea. That has an extraordinary ability to give me real perspective on my own small place in the universe, and center me up emotionally. But I understand fully that many others, probably most others, can't see the charm. Oh, well! I really wouldn't want it to get crowded. :rolleyes;

As I have said over and over here, an important rule of living a well rounded life is fully embracing the principle behind the saying "Different strokes for different folks." More fully expressed, I find it's more accurate to say "Different strokes for different folks, and for different times." There was a time when I lived two blocks from the ocean and was on the beach every single day. That was then. Now is now. I no longer care for that. But then again, the only constant in life is change. Stop growing and stop changing and you've stopped living.

But surely you must understand this philosophy, having described yourself in previous CD posts as a gay Puerto Rican Mormon, with a Belgian mother, from Manhattan... or is it Montpelier, VT?... who lives in Denver, or is it Wyoming?, or wait... nope, now it's back to NY again... who has a winter home in a gated community in Puerto Rico, but you really want to be in a gated community in Ft. Lauderdale, but now you're looking for a gated community in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas, but maybe not after all because you're trying to open a bank account in Oregon, but still you're interested in Maine... etc.

Surely someone with as tenuous a grasp on real life as you appear to have would not attack someone you know nothing about with an exhortation to "Get a life." But you did! And now here's another snipe from you about Volcano.

I initially called you out for your rudeness to Hotzcatz because she is perhaps the nicest and most patient and most helpful of the long time regulars here, and clearly you were just stirring the pot without concern about possible impact on her. Then your response to me calling you out for bad behavior was to double down and be even more rude to me, creating a fantasy of who you imagined me to be. I'd guess it was most likely a fiction reflecting your inner self more than anything else, because it had nothing to do with who I am at all.

In point of fact I am known here as a very helpful, empathetic person. If you care to check you can find hundreds of posts thanking me for my assistance, thanking me for the research I have provided, even calling me the most helpful member of the Hawai'i Forum. That's a matter of public record, easy to verify. And while the acclaim is nice, what it's really all about for me is being of service to others, promoting a positive attitude and a rational analysis of the situation, as well as having some fun while sharing my posts here.

Unfortunately there are always a few hardheads around the edges, and perpetually sour people who would rather be sarcastic than helpful, who focus on tearing down rather than building up, who may have unresolved personality issues, and who are addicted to mockery and "scoring points" and bullying people from the safety of their anonymous online personas. You've already seen a few of them in action here, snarking their way into this conversation to strike out at me, almost as a knee jerk response. It's not at all attractive, and I find it to be fundamentally pretty sad, but they don't seem to be able to help themselves. Do you really want to be one of them?

I sincerely hope you figure out what you are looking for, and find it. But I can assure you that attacking others won't help you get there.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM

242 posts, read 392,402 times
55F (13C) in Kahului yesterday.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,105 times
20 degrees with a foot of snow in West Chester, PA today! Looks like my reprieve to Oahu next month is back on!! WooHoo!! I will be doing some serious house hunting while there!!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Pro Bowl today. We may get rained on although mid-70s. Photo later.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:04 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post

You've had a rough winter on the east coast this winter! I don't think I would miss the cold and snow at all. Back home, tonight it's going down to -15. On Monday night -25, and Tuesday night -12. Add the wind chill to that to make it even nastier.

Southern California is cooler than most areas in Hawaii now. The lows are in the mid 50s and the highs in the upper 60s or low 70s. I don't miss the snow at all while I'm visiting southern California now, but the weather is nicer about 2,500 southwest of here, in Hawaii.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
We were visiting your island this weekend, whtviper1, and the football game did get rained on a little bit but they didn't seem to mind too much.

It was COLD on Oahu! COLD! COLD! COLD! I had to put on socks, it was that cold. And a sweater, Of course, we were staying up near the top of Tantalus with some friends who didn't have their wood stove going so probably most folks were warmer. It was possibly down to around the mid to lower 50s or so. Might even have been colder in the dark of the night, sure seemed that way.

Generally mainland folks don't realize that most (probably over 90%) of Hawaii houses don't have any heaters. So, if it is fifty degrees outside the house it is ALSO fifty degrees inside the house. BRRRR! And you folks probably own more than one pair of socks, too!

We are home now and at a slightly lower elevation so things are a bit warmer AND we are back with our electric blankets. Whoohoo! Best thing since sliced bread. We will have to find a some for our friends on Oahu, they need electric blankets and possibly don't even know it.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM

83 posts, read 279,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Joining the small band of chronic critics here, you seem to say that as if it's something bad. But in fact that is something I say frequently myself, both here and offline. In fact that's exactly what I said earlier in the week to the forum member who had just purchased property in the village and asked me for detailed information about the weather and such.

Aside from the obvious, Volcano is a phenomenal arts colony of quite some reknown, with many well established professional writers and potters and sculptors and painters and printmakers and fine craftsmen, etc. in residence, and several very nice galleries. It is blessed with a unique abundance of endangered wildlife and natural beauty. It's quiet, cool, and meditative, a welcome retreat for folks like myself who have, or have had, highly engaged lives in the world at large and who wish to step out of the madding pace for a little while or longer.

I purchased my property in Volcano years before I intended to retire because I found it to be an extraordinary place which filled me with joy and peacefulness, where I could achieve an inner quiet not easily found in the wild-ride big-city worlds I have inhabited as an adult. I can ride my bike down the hill and over to what is commonly framed as the most active volcano on the planet, and at night I can witness the majesty of the Milky Way against a jet black sky, high over the bubbling orange caldera called Kilauea. That has an extraordinary ability to give me real perspective on my own small place in the universe, and center me up emotionally. But I understand fully that many others, probably most others, can't see the charm. Oh, well! I really wouldn't want it to get crowded. :rolleyes;

As I have said over and over here, an important rule of living a well rounded life is fully embracing the principle behind the saying "Different strokes for different folks." More fully expressed, I find it's more accurate to say "Different strokes for different folks, and for different times." There was a time when I lived two blocks from the ocean and was on the beach every single day. That was then. Now is now. I no longer care for that. But then again, the only constant in life is change. Stop growing and stop changing and you've stopped living.

But surely you must understand this philosophy, having described yourself in previous CD posts as a gay Puerto Rican Mormon, with a Belgian mother, from Manhattan... or is it Montpelier, VT?... who lives in Denver, or is it Wyoming?, or wait... nope, now it's back to NY again... who has a winter home in a gated community in Puerto Rico, but you really want to be in a gated community in Ft. Lauderdale, but now you're looking for a gated community in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas, but maybe not after all because you're trying to open a bank account in Oregon, but still you're interested in Maine... etc.

Surely someone with as tenuous a grasp on real life as you appear to have would not attack someone you know nothing about with an exhortation to "Get a life." But you did! And now here's another snipe from you about Volcano.

I initially called you out for your rudeness to Hotzcatz because she is perhaps the nicest and most patient and most helpful of the long time regulars here, and clearly you were just stirring the pot without concern about possible impact on her. Then your response to me calling you out for bad behavior was to double down and be even more rude to me, creating a fantasy of who you imagined me to be. I'd guess it was most likely a fiction reflecting your inner self more than anything else, because it had nothing to do with who I am at all.

In point of fact I am known here as a very helpful, empathetic person. If you care to check you can find hundreds of posts thanking me for my assistance, thanking me for the research I have provided, even calling me the most helpful member of the Hawai'i Forum. That's a matter of public record, easy to verify. And while the acclaim is nice, what it's really all about for me is being of service to others, promoting a positive attitude and a rational analysis of the situation, as well as having some fun while sharing my posts here.

Unfortunately there are always a few hardheads around the edges, and perpetually sour people who would rather be sarcastic than helpful, who focus on tearing down rather than building up, who may have unresolved personality issues, and who are addicted to mockery and "scoring points" and bullying people from the safety of their anonymous online personas. You've already seen a few of them in action here, snarking their way into this conversation to strike out at me, almost as a knee jerk response. It's not at all attractive, and I find it to be fundamentally pretty sad, but they don't seem to be able to help themselves. Do you really want to be one of them?

I sincerely hope you figure out what you are looking for, and find it. But I can assure you that attacking others won't help you get there.

Good luck!
I just want to let you know that I will NEVER read this. Ain't nobody got time for that...smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii